Question/observations from my corner of NW AR

KJW

Yeah I noticed it. Thought about mentioning something about it but didn't. I had already mentioned elsewhere that they were adding flights to Orlando. XNA is slowly gaining the flights that Little Rock has and it doesn't. Although I've heard that the decision about Love Field in Dallas could affect flights at XNA. I heard that it could cut down a few flights at XNA and Ft Smith. Little Rock wasn't mentioned but I don't know if they might also potentially lose flights also.

I don't see how it would affect XNA since it's not a Southwest airport and they repeatedly keep saying they don't want to use XNA. For Little Rock it would really help prices significantly as Southwest is already the #1 carrier out of LIT and that would allow Arkansans to connect in Dallas to virtually anywhere via Dallas as opposed to having to go to Houston Hobby or New Orleans first or hope to get a direct from LIT. Thus, prices would drop some at LIT across the board due to competition with Southwest.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how it would affect XNA since it's not a Southwest airport and they repeatedly keep saying they don't want to use XNA. For Little Rock it would really help prices significantly as Southwest is already the #1 carrier out of LIT and that would allow Arkansans to connect in Dallas to virtually anywhere via Dallas as opposed to having to go to Houston Hobby or New Orleans first or hope to get a direct from LIT. Thus, prices would drop some at LIT across the board due to competition with Southwest.

Ah, so LIT might lose some flights but would get more service from Southwest. I can't say I know why it will affect XNA that way. I haven't heard all the details. But I still imagine it will still only be a temporary setback for XNA.

Ah, so LIT might lose some flights but would get more service from Southwest. I can't say I know why it will affect XNA that way. I haven't heard all the details. But I still imagine it will still only be a temporary setback for XNA.

True.

But when do you think XNA will get a low fare airline.

I think JetBlue would be a good choice since they are making Dallas Ft.Worth a focus city, not to mention their New York Hub. They are also getting some smaller aircraft that would probably make them better suited to serve smaller markets.

JetBlue is about my favorite Low Fare Airline.

True.

I think JetBlue would be a good choice since they are making Dallas Ft.Worth a focus city, not to mention their New York Hub. They are also getting some smaller aircraft that would probably make them better suited to serve smaller markets.

JetBlue is a possibility. But I agree with Aporkalypse, Southwest won't be coming anytime soon. We're still too small a market for them.

JetBlue is a possibility. But I agree with Aporkalypse, Southwest won't be coming anytime soon. We're still too small a market for them.

I agree.

Southwest usually doesn't come in very small markets, with the exception of places like Midland/Odessa.

Plus the fact that Tulsa and Kansas City both have flights with Southwest would cut into their existing flights as well as Little Rock.

I agree.

Southwest usually doesn't come in very small markets, with the exception of places like Midland/Odessa.

Plus the fact that Tulsa and Kansas City both have flights with Southwest would cut into their existing flights as well as Little Rock.

True, I think we'd have to grow a lot before Southwest would be willing to come into this area and risk some of their flights in other nearby metros.

What about Independance Air?

They seems to be doing pretty good and are expanding their service westward.

Or even the new US Airways. The merger between US Airways and America West will make the largest (In terms of destinations served) low fare airline in the world. You can fly practically anywhere. They said that they were making the cities: Philadelphia, Charlotte, Las Vegas, and Phoenix hubs. It would pretty much allow you to go anywhere with only 1 lay over.

What about Independance Air?

They seems to be doing pretty good and are expanding their service westward.

Or even the new US Airways. The merger between US Airways and America West will make the largest (In terms of destinations served) low fare airline in the world. You can fly practically anywhere. They said that they were making the cities: Philadelphia, Charlotte, Las Vegas, and Phoenix hubs. It would pretty much allow you to go anywhere with only 1 lay over.

I guess they all could be possibilities. I don't know enough about them to make any guesses if any of them are likely to come and when. But with the difficulties many of the large airlines are having I've wondered if smaller airlines will start becoming a bigger part of the airline industry.

I guess they all could be possibilities. I don't know enough about them to make any guesses if any of them are likely to come and when. But with the difficulties many of the large airlines are having I've wondered if smaller airlines will start becoming a bigger part of the airline industry.

There probably will be more regional and smaller airlines in the future. Airlines like Independance Air, Hooters Air, USA3000 have popped up over the years. Also, low-fare airlines will probably seek out more smaller markets and use smaller aircraft.

Within a few years, a low-fare airline should make their way into the Airport.

By 2010, nearly 1 Million Emplaments are expected at the airport.

There probably will be more regional and smaller airlines in the future. Airlines like Independance Air, Hooters Air, USA3000 have popped up over the years. Also, low-fare airlines will probably seek out more smaller markets and use smaller aircraft.

Within a few years, a low-fare airline should make their way into the Airport.

By 2010, nearly 1 Million Emplaments are expected at the airport.

I would imagine smaller airlines will be a help to XNA until this area meets larger population figures.

I would imagine smaller airlines will be a help to XNA until this area meets larger population figures.

I agree. A low-fare airline that has service with smaller jets is what will help XNA. With a low fare airline, I think demographics of the airport are going to shoot up 20-30% increases over the year before.

Yet, you also have to think of Wal-Mart, the vendors, Tyson Foods, J.B. Hunt, and a sizable population of 1,000,000 within a 50-75 mile radius.

True.

JetBlue has been largely West Coast. My guess would be Air Tran, though none seem that high on coming in right now. XNA's problem is having two larger airports, Tulsa and Springfield-Branson, within a reasonable distance. There's less incentive to add service there.

JetBlue has been largely West Coast. My guess would be Air Tran, though none seem that high on coming in right now. XNA's problem is having two larger airports, Tulsa and Springfield-Branson, within a reasonable distance. There's less incentive to add service there.

I guess I hadn't thought much about Springfield-Branson. I'm pretty sure northwest Arkansas' metro has surpassed Springfield's. But then you do have all those tourists in Branson and I imagine some of them do fly in. Anyway have any numbers to compare between the two?

I guess I hadn't thought much about Springfield-Branson. I'm pretty sure northwest Arkansas' metro has surpassed Springfield's. But then you do have all those tourists in Branson and I imagine some of them do fly in. Anyway have any numbers to compare between the two?

Emplament wise

2004 estimates

Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport - 492,855

Springfield Regional Airport - 354,326

Fort Smith Regional - 90,613

Little Rock National - 1,138,249

Both XNA and SGF (Springfield Branson Regional) are growing at alarming rates, but XNA is growing a little bit faster.

Yet, Springfield has one low fare airline Allegiant Air with flights to Las Vegas and Orlando. I think a low fare airline would be supported in the area, simply due to the number of people that do fly low fare that travel to Kansas City, Tulsa, or Little Rock, just so they can fly cheaper. And with the vast amount of growing business, and population, I can certainly see one in the future.

Emplament wise

2004 estimates

Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport - 492,855

Springfield Regional Airport - 354,326

Fort Smith Regional - 90,613

Little Rock National - 1,138,249

Both XNA and SGF (Springfield Branson Regional) are growing at alarming rates, but XNA is growing a little bit faster.

Yet, Springfield has one low fare airline Allegiant Air with flights to Las Vegas and Orlando. I think a low fare airline would be supported in the area, simply due to the number of people that do fly low fare that travel to Kansas City, Tulsa, or Little Rock, just so they can fly cheaper. And with the vast amount of growing business, and population, I can certainly see one in the future.

Thanks for the figures Matt. Granted we do have a lot of business travel out of XNA but you think we could use some low fare airlines here too.

Thanks for the figures Matt. Granted we do have a lot of business travel out of XNA but you think we could use some low fare airlines here too.

I think we could use a mid-sized low fare airline. It would encourage people to fly a lot more than drive simply because of convienence and price. And with rising gas prices, who knows? There are a lot of people in the area that drive to other airports and I stated before. Not only would it benefit NW Arkansas, but people in Fort Smith, the Ozarks, Southwestern Missouri, and even parts of Oklahoma would enjoy this.

Especially with the U of A, and all the new young families in the area as well. I think it would work well with the airport. It would also drop rates on existing airlines as well and would encourage even more travel. Look at what the Orlando flight has done for XNA, each airline matched the $212.00 ticket within a day, and more travel was reported on those flights from a year ago. That Orlando flight has been doing very well. As long as we don't have the "Southwest Effect", then I think a nice mid-sized low fare would work out well.

Archived