Triad's Grocery Competition

DigitalSky

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/508180321

It mentions how some Winn-Dixies were bought out by HT and FL too.

Also, the article doesn't mention this but I saw that there's a new Harris Teeter going up in Battleground Village (?) I think that's the name... There's a sign up at Old Battleground and Battleground's intersection so I think it's somewhere around there. And, just yesterday the sign for the Winn-Dixie at Garden Creek center came down.. HT should move in soon.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Competition here is tight, and there are not many stores in the area that "brings home the bacon" for the chains. The triad is to spread out. The higher volume stores are mainly in Raleigh/Durham and the Charlotte metro. There are too many chain grocery store sites that only do $150-200k per week. Other parts of the country have chain locations approaching $800K-$1M per week. NC has the highest square footage of grocery store space per capita in the country, it probably would be best if more of the WD locations had been converted to other uses.

At the corner of Battleground and Old Battleground. They just recently built a shopping center there, but I think it will be demolished when construction starts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is the shopping center there with Khols, a office building, and a bank in three of the corners. There is/was a vet and a welcome to Greensboro sign or something on the other corner. This is interesting to consider another shopping center that might be out that way.

Sort of a side note..I remember working at the Rite Aid that was on Battleground in the same shopping center that a health food store now occupies. (and a starbucks occupies what used to be a bank). At that time, the Anchor supermarket was Kroger. During the time I worked at Rite Aid, Kroger moved up the street to a new shopping center that now houses Khols. When Kroger moved out, Harris teeter moved in. Then Kroger's here became Harris Teeters, and the Harris teeter closed in the other shopping center I had worked (and at some point the Rite Aid must have too). Seems Harris Teeters like to move about a lot. ( not just from this one example, but several others)

There is the shopping center there with Khols, a office building, and a bank in three of the corners. There is/was a vet and a welcome to Greensboro sign or something on the other corner. This is interesting to consider another shopping center that might be out that way.

It's at the intersection near Horse Pen Creek Rd. Close to the lakes.

I wonder if HT will keep the one at Westridge Square open if they open the one on Horse Pen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I do realize when Harris Teeter swapped out their Greensboro stores with Kroger, they did close some of their other stores (like the one on Battleground that became an Earth Fare). But now, Harris Teeter will keep their store open at Westridge Square along with moving into the old Winn Dixie in Garden Creek Center and building the new store in Battleground Village. Plus, they've got plans to build a 70,000 sq foot store (i think that would make it their largest) in Friendly Center where the old Burlington Industries building was.

It's at the intersection near Horse Pen Creek Rd. Close to the lakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, ..When you were saying old burlington rd, I was thinking the other intersection where westridge turns into old burlington rd on the other side of burlington rd. Burlington RD going North is another beautiful area being turned into shopping centers and apartments etc. :/

I know. It doesn't make much sense to add another shopping center when there are vacancy's in all of the ones to the south, including two big box stores. I'm hoping that the watershed along with Bur Mil Park will make it impossible to build much furthur north.

I know. It doesn't make much sense to add another shopping center when there are vacancy's in all of the ones to the south, including two big box stores. I'm hoping that the watershed along with Bur Mil Park will make it impossible to build much furthur north.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know I just realized I was saying in my last post burlington rd instead of battleground LOL....bbbbb...I really do know where I am...I think ...glad you know what I meant at least too.

I have yet to go out to the new bur mil pool/park since it was redone...that too is such a beautiful part of that area. I went to the bur mil pool off and on with our next door neighbor from time to time when it was just for employees...and then later when it was sold to the city. Good memories there too.

Yes.  I do realize when Harris Teeter swapped out their Greensboro stores with Kroger, they did close some of their other stores (like the one on Battleground that became an Earth Fare).  But now, Harris Teeter will keep their store open at Westridge Square along with moving into the old Winn Dixie in Garden Creek Center and building the new store in Battleground Village.  Plus, they've got plans to build a 70,000 sq foot store (i think that would make it their largest) in Friendly Center where the old Burlington Industries building was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are they going to do with the current HT location at Friendly? It's a fairly new building (late 90's).

I think that building will be demolished so that the new section (and new HT) will be more visble to the rest of Friendly Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's a possibility. I was driving by there today and the area where Burlington Industries was, well I think they're starting to level out the land now.. its muddy and all but they're making progress.. it's kinda cool you can see the Grande from Friendly and Hobbs now

I miss the colorful fountain that used to glow in the night as we rode by BI ... I hated to see that old building go earlier this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a hard building to reuse for retail or residential. From an architectural standpoint the BI building was special, but to a developer's eye, it's just another building in the way.

It was a hard building to reuse for retail or residential.  From an architectural standpoint the BI building was special, but to a developer's eye, it's just another building in the way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh yes but think of how cool that building would have been as residential... now that would have been awesome.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived