Big Boy & Burger King

OneSweetWorld

These two resturants drive me crazy. They are right in (or close by..?) downtown, and they are built like they are suburban resturants. I think it should be time to say to them, "DownTown-ize your buildings." I think they would be sweet spots to build a mid-level tower (say, 15-20 stories).

Comments???

Also, just my imagination talking, but wouldnt it be cool to see the new YMCA building go up another 10 or 15 floors? Maybe sell the top floors to some office or somethin, maybe a lil' apartment complex??? Not gonna happen, but it would look cool...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These two resturants drive me crazy. They are right in (or close by..?) downtown, and they are built like they are suburban resturants. I think it should be time to say to them, "DownTown-ize your buildings." I think they would be sweet spots to build a mid-level tower (say, 15-20 stories).

Comments???

Also, just my imagination talking, but wouldnt it be cool to see the new YMCA building go up another 10 or 15 floors? Maybe sell the top floors to some office or somethin, maybe a lil' apartment complex??? Not gonna happen, but it would look cool...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had the same feeling about those places. The sad thing is that Big Boy recently renovated that location and made 0 effort to de-suburbanize the building design. It is far past time for logo buildings like the BK or McDonalds to be prohibited in the DT area, or anywhere to be honest. That particular BK is very popular, and during lunch is packed inside with the drive-in backed up almost to the street. I dont see why they just dont open one up on Monroe Center for the walk-in traffic and have a smaller, seperate site for drive through only. The Former "City Market" site would be a perfect fit for a walk-in location.

I have mixed feelings about The new Y. I love the front of the building allowing you to see the pool area, but I do not like the fact that the sides are just blank walls, the fact that the building has a large surface lot at its rear. The building does nothing for the area in terms of pedestrian traffic, but I guess there isnt anywhere for people to walk just yet. It does present a wonderful view driving west, over the bridge, on Pearl street though.

Archived