Building Nicknames

SmellyCat

I like the "jukebox" as well. In some ways, I think it can leave more of an impression (a good one) than the beloved BOA tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just curious...other than the "Jukebox" building and the "Darth Vader" building, are there any more towers in Charlotte that have nicknames?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious...other than the "Jukebox" building and the "Darth Vader" building, are there any more towers in Charlotte that have nicknames?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there is the Taj McColl (BofA Corporate), the Pencil Stub (525 N. Tryon), and the Cheese Wedge (Char-Meck Gov't Center). I have heard Hearst referred to as the "giant phallus", but don't think it's used all that often.

I tried to coin a quick witted nick-name for the new arena, but all I come up with is "big ugly hulking brick monolith on East Trade". Don't really think it will catch on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard Hearst Tower referred to as both the Batman building and the Gotham City building. I guess its the art deco/comic book/film noir look it has? Plus, it has those little "ears" on top that are somewhat cowl-like....

There's the ever lasting "Big Gold Building" on Independence that's constantly referred to in car commericals and also the pink glassed building right on 277 but I haven't heard of a nickname for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha - that reminds me of a carpet store commercial that Bob & Sherri used to do. "We're the Ugly Blue Building on Independence" or something like that. Which, is actually not that helpful in narrowing down the location....

There's the ever lasting "Big Gold Building" on Independence that's constantly referred to in car commericals and also the pink glassed building right on 277 but I haven't heard of a nickname for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, what is the deal with those ugly gold windows? It must have been all the rage in the early 70s, as I believe this tower is circa 1972 or so. The gold windowed 400 S. Tryon was built around 1974.

Yeah, what is the deal with those ugly gold windows?  It must have been all the rage in the early 70s, as I believe this tower is circa 1972 or so.  The gold windowed 400 S. Tryon was built around 1974.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building formerlly known as The Wachovia Bldg (pre First Union) and one of the tallest towers in CLT, also has gold windows.

Archived