Bank to Move to the Capital City

ncsugrad204

I can live with 15 floors. Eventually they'll accumulate more employees in the Research Triangle area and want to move into a bigger building. I do wish we could get the big one now, but it'll add to the density anyway.

A dense downtown with low vacancy rates is desirable if we want an atmosphere for more big buildings.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you, MR-2. But don't get TOO dense or the tall buildings will be outlying!!

I can live with 15 floors. Eventually they'll accumulate more employees in the Research Triangle area and want to move into a bigger building. I do wish we could get the big one now, but it'll add to the density anyway.

A dense downtown with low vacancy rates is desirable if we want an atmosphere for more big buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't the Licthin lot on the same block as the old Progress Bldg on Davie St?  If so, that would leave to old First Citizens lot (Martin and Wilmington st) open to further development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Lichtin bldg. (with the library) was proposed on the Progress executive parking lot, which is the space next to the first Progress building in which the Capital City Club is located-- there is a little florist and barber shop on that same lot fronting Fayetteville St.

I'd heard that the Lichtin bldg. had fallen through, so that lot would be a logical place for a new HQ to go.

Progress also bought the block next to thier new tower from First Citizens (the one with Cooper's and the various parking lots) and I had heard that they were planning another mixed use tower on that site as well. Either lot seems a viable location for a 15 story building, the First Citizens site seems like the more logical place for a taller tower.

Isn't there an unnamed Fortune 500 company looking at one of the new developments-either the Quorum or the Reynolds one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Supposedly Ted Reynolds has a "Fortune 500" looking at his proposed 32 story building across from the Clarion. I guess we'll know in the next 60 days if that company turns out to be RBC. (I know that RBC is not a Fortune 500 company) Maybe the rumors are true about SunTrust putting a regional HQ there. I don't care who it is as long as we get two new towers DT.

That's pretty interesting. You wouldn't even see a 15 story building from "the money angle" that Raleigh is generally pictured from. You wouldn't see it from almost any angle really. It would have no benefit to the skyline; it would just make Fayetteville street seem slightly more dense.

I could see it benefitting if they put it it just west of the Wake Co. Criminal Justice Building. Anywhere else and you really need something taller.

I believe the Quorum Center is already filled with tenants for it's 6-7 stories of office space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The office space in Quorum is being leased to three interrelated organizations that hope to benefit from being located in the same building.

The organizations are the Local Government Federal Credit Union, the NC League of Municipalities, and the NC Association of County Commissioners.

The office space in Quorum is being leased to three interrelated organizations that hope to benefit from being located in the same building.

The organizations are the Local Government Federal Credit Union, the NC League of Municipalities, and the NC Association of County Commissioners.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Question: Is it being leased? Or was it purchased----which shows a new financing method. I remember reading and it sounded like they had "purchased" the office space............I could be wrong?

You could be right, actually. I think that the three organizations moving into the Quorum  are operating out of leased office space right now, but perhaps they want to own their space in the new building. Makes sense to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think at least the League and County Commisioners already rent from the Reynolds in buildings close to the Quorum center. I thought I remembered that they bought the space in the Quorum as office condo space. I bet that after the leased 1970's style buildings are vacated, the Reynolds will develop those lots appropriately based on their proximity to the gov't center TTA stop. You may get a cluster of mid and high rises adjacent to Glenwood south as a result, and a resulting, much wider skyline. Anyway, just letting my imagination wander some...

I think at least the League and County Commisioners already rent from the Reynolds in buildings close to the Quorum center. I thought I remembered that they bought the space in the Quorum as office condo space. I bet that after the leased 1970's style buildings are vacated, the Reynolds will develop those lots appropriately based on their proximity to the gov't center TTA stop. You may get a cluster of mid and high rises adjacent to Glenwood south as a result, and a resulting, much wider skyline. Anyway, just letting my imagination wander some...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of imagination (getting a bit off topic), I think something like Central West End in St Louis would work really well in the Glenwood South and adjacent blocks. Very urban street scape with mid rise residential towers.

There's a picture thread on this same site (CWE):

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14014

It would be so great to see a lot of new mid & high rise bldgs. fill in the entire skyline. If Fayetville St. , the area between Wachovia and GloSo, and GloSo itself fully developed with ample bldgs. between 15 and 35-45 stories, Raleigh's skyline would be a massive panorama.

Just one question though, what other tenants could there be? What about a mixed use complex maybe with a hotel and residences on top, sorth of like 900 N. Michigan in Chicago is with Offices, Four Seasons Hotel, and Condos at the top. That would work, right?

NandO story

Hmmm Highwoods is selling a couple of 3 story office buildings in Raleigh. Its almost as though they are raising capital for something. Hmmm I wonder if there is any reason that Highwoods might want to raise capital, maybe a project or something that they might be building, when one of their tenants relocates downtown :-).

NandO story

Hmmm Highwoods is selling a couple of 3 story office buildings in Raleigh. Its almost as though they are raising capital for something. Hmmm I wonder if there is any reason that Highwoods might want to raise capital, maybe a project or something that they might be building, when one of their tenants relocates downtown :-).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know! I thought the same thing :grin:

I was walking down Fay St today, and looked at the old FCB lot and the "Lichten" lot next to PEnergy, and my thoughts are that if the new RBC HQ is going to be less than 200k sf (with retail and condos incl.), I would rather see it go on the Lichten site, as it's probably half the size as the old FCB site on Martin St. That Martin St site has the most potential for a large new tower anywhere along that corridor, and if RBC won't build it or move into a large 25+ story bldg, then I hope they leave it for another tenant.

Archived