Triad's Grocery Competition

DigitalSky

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even trying to make a good impression can costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Rents, utilities, costs of goods, etc can make an unprofitable location a major drain on the like of Fresh Market or Harris Teeter even. Those demographics will have to improve substantially to lure a grocer to the area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Im so happy to see something go in this location. The Winn-Dixie that was there did alot of business, and jump started alot of the retail that has been popping up in that rapidly growing part of Mebane. I like Lowes Foods alot after going their stores in Charlotte. The pre-existing stores in Gibsonville and Graham aren't that great but only because they are in the old Byrd's grocery buildings.

I shop at Lowe's most of the time as I think they have a better selection of products than most of the other grocery stores in town. The one place they are really lacking is in their produce department as they never seem to have great produce. That is an interesting point in regards to their location choices but I would say they seem to land in fairly densely populated areas. The amount of homes in both the New Garden and Guilford College areas is quite substantial. They really started making money when Bi-Lo left and they became the lone grocery store in the Guilford College/Piedmont Parkway area. But I'm sure the new Fresh Market hurts them at New Garden. A location near Forest Oaks would be dynamite as I believe that would make them the lone grocery store in that area as well. Where do Forest Oaks residents have to go for groceries currently?

I will say that I hate how you have to go to three different grocery stores to get the things you need. I usually make a Lowe's trip (for the basics and nothing beats Boar's Head Deli meats), a Whole Foods or Fresh Market trip (Fish, Beef, Produce), and occasionally a HT stop (Usually if they have stuff on sale or if I need produce and can't get to WF or FM).

I've never had that problem in other cities. I've always been able to find one store with everything I need and a high level of quality in all those products.

I think the thing to remember about the Lowes Foods in Gibsonville (as a Gibsonville resident) is that we go there for the convienence. We go there because it is easier than driving to another area (IE: Stoney Creek Food Lion or Harris Teeter in Burlington) just for a few things. I often will choose to go to the Lowes Foods in Gibsonville because I also know I can get in and out of there in a hurry. Their selection may be limited (compared to other Lowes Foods or other Grocery Stores for that matter..because of it's size) ...but it services an area where there is only one choice within a certain distance. Many people in Gibsonville walk-yes, even to the grocery store there...blocks and blocks away. Yes, it could be better...but it's a whole lot better than an empty building sitting there with nothing. :)

very true! being a Gibsonville native, I'll elaborate in the triad off topic thread lol :shades:

Yeah neighborhood grocers are very important. I hope they keep that store in addition to the one on University Dr thats being built. Its also good hear about pedestrian traffic I would expect that to increase due to some of the nice infill developments popping up in that area I notice when I work in the area. :offtopic: this is a little bit off, but it seems everyone home I've visited in Gibsonville has either been new residents from New York and California all on the northeast side of town. Gibsonville is growing fast...

Archived