SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

Well.....the condo high-rise at the Lafayette Jewelers site on Morehead fell through. What I heard is the property owner had qualms about the developer, but who's to know. None the less, I'm sure something large will happen with that site in the future due to it's great access and views.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.....the condo high-rise at the Lafayette Jewelers site on Morehead fell through.  What I heard is the property owner had qualms about the developer, but who's to know.  None the less, I'm sure something large will happen with that site in the future due to it's great access and views.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atl,

Which one is that? It isn't 615 E. Morehead is it? I thought that was an old motel site.

No no.....615 is still breathing.....this one was never publically announced, but would have been a tower bound by Tryon, College, Morehead and 277.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that where the Uptown Caberet is at??? or are we talking where The coffe shop on the corner. Just curious. I had no idea they were even entertaining a tower there. (it would be a great spo though)

2800 South Blvd, the large truck/warehouse distribution center across from Home Economist Market has a TODM rezoning request for "higher density residential uses near New Bern Station on new transit line. A maximum of 320 units with structured parking deck" by HHHunt and Crescent. It looks like South Transit and associated redevelopment are continuing to return the ugly industrial areas on south to transit -oriented density.

I think that within 5 years, South Blvd lots will be redeveloped between south end and scaleybark. Lowes will help spur renovations in the remaining ugly part in south end; new bern and scaleybark/clantion stations will almost certain see TOD redevelopment quickly.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-091.htm

This would be the "Bonded Distribution" warehouse just north of Pepsi. Though HHHunt typically builds suburban product, this does sound a bit nicer with decked parking. Also, at over 60,000 people per square mile, we are talking serious density.......as a comparison, the city as a whole is only 1,800 people per square mile.

There are a lot of good rezonings this month. It seems like urbanization is gaining tremendous momentum.

Is that where the Uptown Caberet is at??? or are we talking where The coffe shop on the corner. Just curious. I had no idea they were even entertaining a tower there. (it would be a great spo though)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, just had to comment on the idea of "entertaining" a tower there. From what I've heard, LOTS of entertaining goes on around the Uptown Cabaret. Perhaps they could erect a tower there, instead of entertaining one. Actually, now that I think of it, they probably already do both.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm as geeky (if not more so) as the rest of you. Also guilty of taking the long way home to see what's happening out there.

Noticed this am that grading has begun for Boulevard Centro's new project at he corner of South and McDonald. Don't know if I could handle living there. Too much temptation with Mr K's across the street. I'd be fat in notime.

Neo, my bad. I guess when everything starts to look like David Furman architecture, I assume it's Blvd Centro. Points deducted for me on not being as observant as I should. I guess I just associate Merrifield with industrial stuff, not residential.

Wonder if there's a way to test who is the geekiest of us? Hmmm.

lol... make that 2 points, as it was me :).

it really is amazing how these projects are starting to create a style that is congruous with furman's foundation. I am happy that it is happening.

In the spirit of Atlrvr's tirade (in a good way) about forward looking architecture, the furmanesque style that is starting to be common use traditional meterials, but in a forward looking, fresh way. I think they will actually age well (AND they seem to be selling well, too).

I agree......I tend to like his style, and think that most of it will age fairly gracefully......a bit more use of modern materials and some offset angles wouldn't hurt, but this is a thousand times better than the fake-neo-classical styles that were so common 10 years ago......

AN you're right, this is creating an identity, which is a good thing, because we want our city to be recognizeable to people who have never even been here, just like I can pick out Boston on San Fran from a photo of some back alley.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a project that was announced for SouthEnd about 2 months ago....there is now a rendering up. I believe they start construction in a couple months on this one.

http://www.abbotttownhomes.com/index.php

It looks really good for the area. A good mix of brick and glass in a more modern design than most warehouse/loft styled throwbacks.

Again, it's almost got that Furman look, but it's not.....slowly we are developing an architectual identity.

• 4 months later...

Archived