Springfield Pictures

HartfordTycoon

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Springfield, it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No they don't. The plight of Hartford-Springfield, the most underrated and misunderstood region in the world. They need to get the damn New Haven-Hartford-Springfield commuter line off of paper and into reality. For the life of me I don't understand the foot-dragging around here. That's why people don't feel sorry for us, because it's our fault we not growing.

No they don't. The plight of Hartford-Springfield, the most underrated and misunderstood region in the world. They need to get the damn New Haven-Hartford-Springfield commuter line off of paper and into reality. For the life of me I don't understand the foot-dragging around here. That's why people don't feel sorry for us, because it's our fault we not growing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, those are the best Springfield skyline pics I have ever seen. Size wise, the skyline reminds me of Providence's. (that is not a shot Prov people!, Springy has a cool skyline)

Whenever I pass dt Springy on 91 I've always said to whoever I was driving with at the time that we should airlift Monarch Place out of Springfield and place it in Hartford. :lol: It's a nice looking 400 footer and I love the lighting on top. Reminds me of those popsicles that the ice cream man used to sell out of his truck.

Springfield is definitly an underrated city with a great skyline. Just driving along I-95 to I-91 in southern CT you see New Haven then up 91 to Hartford and then a little bit farther is Springfield so it is really intersting to have one big metro with three differant cities in it.

Springfield is definitly an underrated city with a great skyline. Just driving along I-95 to I-91 in southern CT you see New Haven then up 91 to Hartford and then a little bit farther is Springfield so it is really intersting to have one big metro with three differant cities in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's really amazing to me when you drive from 95 through Stamford, Bridgeport, New Haven, then Hartford. If you keep going you get to Springfield. So many cities within such a close proximity to one another. You really don't find that anywhere else that I've seen and I have driven the entire east coast from Boston to Miami.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They absolutely do. That commuter rail line would be a real lifeline to Springfield, Hartford and New Haven. Politicians from all three areas have to come together and work on this project. That rail line is owned by Amtrak and used to be double-tracked its entire way from Springfield to NH. ConnDOT should be actively pursuing this project and working with Amtrak to make it happen. Massachusetts politicians need to get their heads out of their asses and stop pretending that the 413 part of the state doesn't exist. Mass needs to be working with CT and Amtrak on the project. There needs to be more cooperation between Hartford, NH and Springfield. They will only be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't cooperate and work with each other to bring out the best in the area.

There's been something in Springfield that I've been incredibly jealous of: that great bridge they have going to West Springfield (?). I like it for a few reasons, first, it's great architecturally. Second, it's a bridge connecting city streets, not a highway passover. Lastly, they did a good job with the lighting at night. Hartford needs a bridge like this. There are no city-street bridges going over to East Hartford. It's be awesome to get a new piece of architecture built like that....

• 6 months later...

There's been something in Springfield that I've been incredibly jealous of: that great bridge they have going to West Springfield (?). I like it for a few reasons, first, it's great architecturally. Second, it's a bridge connecting city streets, not a highway passover. Lastly, they did a good job with the lighting at night. Hartford needs a bridge like this. There are no city-street bridges going over to East Hartford. It's be awesome to get a new piece of architecture built like that....

Ahh.. you mean the Memorial Bridge:

Downtown_Springfield.jpg

another:

BWSpringfield.jpg

Those two were taken right after the bridge was renovated in 1995. Here are some more of Springfield - I took some as part of my photography class in college (I am from West Springfield):

BWChamponile.jpg

SpringfieldSENight.jpg

The last one is from the South End Bridge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Since part of my family originally hails from Chicopee, Springfield has long been a fixture in my life. It's a place with as much history to offer as nearby Hartford. Sadly, it's also one of the most depressing cities in New England.

I think Springfield suffers from the worst luck in New England. Not only does it get shafted by suburban communities in Hampden County, it gets shafted by the rest of the Commonwealth. When I was attending college in Worcester, most of the articles I read in the Telegram & Gazette or Globe about Springfield were written with varying degrees of derision and scorn. It was igorantly portrayed as a impoverished hopeless backwater up the river from "America's filing cabinet" (an equally ignorant portrayal of Hartford by the Globe). Nobody wanted anything to do with Springfield.

Without a large number of champions or supporters on Beacon Hill, Springfield has been left to pull itself out of the doldrums. I agree that city leaders need to continue working to better link Springfield with the Pioneer Valley and Greater Hartford.

By the way, I-91 did a great job of also blocking the Connecticut River off from downtown Springfield in the 1960s.

• 4 weeks later...

After learning of Springfield's existence, this reminded me of something closer to home: Tacoma. Tacoma has long been left to rot in the shadow of Seattle. Seattl egets all of the investment and praise, while Tacoma has only been pissed on. This has FINALLY began to change though. Tacoma has seen some remarkable investment Downtown, especially, and in it's neighborhoods as well. This has been centered around the installment of light rail in the Downtown core. This could help Springfield. You know, I have always liked New England. I love the fall foliage, snow, and history you just don't find here in the Pacific Northwest. As soon as Im done with college, I really to move "back east." Springfield appeals to me because it's affordable and still close to NYC, Boston, Vermont and such. It's very central. Why doesn't the Commonwealth do anything to help pull Springfield out of it's depression?

• 2 weeks later...
After learning of Springfield's existence, this reminded me of something closer to home: Tacoma. Tacoma has long been left to rot in the shadow of Seattle. Seattl egets all of the investment and praise, while Tacoma has only been pissed on. This has FINALLY began to change though. Tacoma has seen some remarkable investment Downtown, especially, and in it's neighborhoods as well. This has been centered around the installment of light rail in the Downtown core. This could help Springfield. You know, I have always liked New England. I love the fall foliage, snow, and history you just don't find here in the Pacific Northwest. As soon as Im done with college, I really to move "back east." Springfield appeals to me because it's affordable and still close to NYC, Boston, Vermont and such. It's very central. Why doesn't the Commonwealth do anything to help pull Springfield out of it's depression?

Actually, SOCOM, that's an interesting observation, and I think I see your point. Take this picture, for example:

SpringfieldSENight.jpg

That reminds me very strongly of this picture taken from East Providence (by Garris, a great photographer and a poster at UP Providence):

66863152.Lq3JlQF4.providencefromeastprov7ye.jpg

It's like a mirror-image! :w00t:

Of course it is. I think the biggest problem facing Massachusetts is that the state capital is also it's major city AND on the edge of the state. I think it would be much wiser to move the capital westward, to say Worcester or even better, SPRINGFIELD.

Archived