Harborside

tapestry

Newbie here. I'm trying to help my daughter find an apartment in a safe neighborhood near J&W Harborside. We're heading to Providence next week and need to pull this off very, very quickly (don't ask why!).

Anyway, as a Dad, safety is probably most important (but so are parking, shopping, diversity, etc., etc.)

Any ideas? Is Providence small enough that we shouldn't focus on the HArborside area? Thanks much (and great site/forum)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? :lol:

I wouldn't necessarily focus on the Harborside area. J&W runs frequent shuttle buses from Downcity and Federal Hill to the Harborside campus. Socially and convenience-wise, I suspect your daughter would rather be closer to the main campus Downcity. I'd look for places on Federal Hill, in the Armory, or on the East Side. J&W should have some sort of resources for roommate matching.

The neighbourhood south of the Harborside Campus isn't a bad area though. It's rather isolated though. Allens Ave. which connects the area to Downcity is an industrial area and not someplace you'd want to walk through very often. Any social events taking place at the University or amongst students would likely be in the neighbourhoods closer to Downcity, and your daughter would end up feeling isolated and hassled when it came to transportation. Of course, as a dad, you may be perfectly happy to have her isolated. ;)

PVD-Hoods-MAP.gif

Washington Park is the neighbourhood Harborside is in. It's not a great neighbourhood, but it's right next to some nicer areas south of it in Cranston. Upper and Lower South Providence are notoriously bad neighbourhoods. I wouldn't suggest a young woman to live there on her own, especially if this is her first time living in a city.

Downtown is where the J&W main campus is. Federal Hill, West End, College Hill and Fox Point are the areas that are most attractive to a student. Good mix of people, good shopping and dining options, and convenient to the Downtown campus and shuttle to Harborside from Downtown.

If she's going to have a car, you can expand your search further out, Wayland Square, Smith Hill, Elmhurst, Charles... all areas that are attractive, though less urban than the closer in areas. These neighbourhoods will probably provide the most apartments with parking. Anything on the East Side (College Hill, Fox Point, Wayland Square) will be especially difficult when it comes to parking, a lot of places have parking included, but a lot don't, and if you don't have parking on the East Side, it becomes an expensive problem.

Why?  :lol:

I wouldn't necessarily focus on the Harborside area. J&W runs frequent shuttle buses from Downcity and Federal Hill to the Harborside campus. Socially and convenience-wise, I suspect your daughter would rather be closer to the main campus Downcity. I'd look for places on Federal Hill, in the Armory, or on the East Side. J&W should have some sort of resources for roommate matching.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also wouldnt focus on the area immediately around the Harborside. There are some very nice streets, but again - very removed from the rest of the city. Will she have a car? That would make quite a bit of difference. I think Federal Hill could be a very good option. Lots of things you can easily walk too, rent is usually cheaper than the East Side, and its easy to get the JWU shuttles over to Harborside. I suppose a lot of it depends on her personality and interests.

Liam

Archived