SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

2800 South Blvd, the large truck/warehouse distribution center across from Home Economist Market has a TODM rezoning request for "higher density residential uses near New Bern Station on new transit line. A maximum of 320 units with structured parking deck" by HHHunt and Crescent. It looks like South Transit and associated redevelopment are continuing to return the ugly industrial areas on south to transit -oriented density.

I think that within 5 years, South Blvd lots will be redeveloped between south end and scaleybark. Lowes will help spur renovations in the remaining ugly part in south end; new bern and scaleybark/clantion stations will almost certain see TOD redevelopment quickly.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-091.htm

has anyone heard any more on the HHHunt apartment project? It was approved this past July.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if something significant is planned for the property at the corner of South and Remount (the site of the old Carolina Cleaners). I believe this is where SouthEnd officially starts (or ends, depending on one's perspective) and it would be cool to have something there that would reflect that.

I wonder if something significant is planned for the property at the corner of South and Remount (the site of the old Carolina Cleaners). I believe this is where SouthEnd officially starts (or ends, depending on one's perspective) and it would be cool to have something there that would reflect that.

Just speculating, but if it's an old dry cleaner site there could potentially be evironmental liabilities with the property.

totally off topic, but what is going to happen on South Blvd where the old trolly barn used to be ? I thought they were going to put a mini Phillips Place style development there. I think it was considered a brownfield.

A2

that is on topic :).

the trolley barn museum itself is on hold due to lack of funding from meck county and as part of budget savings by CATS.

That land was slated for a project by Pappas, but i think that is now on hold big time with them focusing on their midtown project and with the trolley barn not happening now and possibly ever.

I hope South Blvd. will look better in a few years. From what I have seen coming from uptown to South End, South Blvd. looks nice. It needs to be widen south of South End.

i dont' think it needs to be widened. it's getting LTR. if people who commute down s.blvd feel it should be widened after light rail goes in... then i say get on the train, man. everyones doin it.

it definitely needs to be widened... but in the sense that it gets wider lanes and possibly bike lanes. i think they are doing that, though... it is wider around 3030 South, and will definitely be wider in the worst section around scaleybark where i'm convinced you have to hold your breath to avoid an accident.

they may wait to do it as part of rezonings, though, rather than a single project.

Just add bus pullouts and more left turn escapes. More lanes would make walking across it too intimidating.

if they add any lanes (unlikely), it would just be a third, which would yield a similar cross section to south blvd in south end, which isn't that bad to cross.

This will sound really dumb I'm sure, but where exactly is Southend of Charlotte? How far from Uptown? What road I mean? I have never been through the city of Charlotte except on 77 and Independence and 485 to Ballantyne. Is it near any of those? It sounds like it is going to be Charlotte's Buckhead.

This will sound really dumb I'm sure, but where exactly is Southend of Charlotte? How far from Uptown? What road I mean? I have never been through the city of Charlotte except on 77 and Independence and 485 to Ballantyne. Is it near any of those? It sounds like it is going to be Charlotte's Buckhead.

http://www.historicsouthend.com/

click on South End Map on the left.

it is basically between south blvd and tryon street extending from uptown for a mile and a half.

although it was technically the southern end of charlotte during the first third of the 20th century... the name "south end" is from modern branding efforts. Before it was considered part of the dilworth neighborhood, albeit the industrial section versus the rest of the neighborhood, which is more residential in character. now, with the cotton mills closed down, the area is transformed to a commercial and higher-density residential hub, and the resulting blight has been turned into a very trendy and urban neighborhood.

the neighborhood board merged with uptown's board last year, so now Center City Partners controls marketing and signage and various other things in both uptown and south end.

Well that speaks volumes about how much the city has grown in the second half of the 20th century. If it was once the southern end of development, and now it is basically an extension of Uptown, that means the city has expanded several miles to the south. And I 485 is pretty far out from Uptown, and the Ballantyne area, plus the other growth evern further south is nowhere near Uptown. That is truly amazing growth.

It's owned by Crescent Resources and there is a long standing plan to develop it into a brick-Phillip's Place. Pappas Properties would be the developer and it would include retail and 400 apts.

Crescent just agreed to buy back the original trolley barn that is located on the property at Bland and South.

It's owned by Crescent Resources and there is a long standing plan to develop it into a brick-Phillip's Place. Pappas Properties would be the developer and it would include retail and 400 apts.

Crescent just agreed to buy back the original trolley barn that is located on the property at Bland and South.

I saw that in the paper the other day atlrvr. Do you think we will finally see some action on that lot?

Also with 400 units would that not require a verticle structure?

A2

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/12929557.htm

Archived