►Tallahassee Photo of the Day◄

Florida

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's hard work for me to take a vacation.

About The Leon:

The Leon was built in the early to mid 1800s. I'm not sure why it was torn down or when... but only where it once stood. Even today the location seems enchanted. Surely if I could have just one piece of my city's history back, it would be The Leon. It tears my heart each and every time I lay my eyes on this building to know that it once symbolized the Tallahassee that was Florida's most populous and prosperous city. I think with the fall of this building went Tallahassee's true soul, and in order to reclaim that soul another Leon Hotel must be built true to the original.

TJ, I can certainly understand your enthusiasm for Tallahassee, but I have a feeling that Tallahassee couldn't have stayed Florida's most prosperous city forever, especially with the likes of Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, and so on to compete with. Though I think it's not necessarily the fact that Tallahassee was superior to other Florida cities in population and prosperity that you look upon as much as it is you want Tallahasee to return to it's heyday, which could have been symbolized by the hotel.

But it's always a good thing to keep your hopes for your city through thick and thin...I know I certainly do. :)

You're right... all good things must come to an end, although Tallahassee's decline was self-inflicted by those locals not wanting the city to attract "undesirables". The effort to keep people out worked all to well for this city.

My desire is not to live in a city with the grandest population, I could care less how many people live here so long as things remain comfortable. And the prosperity is still here although less obvious with the destruction of so many treasured landmarks. I'd just like to see some of our old historic treasures return. Probably asking alot I'm sure, but its a fair dream.

I think you could add New Orleans to the list of cities that have done a good job of keeping their historic treasures intact. I have always thought that with all of the problems that the city has had with crime, curruption, education and many other things, it has done a wonderful job of keeping history intact, especially the French Quarter and the Garden District.

Picture of the Day: December 27, 2005

Seasons Greetings

Tallahassee, FL

SeasonsGreetingsfromWashingtonSq.jpg

Washington Square, Downtown Tallahassee

Good stuff, TJ! I love snowmen!

As for the historic cities, Sherman had intended to burn Savannah, but legend has it that he was so amazed with it's beauty that he decided to spare it.