Bank to Move to the Capital City

ncsugrad204

The city would love that but it is the private sector that builds and markets it.  I do think there is hope in the old Raleigh Office Supply site, if it happens.  The developer wants to put in less expensive units.  In fact, the current Reynolds building is suppose to be less expensive units than the others and it is a 30 second walk to Ri Ra.    I do wish someone would go into one of the downtown spaces and build a taller condo building that are not all "spec" out with stanless steel fridges, expensive molding, etc.  Build a taller building near the bars that holds a bunch of 20s/30s year olds that eat out every meal, drink a lot of coffee and drink like fish.    Of course, the taller you go the more expensive it is to build.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A coworker of mine called the Reynolds and asked about Quorum units. At one time according to them they were looking at units as cheap as 150k (like Palladium Plaza) but the architect has talked them into 180k or so being the low range.

Notice that The Dawson has taken several of its most expensive units and carved them up in to three smaller units each. Finally the market is starting to notice that 500k+ units just don't sell quickly if at all.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove by the Architechts office for this project today and they had a picture of the Metropolitan hanging out on display...I assume its still a go then eventually.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a great location. I just wonder if it is still not in their plan to promote other small projects or even to get work as project managers. Hey, I am glad it is still being promoted...........

So, back to the original topic. There was another story in the N&O today talking about how RBC would likely receive very little in incentives to move...less that $1mil. Personally I think this is a good idea, the whole incentive thing is getting a little out of hand.

Also mentions that an announcement is to be made next Tuesday at the RBC Center about the HQ move and how large the project will be. I can't wait!!

RBC may get little

Could someone update me on the current state of the bank? Before I moved from NC, well now many years ago, the bank was called Planters National Bank. And then a few years later it was bought out or changed its name to Centura. A few years later I moved away and since Centura was not in my area I lost track. Did Centura merge with another bank to become what it is today?

The part that excites me in this article is "Plans to build a high-profile command center...building their US banking presence".

Friends, a 15-story building tucked in next to The Hudson (on the First Citizens site) isn't "high profile". So possibly their plans include something bigger...although I'm not going to to disappointed with a 15-story building. I'm not going to to disappointed with a 15-story building. I'm not going to to disappointed with a 15-story building. I'm not going to to disappointed with a 15-story building... :D

Dana

Here's the story- http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story...p-9207404c.html

Sounds to me like no one in the media knows what kind of building is going up, which makes the optimist in me think they could have big plans...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an amazing piece of information management, by the way. I've tapped all my usually reliable sources, and I can't even find out when the press conference is! Just called over to the Dntn Raleigh Alliance, and they were very tight-lipped.

That does it. Just going to have to go camp out at the RBC Center until I see the crowd gather...

This is an amazing piece of information management, by the way.  I've tapped all my usually reliable sources, and I can't even find out when the press conference is!  Just called over to the Dntn Raleigh Alliance, and they were very tight-lipped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did the DRA at least confirm that there will be a press conference today? Or are they tight-lipped about that too?

I can't wait to hear the news. Here's hoping for the start of something BIG in downtown. Let's not forget that RBC out of Canada has the $ to make a high profile building. According to the article in the N&O, Centura's profits boosted RBC performance by 32%. Pretty strong growth potential if you ask me. Besides, they sunk $80 million for naming rights to the arena and plan to aqcuire other banks. I am thinking Raleigh's new tallest is on the way...

Jeez, you guys are getting out of hand. :)

I would expect something in the 25 story range. Anything bigger would just be "gravy."

Anyway, they officially announced their move, according to a 1:36pm update to the article in the N&O. They say to expect a decision on a location within the next 60 days and completion by 2008.

Bah, now we get to play the waiting game for two months. But perhaps this will be the catalyst to get more downtown residential projects rolling.

Archived