The King in Memphis

Rural King

Another thread of Memphis. Random once again.

Enjoy

Tennessee0002-vi.jpg

First Tennessee Bank Tower, looks alot newer than it is. Its a pretty nice building for being 40 years old. Its actually newer than the UP building, which IMO looks much older in design than First TN.

Tennessee0003-vi.jpg

The Mud Island Tram

Tennessee0078-vi.jpg

Tennessee0099-vi.jpg

Tennessee0101-vi.jpg

Tennessee0103-vi.jpg

100 North Main/UP Building - A classic in my book, which makes me a distinct minority in that opinion I believe.

You can also see that little black tower that nobody ever seems to take pictures of, even me. I always kick myself after I leave town.

Tennessee0104-vi.jpg

Tennessee0105-vi.jpg

Folks always like to play in the fountain.

Tennessee0108-vi.jpg

Another view looking down Main.

Tennessee0113-vi.jpg

Always get a trolley shot or two.

Tennessee0114-vi.jpg

..or a shot or two in the trolley on this trip.

Tennessee0117-vi.jpg

Simply a great sign!!! I love it!!

Tennessee0124-vi.jpg

The Arcade Diner - a Memphis classic. Taken from the trolley.

Tennessee0121-vi.jpg

A few shots from the trolley.

Tennessee0126-vi.jpg

Tennessee0127-vi.jpg

The Orpheum

Tennessee0130-vi.jpg

Tennessee0129-vi.jpg

Tennessee0133-vi.jpg

The Peabody Tower

Tennessee0136-vi.jpg

Beale Street

Tennessee0138-vi.jpg

Tennessee0140-vi.jpg

Tennessee0143-vi.jpg

Tennessee0144-vi.jpg

FedEx Forum

Tennessee0152-vi.jpg

Tennessee0158-vi.jpg

Tennessee0160-vi.jpg

Tennessee0159-vi.jpg

Well thats part 2, hope everyone enjoyed these.

Part 3 will be odds and ends.

@satalac - the "famous" photo will be in part 3, simply ran out of room in part 2.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can also see that little black tower that nobody ever seems to take pictures of, even me. I always kick myself after I leave town.

@satalac - the "famous" photo will be in part 3, simply ran out of room in part 2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The black tower that you speak of is One Memphis Place. Its located at 200 Jefferson Avenue. Its 15 stories tall. My uncle, an attorney used to based out of that building. I worked around the office for a him a while when I was younger and a lot of us who worked in the building called it the "Darth Vader" building. ;)

Thanks for the great feedback. You guys are too kind!!! I really appreciate it though. Makes the time to make these threads definately worth it.

I'm off to make part 3. So in an hour or less part 3 will be up...with the "famous photo". :laugh: You guys are going to love this (I hope :( ). :D

Thanks for the great feedback. You guys are too kind!!! I really appreciate it though. Makes the time to make these threads definately worth it.

I'm off to make part 3. So in an hour or less part 3 will be up...with the "famous photo". :laugh: You guys are going to love this (I hope  :( ). :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice.

Hmmm . . . . The pic of the old Daisy Theatre makes me hungry for those tamales I got at 1 AM!

Funny isn't it, how there's not a soul to be seen on Beale at midday--yeah, I know it's 98 degrees--but it was hot when I was down there in June, but by 10 PM, the place is packed.

I also really liked the little street bands on Beale and the free music in Handy Park.

Nice.

Hmmm . . . . The pic of the old Daisy Theatre makes me hungry for those tamales I got at 1 AM!

Funny isn't it, how there's not a soul to be seen on Beale at midday--yeah, I know it's 98 degrees--but it was hot when I was down there in June, but by 10 PM, the place is packed.

I also really liked the little street bands on Beale and the free music in Handy Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of Handy Park...

ESPN2 had a championship boxing match there a couple of weeks ago that I attended. It was 96 degrees with a heat index of 102. No tellling how hot it was under the lights for the boxers, but it was a standing room only crowd.

@ sleepy -Some of the Blues Bands that play in Handy Park can't be beat. It may just be me, but the "Blues" are much better live and in person.

I've never had a tamale on Beale, I remember in one your threads you showed off such a vendor in front of the Daisy. Would you recommend I try one if I am ever down there when they are selling?

@ sleepy -Some of the Blues Bands that play in Handy Park can't be beat. It may just be me, but the "Blues" are much better live and in person.

I've never had a tamale on Beale, I remember in one your threads you showed off such a vendor in front of the Daisy. Would you recommend I try one if I am ever down there when they are selling?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, buy some by all means. Maybe they just sell them on weekend nights, I'm not sure. If you've been out carousing, it's a great latenight snack. For me, a couple left over were always good for the morning hangover too. lol

All that spicy grease would fix you up just fine!

You can buy tamales on weekends at night from corner vendors all over South Memphis. Tamales worked their way into Delta cuisine because of the "bracero" program from years ago in the 40's and 50's when Mexicans would be given permits to come up to the MidSouth to pick cotton. Of course, the Mexicans were working alongside blacks, and tamales just became part of the area's food. Black BBQ places in the Delta areas of MS and AR frequently sell tamales.

Even in New Orleans, there were streetcorner tamales vendors--Manuel's Tamales was the big one.

There're also a number of blues songs with references to "red hots".

First Tennessee Bank Tower, looks alot newer than it is. Its a pretty nice building for being 40 years old. Its actually newer than the UP building, which IMO looks much older in design than First TN.

100 North Main/UP Building - A classic in my book, which makes me a distinct minority in that opinion I believe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First TN was built in '63 and 100 N.M. in '65, but I agree that the modernist FTN building looks much newer. It is an adaptation of the Seagram Building in New York.

Don't know if I'd say 100 N.M. is a classic, but in 30-35 years...who knows? Nobody was calling the Sterick Building a classic in the 1970s. BTW...with Regions taking over UP, I wonder if a new sign is coming?

Well UP has not been in that tower for a long time. I don't think it will change, since I think would have long ago. I think its just a fixture of 100 North Main now, perhaps if it got a major new tenant they might take it off and put their logo up or something.

When I say 100 NM is a classic, I mean to me. Not so much the public at large. :) I thinks is so stereotypically 60ish and I like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Memphis this weekend for the SHC and I really have to say that it a truly beautiful city. I love the downtown area and the city did a wonderful job with the landscaping for that area. I also paid a visit to beale st and got some great BBQ. I have gain great respect for that city and Nashville has the skyscapers but Memphis streetscape and landscaping is one of a kind.

Archived