SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

Well that speaks volumes about how much the city has grown in the second half of the 20th century. If it was once the southern end of development, and now it is basically an extension of Uptown, that means the city has expanded several miles to the south. And I 485 is pretty far out from Uptown, and the Ballantyne area, plus the other growth evern further south is nowhere near Uptown. That is truly amazing growth.

Well actually the buildings you see at South End have been there for a long time. If I remember correctly they were originally a cotton mill 100 years ago. When I moved here in 1978, South Blvd was developed pretty much as you see it today down to the Lance plant, where it started to get a bit rural beyond that. Most of the growth that has occured since then has been around 485 and Hwy 51, which opened in the early 80s.

In 1978, all of the buildings in South End were all boarded up and you could pick up a house in Dilworth for about $9K.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1978, all of the buildings in South End were all boarded up and you could pick up a house in Dilworth for about $9K.

Wowww :o That's pretty hard to fathom. The revitalization that's taken place is a lot more impressive after hearing that.

I've also wondered for quite a while about that South/Bland lot. That could end up being a very popular stop along the line if they put a 12-story "Phillips Place" there. It might even help the Arlington sell most of their remaining units :unsure: ......after the units within the new development were sold out, of course :thumbsup:

I would assume that the sign indicates that they are finally planning to add the residential building that was submitted in the below rezoning petition. It would site along Camden. I like the project, though there aren't enough parking spots IMO....

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2003-001.htm

perhaps... but there are quite a few vacant lots that can be used, and many people like the older buildings and developers in the southend area have a history of using the old structures without tearing them down. (an example is the park avenue condo building that blended old store fronts into the facade)

I'd like more info on that Camden project, I work less than a block away.

you should browse through the fine print in the approved site plan at the link that atlrvr posted.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=228029

until the blvd co posts more info on their website, that will be the most information.

I haven't seen these mentioned on here yet:

200 West Tenth (Corner of 10th and Church in 4th Ward)

Laurel Ridge (Corner of Randolph Rd. and Laurel Ave. in Elizabeth)

Trade Street Towns (in Historic Matthews)

http://theblvdco.com/res_coming.shtml

And last but not least, South End Showplace:

http://theblvdco.com/properties_com_southend_showplace.shtml

I couldn't find the rendering for SouthEnd showplace online....great find.

This will front Church St. on the east side and extend south to the intersection with Summit. There are 4 buildings planned. I really like this project.

Yeah, I really like it too. Do you know when they plan to start on it (or has it started construction already)?

Yeah this is different....it's one block west of the site joshuacc mentioned.

They've been quitely marketing this for several months. They are suppoed to start construction early '06, but the latest sales sheet from them showed that no units have been sold, so I'm not sure if that will affect the timeline or not.....they're relatively pricey for commercial condos in that part of town.

LRT is a direct impetus for 3030 South.

The trolley and the historic architecture were the reasons for most of the rest of south end's development (3030 South is associated with south end, but is just outside its technical boundary).

LRT will definitely speed it along, though.

South of Clanton road is probably better referred to as "Scaleybark" (we already have the Scaleybark Library as a naming cornerstone) which could arguably extend down to Woodlawn.

The area from Woodlawn south, doesn't have a good moniker IMO. I'm not too partial to McCrory's "Corridor of Crap". :) Hopefully we'll come up with something better, when the rail line is in place.

South of Clanton road is probably better referred to as "Scaleybark" (we already have the Scaleybark Library as a naming cornerstone) which could arguably extend down to Woodlawn.

The area from Woodlawn south, doesn't have a good moniker IMO. I'm not too partial to McCrory's "Corridor of Crap". :) Hopefully we'll come up with something better, when the rail line is in place.

As my good friend Dennis Miller used to say, "I don't want to go off on a rant here..." Pat is so typical Charlotte proper. It would be so perfect if the crap corridor name stuck just to keep him up at night. I like this area for what it is. There's plenty of "no crap corridors." If Pat was the mayor of Boston, he'd gentrify Chinatown.

south boulevard, for most of its route, IS a corridor of crap... mostly because of its sprawly low-qual strip malls, car dealers, and low-qual restaurants, but also because of the road itself. It has terrible looking utilities, the road has too-narrow lanes, too many driveway connections, many sections lack sidewalks, and the whole area lacks trees. The fact that the state controlled most of the route caused many of the problems, as the city has different standards for much of its infrastructure now. I think with the SCIP (South Corridor Improvement Program), much of public contribution to the crap will be rectified. Eventually, with rezoning, and redevelopment, the private sector's contribution will also be improved.

Anyway, South End is a showcase of what the rest of the transit corridor could become.

south boulevard, for most of its route, IS a corridor of crap... mostly because of its sprawly low-qual strip malls, car dealers, and low-qual restaurants, but also because of the road itself. It has terrible looking utilities, the road has too-narrow lanes, too many driveway connections, many sections lack sidewalks, and the whole area lacks trees. The fact that the state controlled most of the route caused many of the problems, as the city has different standards for much of its infrastructure now. I think with the SCIP (South Corridor Improvement Program), much of public contribution to the crap will be rectified. Eventually, with rezoning, and redevelopment, the private sector's contribution will also be improved.

Anyway, South End is a showcase of what the rest of the transit corridor could become.

Amen

• 2 weeks later...

Huge news for the South End area, and for higher density possibilities along the light rail corridor.

Rea Contracting's asphalt plant in South End will be rezoned from I2 to TOD-M. "To provide for development consistent with the Urban corridor, light rail development goals"

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-012.htm

Archived