Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atlrvr

SouthEnd Projects

1073 posts in this topic

Well.....the condo high-rise at the Lafayette Jewelers site on Morehead fell through. What I heard is the property owner had qualms about the developer, but who's to know. None the less, I'm sure something large will happen with that site in the future due to it's great access and views.

Well.....the condo high-rise at the Lafayette Jewelers site on Morehead fell through.  What I heard is the property owner had qualms about the developer, but who's to know.  None the less, I'm sure something large will happen with that site in the future due to it's great access and views.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atl,

Which one is that? It isn't 615 E. Morehead is it? I thought that was an old motel site.

No no.....615 is still breathing.....this one was never publically announced, but would have been a tower bound by Tryon, College, Morehead and 277.

No no.....615 is still breathing.....this one was never publically announced, but would have been a tower bound by Tryon, College, Morehead and 277.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that where the Uptown Caberet is at??? or are we talking where The coffe shop on the corner. Just curious. I had no idea they were even entertaining a tower there. (it would be a great spo though)

Yep....it was supposed to go where the coffee shop was......it does have a great site. This one was under the radar, and obviously should have been since it would have been a let down.

2800 South Blvd, the large truck/warehouse distribution center across from Home Economist Market has a TODM rezoning request for "higher density residential uses near New Bern Station on new transit line. A maximum of 320 units with structured parking deck" by HHHunt and Crescent. It looks like South Transit and associated redevelopment are continuing to return the ugly industrial areas on south to transit -oriented density.

I think that within 5 years, South Blvd lots will be redeveloped between south end and scaleybark. Lowes will help spur renovations in the remaining ugly part in south end; new bern and scaleybark/clantion stations will almost certain see TOD redevelopment quickly.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-091.htm

North side of New Bern Station I thought was the pepsi plant? Or would this be on the other side of the plant. I'll have to take a look tomorrow.

This would be the "Bonded Distribution" warehouse just north of Pepsi. Though HHHunt typically builds suburban product, this does sound a bit nicer with decked parking. Also, at over 60,000 people per square mile, we are talking serious density.......as a comparison, the city as a whole is only 1,800 people per square mile.

There are a lot of good rezonings this month. It seems like urbanization is gaining tremendous momentum.

They also want to build a little park where the Wachovia bank is now (the one between 3030 South and the Pepsi Building). That would be a nice addition to have...

Is this delayed project really going to be 25 stories, first I've heard of it?

Is that where the Uptown Caberet is at??? or are we talking where The coffe shop on the corner. Just curious. I had no idea they were even entertaining a tower there. (it would be a great spo though)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, just had to comment on the idea of "entertaining" a tower there. From what I've heard, LOTS of entertaining goes on around the Uptown Cabaret. Perhaps they could erect a tower there, instead of entertaining one. Actually, now that I think of it, they probably already do both.

Uptown Caberet itself is erecting an expansion to increase the girth of the building...which will increase the amount of people they can entertain at one time. :)

I noticed that they replaced the spongy dryvit material with something that appears to be hard as rock. And I think you're right, Uptown. Circumferential girth is, in theory, supposed to be able to fill a large space better than height...at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Isn't there some sort of purple pill that will make the building last longer?

Isn't there some sort of purple pill that will make the building last longer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's more phallic references than you can shake a stick at around here.

I'm as geeky (if not more so) as the rest of you. Also guilty of taking the long way home to see what's happening out there.

Noticed this am that grading has begun for Boulevard Centro's new project at he corner of South and McDonald. Don't know if I could handle living there. Too much temptation with Mr K's across the street. I'd be fat in notime.

Actually, that project at South and McD is not Blvd Centro.

It is called the Village Lofts by Merrifield Properties.

http://www.thevillagelofts.com

Here are some photos i took last month:

18281417-L.jpg

18281411-L.jpg

18281424-L.jpg

I'm as geeky (if not more so) as the rest of you.

I think some of us could give you a run for your money... :P

Neo, my bad. I guess when everything starts to look like David Furman architecture, I assume it's Blvd Centro. Points deducted for me on not being as observant as I should. I guess I just associate Merrifield with industrial stuff, not residential.

Wonder if there's a way to test who is the geekiest of us? Hmmm.

lol... make that 2 points, as it was me :).

it really is amazing how these projects are starting to create a style that is congruous with furman's foundation. I am happy that it is happening.

In the spirit of Atlrvr's tirade (in a good way) about forward looking architecture, the furmanesque style that is starting to be common use traditional meterials, but in a forward looking, fresh way. I think they will actually age well (AND they seem to be selling well, too).

I agree......I tend to like his style, and think that most of it will age fairly gracefully......a bit more use of modern materials and some offset angles wouldn't hurt, but this is a thousand times better than the fake-neo-classical styles that were so common 10 years ago......

AN you're right, this is creating an identity, which is a good thing, because we want our city to be recognizeable to people who have never even been here, just like I can pick out Boston on San Fran from a photo of some back alley.

Here's a project that was announced for SouthEnd about 2 months ago....there is now a rendering up. I believe they start construction in a couple months on this one.

http://www.abbotttownhomes.com/index.php

It looks really good for the area. A good mix of brick and glass in a more modern design than most warehouse/loft styled throwbacks.

Again, it's almost got that Furman look, but it's not.....slowly we are developing an architectual identity.

Actually, that project at South and McD is not Blvd Centro.

It is called the Village Lofts by Merrifield Properties.

http://www.thevillagelofts.com

Here are some photos i took last month:

18281417-L.jpg

18281411-L.jpg

18281424-L.jpg

this project is now almost completely framed.

also, the Uptown Cabaret is looking very nice and respectible now post renovation.