SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One at each Uptown end of Tryon and one on E. Trade St. My fear is that if they were to rebuild these that they would do it with fake stucco. I can't really tell by the picture whether these are stucco or a light colored brick. I think the little roof is terra-cotta tile. Once again, it's hard to tell. I do know that at the time of these the light bulb was rarely used outdoors here. If you look in the daytime picture you can see the electric street light suspended in the air. I guess this link to electricity is what inspired Duke to hold onto the picture.

I can't really tell by the picture whether these are stucco or a light colored brick.

They could have been made of marble. It was a common material at the time for outdoor monuments. White marble was readily available from Marble, NC. Interestingly enough, marble is relatively inexpensive now having been replaced by granite as the premium building material.

Great Find!

• 1 month later...

That is a pretty good article in the printed paper as there are about a dozen renderings of projects in the area. One thing noted is that he mentioned there were already 1500 condos proposed to be constructed along the transit line. This falls in line with my earlier prediction that the condo boom will move from the downtown area out to the condo lines.

Looks like the development in South End will be more that the cost of the LRT. As we go south, the amount spent on development could double what it cost to build the LRT. None of this would happen with out the LRT.

The city and CATS are helping these project along without a lot of red tape. I beleive you will see some high rises along this project.

If this happen on the north line, I think the money spent for tranist will be a good deal for all.

With the pice of gas going up, the LRT is not coming too soon.

I don't really like the name of the project, bu other than that, it seems like a very good project.

I'm glad they are still planning to build a trolley barn nearby, only within the smaller budget. It'll be interesting to see how much they use the facade designs of the original trolley barn in the apartment building.

It could be cool, but it also could be bad, depending on how contrived it is.

The fact that it is so large and that it will start construction in a few months is just awesome. Much of it could come online right when the LRT is running.

I was a little surprised to see that 3030 South has only sold 2/3 of its units. It is great that it is almost done construction, but we the real benefits from these projects come when people are living in them, spending money nearby.

does anybody remember 3030 south's initial ad launch in the creative loafing and other publications? i don't recall verbatim what it said, but i remember feeling like i had just been talked down to. so much, that i was tempted to call the tele # and ask where they were coming from. if i had been in the market for what they offered at the time, the condescending ads would have pushed me away. aside from that, i like the overall look of this project... i really like how the units facing s. blvd have a "stoop" that almost touches the street, and if it were any street other than s. blvd, it would be nice to have. my only real complaint about this project at it's completion is the all the asphalt around the buildings... it's all parking lot. i know people need a place to park, but i just feel there could be a little more effort to putting in some more plant life... but that would require up-keep, which requires money... that they already spent on insulting ads. :)

The condesending ads were courtesy of Corder Philips Wilson....but to be honest I don't remember them. I do remember the hokey, sketches they used to show. Also, the wording seemed a little funny to me about how many they had sold....I think that number could be the number that have closed, but I thought that almost all the ones currently under construction were reserved.

Two important of aspects of C was the shielding of the substation with the parking deck, and the pedestrian connection from South Blvd to the station that will be lined with shops and hopefully inviting.

The condesending ads were courtesy of Corder Philips Wilson....but to be honest I don't remember them. I do remember the hokey, sketches they used to show. Also, the wording seemed a little funny to me about how many they had sold....I think that number could be the number that have closed, but I thought that almost all the ones currently under construction were reserved.

Two important of aspects of C was the shielding of the substation with the parking deck, and the pedestrian connection from South Blvd to the station that will be lined with shops and hopefully inviting.

your right, i found this archived on their site.

crapad1.jpg

ok, its not as bad as i remember... but they certainly could have done a better job. i think when i was younger i must have been very sensitive to the written word... i would never have survived in urbanplanet back then. now that i'm maturing.... i should probably look into getting a place @ 615 east morehead.

Ha. I used to think that the ads were funny, at least the one on the actual site that said something like "Can you believe we're putting swanky condos here!?!"

On "C", I agree that shielding that substation will be a major boost to attractiveness of that area. Also, right now it looks like a nasty industrial brownfield with decayed buildings, dead grass, and barbed wire fences. Having a project like this will go a long way. Hopefully it will add to and not take away from the commercial viability of Camden Rd retail.

The coming of the 'C' project is great news for Bland and South Boulevard, I can hardly believe something is really happening there!!!

I am just wondering what type of retail will front the pedestrian walkways, and how long it will actually take to build. Also, since the project is going to house both apartments and condos, I wonder what the price point will be for the condo portion.

I have already signed up for the floor plans, so hopefully the 'price will be right'. I agree that the parking lot across the road from Tavern on the Tracks needs to be developed, but with what?

Thanks, -k

The coming of the 'C' project is great news for Bland and South Boulevard, I can hardly believe something is really happening there!!!

Thanks, -k

I hear you. I'm as excited about this as I am about any of the residential towers downtown. South End rocks, and hopefully the trend of mid-rise mixed-use there will continue. It's a place I am likely to actually USE, especially being right next to a transit stop. I love that the parking decks look like they will be pretty much completely hidden from view when you're not driving into them. The plazas look pretty dang sweet, too!!

Archived