Streetscape Design Plan Meeting

GRDadof3

There was apparently a meeting with 20 downtown business owners, residents, the city and the KCCVB to discuss ideas and issues with downtown sidewalks, streetscapes, planters, etc.. A lot of the things discussed have been covered here as well:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...8500.xml&coll=6

Don't miss the second page.

My $.02, the sidewalks on Ionia and Ottawa are horrible, even the sidewalk in front of the Waters Building entrance on Pearl is horrid (right out in front of the Chamber of Commerce door, hello :rolleyes: ).

The reason the riverwalk near Devos Place is not used much is because you can't see it or get to it very easily. And there is no safe way to cross Michigan by the post office.

I don't mind cafe tables on the sidewalks at all, except some of the ones by Blake's Turkey shop are maybe out too far.

I don't mind seeing newspaper boxes on the sidewalks, as long as they are maintained.

I don't mind seeing clothing racks from retailers on the sidewalks, again as long as they are kept tidy.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was apparently a meeting with 20 downtown business owners, residents, the city and the KCCVB to discuss ideas and issues with downtown sidewalks, streetscapes, planters, etc..  A lot of the things discussed have been covered here as well:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...8500.xml&coll=6

Don't miss the second page.

My $.02, the sidewalks on Ionia and Ottawa are horrible, even the sidewalk in front of the Waters Building entrance on Pearl is horrid (right out in front of the Chamber of Commerce door, hello  :rolleyes: ). 

The reason the riverwalk near Devos Place is not used much is because you can't see it or get to it very easily.  And there is no safe way to cross Michigan by the post office.

I don't mind cafe tables on the sidewalks at all, except some of the ones by Blake's Turkey shop are maybe out too far.

I don't mind seeing newspaper boxes on the sidewalks, as long as they are maintained.

I don't mind seeing clothing racks from retailers on the sidewalks, again as long as they are kept tidy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with you 100% on all of your observations. Seeing cafe tables and clothing racks is a lot better than seeing empty storefronts and empty streets.

One thing that I think the city needs to be on the lookout for, as more entertainment venues are added, is the "playing card peddlers" I call them, like they have in Vegas and New Orleans. It is so bad in Vegas that I don't think I'll go back. Is there an ordinance now on the books for things like that?

I think GR would self implode if they had the "pamphlet peddlars" like they do in Vegas. :)

I think you have to have a special permit to pass out materials on the street.

Joe

One thing that I think the city needs to be on the lookout for, as more entertainment venues are added, is the "playing card peddlers" I call them, like they have in Vegas and New Orleans.  It is so bad in Vegas that I don't think I'll go back.  Is there an ordinance now on the books for things like that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think GR would self implode if they had the "pamphlet peddlars" like they do in Vegas. :)

I think you have to have a special permit to pass out materials on the street.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only reason I ask is that I saw a bunch of them in the gutters around Bistro Bella Vita one morning, advertising specials going on at another downtown bar <_<

Archived