The King in Memphis - Odds and Ends

Rural King

Part 3 of Rural King in Memphis. More random photos.

Tennessee0165-vi.jpg

Tennessee0168-vi.jpg

Tennessee0169-vi.jpg

Tennessee0170-vi.jpg

The alley to the best BBQ in Memphis, perhaps all of Tennessee.

Tennessee0171-vi.jpg

Ummm no thats not it.

Tennessee0172-vi.jpg

There we go!!!

Tennessee0173-vi.jpg

The entrance!!! Looks forboding....okay not really.

Tennessee0174-vi.jpg

What the best ribs in Memphis and/or Tennessee look like. Sorry the flash was the only way the photo would take, otherwise there was too little light. Looks like its under a heat lamp don' t it. LOL Trust me it was good.

Tennessee0175-vi.jpg

----------------------------------------------

Famous Picture ahead........

----------------------------------------------

The "Honky Tonk Man"!!! He apparently liked the Redezevous enough to autograph a photo back in his hayday........

Tennessee0178-vi.jpg

What!?!......come on you know he's famous.......what.?.?...........its a picture of a picture you say.....well yeah.....:D.....you guys knew something like this was coming.......come on you knew it was. ;)

-----------------------------------------------

Ahem.....back to photos....

-----------------------------------------------

The Peabody Hotel

Tennessee0187-vi.jpg

Another trolley

Tennessee0190-vi.jpg

Tennessee0192-vi.jpg

Another looking up.

Tennessee0195-vi.jpg

Tennessee0196-vi.jpg

The Memphis Business Journal

Tennessee0197-vi.jpg

Purple.....not my favorite color for a trolley.

Tennessee0199-vi.jpg

Tennessee0202-vi.jpg

Tennessee0204-vi.jpg

Tennessee0206-vi.jpg

A few extra skyline shots.

Tennessee0070-vi.jpg

Tennessee0071-vi.jpg

Tennessee0073-vi.jpg

Tennessee0080-vi.jpg

Mud Island river model

Tennessee0072-vi.jpg

Tennessee0082-vi.jpg

Tennessee0087-vi.jpg

Tennessee0088-vi.jpg

Lets end with a few parting shots of why Memphis is here...the Mississippi River.

Tennessee0075-vi.jpg

Tennessee0074-vi.jpg

THE END! :D

I hope everybody enjoyed the Memphis threads!!! I also everybody got and enjoyed the famous photo bit! :D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, good ol honkey tonk man. and why did you have to put pics of redezevous on there? man i could use some good ol dry rub bbq right now. that's definatly the best bbq in tennessee that i've had so far. and i've had a lot. haha. i like the shots of mud island too. i haven't been there since i was a little kid (and yes dave, i know i'm only 22 :P ).

Thanks for the great responses! Like I have said before people enjoying my picture threads makes it worth the time.

@showtime21 - Memphis is a great city, I think you will really enjoy a future visit there.

@ satalac - I thought you would be amused by the Honky Tonk Man, you're old enough to remember him when he was fairly well known.

Thanks for the great responses! Like I have said before people enjoying my picture threads makes it worth the time.

@showtime21 - Memphis is a great city, I think you will really enjoy a future visit there.

@ satalac - I thought you would be amused by the Honky Tonk Man, you're old enough to remember him when he was fairly well known.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice pics.

Honkey Tonk Man?

I'm too OLD to remember him.

I do remember going to the Memphis auditorium to see Gorgeous George wrassle in the late 50's.

I'm no big fan of the Rendezvous, but the pic sure makes me hungry, better than Minnesota BBQ, that's for sure.

Nice pics.

Honkey Tonk Man?

I'm too OLD to remember him.

I do remember going to the Memphis auditorium to see Gorgeous George wrassle in the late 50's.

I'm no big fan of the Rendezvous, but the pic sure makes me hungry, better than Minnesota BBQ, that's for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lemme guess, you like interstate's bbq better? i haven't been there yet, but we have a neeley's in nashville, and it's really really good.

lemme guess, you like interstate's bbq better? i haven't been there yet, but we have a neeley's in nashville, and it's really really good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My favorite is the Cozy Corner at Danny Thomas and North Parkway, a stone's throw from downtown. Got a wonderful atmosphere. An old dive full of pics and articles from the NY Times, and local and international celebs.

But who cares about that? They sell sliced pork, not pulled. Doesn't really matter to me. Their ribs are really great.

I always get 3 or 4 pounds of sliced pork to take back to Minnesota. Don't get the hot. :w00t:

I ate at Interstate a couple of times, and it was all right. But, I'm not up to doing a "versus" BBQ thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Anything in TN will do. Most MN BBQ is about as authentic as a sloppy joe. lol

Edit: if you ever go down there, Cozy Corner closes at 5 pm.

Great pics....I love all three photo threads. I was in Memphis last weekend and I photographed the South Main/ South Bluffs area and i'm working on a photo thread of my own. It is my first time to post a photo, so i'd like to post a test shot with this reply---just to see if i'm doing it correctly. here goes

DSCF0359.jpg

Great pics....I love all three photo threads.  I was in Memphis last weekend and I photographed the South Main/ South Bluffs area and i'm working on a photo thread of my own.  It is my first time to post a photo, so i'd like to post a test shot with this reply---just to see if i'm doing it correctly.  here goes

DSCF0359.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I look forward to your pics.

Those pics are great!!! Man, that barbecue looks good! I've heard so much about the Rendevous and I have got to go there my next time in Memphis. :D Love the trolley shots too. How far does the line go? Any other details about the trolley would be appreciated.

Those pics are great!!!  Man, that barbecue looks good!  I've heard so much about the Rendevous and  I have got to go there my next time in Memphis.  :D  Love the trolley shots too.  How far does the line go?  Any other details about the trolley would be appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The trolley loops downtown Memphis via Main Street and Riverside Drive. The Riverside line goes directly past the Pyramid and up the alongside the bluff for an amazing view! The Madison Avenue line that connects with the Main Street line goes east on Madison and ends just past Cleveland Avenue. MATA is still in the funding and planning stages for the MATATRAC system that would connect the airport, medical district, and downtown. The slower, vintage trolleys won't be used on the longer route, instead the sleek looking trains similar to the ones in Portland, OR & Houston would be used. Check out this link....

http://www.matatransit.com/mainstreettrolley.html

The trolley loops downtown Memphis via Main Street and Riverside Drive.  The Riverside line goes directly past the Pyramid and up the alongside the bluff for an amazing view!  The Madison Avenue line that connects with the Main Street line goes east on Madison and ends just past Cleveland Avenue.  MATA is still in the funding and planning stages for the MATATRAC system that would connect the airport, medical district, and downtown.  The slower, vintage trolleys won't be used on the longer route, instead the sleek looking trains similar to the ones in Portland, OR & Houston would be used.  Check out this link....

http://www.matatransit.com/mainstreettrolley.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm so glad Memphis still has a functioning trolley system. It's so sad to have seen many old trolley systems in other cities torn out. I'm definitely going to take that trolley my next time in Memphis. When is updated line out to the medical district and the airport sceduled to be built?

I'm so glad Memphis still has a functioning trolley system.  It's so sad to have seen many old trolley systems in other cities torn out.  I'm definitely going to take that trolley my next time in Memphis.  When is updated line out to the medical district and the airport sceduled to be built?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The downtown-med center route (Madison line) has been completed for about a year now.

The downtown-airport route will follow the downtown-med center route, which was constructed to the specs for light rail transit.

From the med center, the exact routing has yet to be determined. One route has the LRT line going down Madison to Cooper, with a right on Cooper to Parkway to the airport.

Estimates at completion are something like 2010.

The present total streetcar mileage in Memphis is about 7 miles.

Archived