A Spire in New Orleans?

NCB

What type of building style do you think looks better in New Orleans  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What type of building style do you think looks better in New Orleans

• A Spire
    • Just a normal boxy style

This picture was posted on a New Orleans business site by JWR_NOLA..

morethanabox4qu8kr.jpg

Now I know that its not even a fact that a new high-rise will be built in N.O. anytime soon.

And that we dont know if it would look anything like the building above if it were to be built.

But I just wanted to see what people thought about this.

I know many people that would love a new more modern-style building in New Orleans, and plenty of people who just want to stick with the old box style.

So what do you guys think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely not...no spires for New Orleans. NEVER. Spires are trendy, and are hard to make attractive in today's architecture, and would be an insult to New Orleans' unique character, architecture, and skyline. No, I do not want to see a spire in New Orleans. New Orleans is different and an entity of it's own. And many people realize this, (locals and visitors). We only need buildings that gain character with time, and today's spires do not gain character. They are an arrogant statement, IMO. Today's spires do not display beautiful, detailed architecture. They are bland, gaudy steel "pieces" highlighted by colored lights on top of buildings. And they are prevalent in a great deal of America's new large cities. And they, also, reflect the shallow personalities of these cities, as well, IMO. No spires in New Orleans. And they aren't in Houston or Dallas, either, if you've noticed. We have a distaste for spires in New Orleans....

And, one more thing...New Orleans skyline is solid...a reflection of the City and its' age. Our buildings are expensive, decorated (inside), and certainly gain character with time. Seeing a spire in that picture, with all of our expensive, sturdy, solid skyscrapers just does not compliment New Orleans, at all...

Thats the same tower that Nashville is building is this some type of joke.  ITS called the signature tower

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. I don't believe it is a joke. I think it's honestly someone looking for opinions of a spire tower being built in New Orleans. Sorry...it's just not going to happen.

LOL It's the Signature Tower with the top knocked off, and the crown brightened, actually. I know, because unfortunately, I made that graphic. I just wanted to see what it would look like. I dread spires and "wedding cakes" And when I read in an article about the Poydras tower getting narrower the taller it got, well, it turned my stomach. I never intended it to leave hornetsreport.com, but oh well.

JWR, don't be so hard on yourself. I like it. I don't really agree with Alon504. I don't like plain boxes. The Energy Centre is my favorite building in New Orleans at the moment. It's not a box, and I like that. Do we need a spire? Perhaps not. But, something with a little more character than One Shell Square would be a welcome addition in my book.

Every major city should have a "signature" tower with a spire.  The old flat rooftop look is much too boring.  If N.O. were to build such a tower, I think the City would rise in prominence among the cities of the U.S. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're not "every major city," in New Orleans. Not to sound arrogant, but there is the rest and there is New Orleans. We are a very unique city. Who knows...maybe we will get a spire. But, I'm just one that hopes we don't get one. And I don't see a spire passing muster with many leaders in this City, either.

I am all for a spire, if it is done right.

I would MUCH rather have a boxy style building in New Orleans than an ugly spire.

I think a well designed and well constructed spire would look great in New Orleans.

But as Alon504 has been saying, New Orleans is a very unique city, you cant just throw in a building with a spire and expect it to look good.

The Signature Tower in the picture above, for example, doesnt fit well in the skyline at all, IMO.

But I think a spire/building that would mix in well with the N.O. skyline would be great.

Designs that I think WOULD work: (I dont mean dont mean exact replicas of these buildings, just a similiar design)

atlanta048sa.jpg

^^ I like the BOA Plaza in Atlanta because it doesnt stand out to much, but it is still the signature building, and focal point of the skyline.

liberty217locust8yw.jpg

^^ I love the design of Two Libery Place in Philadelphia, IMO its just a great looking building, I think something like this with a darker color would look great in NO

Designs I think would NOT work:

1850bofacharlotte5yf.jpg

NO NO NO!

Dont get me wrong, I love this building...in Charlotte

I could never see a Wedding Cake style building fitting into the N.O. skyline..NEVER

We're not "every major city," in New Orleans.  Not to sound arrogant, but there is the rest and there is New Orleans.  We are a very unique city.  Who knows...maybe we will get a spire.  But, I'm just one that hopes we don't get one.  And I don't see a spire passing muster with many leaders in this City, either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alon504, I really don't think that our box-style towers downtown lend much to our uniqueness. To me, it's our lifestyle, our people, beutiful neighborhoods with 200 yr old oak lined streets, the French Quarter, our food, our geography, our diversity, and our rich history. I do see where you're coming from and in a way, I do agree. But, if our new tallest building ends up having a more complex design, I don't think this would detract from our city.

I am all for a spire, if it is done right.

I would MUCH rather have a boxy style building in New Orleans than an ugly spire.

I think a well designed and well constructed spire would look great in New Orleans.

But as Alon504 has been saying, New Orleans is a very unique city, you cant just throw in a building with a spire and expect it to look good.

The Signature Tower in the picture above, for example, doesnt fit well in the skyline at all, IMO.

But I think a spire/building that would mix in well with the N.O. skyline would be great.

Designs that I think WOULD work: (I dont mean dont mean exact replicas of these buildings, just a similiar design)

atlanta048sa.jpg

^^ I like the BOA Plaza in Atlanta because it doesnt stand out to much, but it is still the signature building, and focal point of the skyline.

liberty217locust8yw.jpg

^^ I love the design of Two Libery Place in Philadelphia, IMO its just a great looking building, I think something like this with a darker color would look great in NO

Designs I think would NOT work:

1850bofacharlotte5yf.jpg

NO NO NO!   

Dont get me wrong, I love this building...in Charlotte

I could never see a Wedding Cake style building fitting into the N.O. skyline..NEVER

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. If we were to have a spire, it would definitely not need be like some of this cheap stuff going up in so many cities. It needs to display depth, character, and rich color...it needs to be ornate.

Be real, guys. If a developer said they were going to build a building similar to signature in New Orleans, you know as well as anyone you wouldn't say "NO NO Take it away. IF it's a spire, we don't want a building at all!!!"

You'd take it in a minute as would anyone in Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, or anywhere else. :rolleyes:

Be real, guys.  If a developer said they were going to build a building similar to signature in New Orleans, you know as well as anyone you wouldn't say "NO NO Take it away.  IF it's a spire, we don't want a building at all!!!" 

You'd take it in a minute as would anyone in Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, or anywhere else.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm being as real as real can be...believe it or not...I DON'T WANT IT...FLAT OUT. Besides, the 750 foot tower and the 950 foot tower that will grace New Orleans' skyline in the next 5 years aren't going to have spires from what I'm hearing....

I'm being as real as real can be...believe it or not...I DON'T WANT IT...FLAT OUT.  Besides, the 750 foot tower and the 950 foot tower that will grace New Orleans' skyline in the next 5 years aren't going to have spires from what I'm hearing....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very True

I as well would MUCH rather have no building at all then a poorly designed and ugly building.

The design of "Signature Tower" in the picture above looks horrible in the New Orleans skyline IMO. I would rather have no new building instead of a building that doesnt fit in well, and in all reality makes the skyline look worse..

^ Yes, I think they're trying to say they'd be happier with an ugly box of that sort ... as long as it has hanging ferns and French railing. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are far from alone...I would support a spire if it was filled with ornate design, unique, and would visibly accrue character with time. I will never support anything trendy, cheap, and simple for the top of our skyscrapers. Enough of these exist in other Southeastern cities, we don't need it in New Orleans. Almost every city has a spire, but, New Orleans doesn't and we don't like them here. What's the criticism? I don't see people knocking Dallas, Houston, Denver, Seattle, or San Diego because of this....

Come on guys... are yall telling me that you would be happier with a 70-story One Shell Square?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im saying, that I would be hapier with a 70 story Place Saint Charles or a 70 story LL&E Tower, then something that doesnt fit into the New Orleans skyline. PSC and LL&E Tower are both boxy, but they have nice designs, IMO. Sure theyre simple, but they still look nice.

As I said earlier, I am all for a Spire, If it is done right.

And as Alon and I are both saying, if there is a spire in New Orleans, it should be well designed, unique, and have depth to it.

This is New Orleans, one of the most unique cities in the world, sure most major cities in the U.S. have spires, but were not like other major cities. In many cities, you could just throw in a building with a cheap and poorly designed spire, and some people probably wouldnt even care. But that wouldnt work here, no one in New Orleans wants to see an ugly building go up in the city.

I would love a NICE spire that would really look great in N.O. But I would much rather stick with the box style building then have a cheap spire go up in New Orleans.

We are far from alone...I would support a spire if it was filled with ornate design, unique, and would visibly accrue character with time.  I will never support anything trendy, cheap, and simple for the top of our skyscrapers.  Enough of these exist in other Southeastern cities, we don't need it in New Orleans.  Almost every city has a spire, but, New Orleans doesn't and we don't like them here.  What's the criticism?  I don't see people knocking Dallas, Houston, Denver, Seattle, or San Diego because of this....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not that a city needs a spire to fulfill itself. It just seems funny to oppose a spire because it's a spire.

In any case, the point is moot, as the Plaza Tower makeover has a spire (with perhaps more to come ?).

It's not that a city needs a spire to fulfill itself. It just seems funny to oppose a spire because it's a spire.

In any case, the point is moot, as the Plaza Tower makeover has a spire (with perhaps more to come ?).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, with the developer of the plaza tower makeover getting sued and the project getting delayed, I dont know if the project will even happen. I think that if it does happen, it may not look as nice as originally planned.

And to the other part you said, its not that were opposing a spire, were just opposing a cheap or ugly spire. We just want the best for New Orleans, and I dont think just sticking a cheap spire in the skyline will do much.

But a nicely designed and unique spire would be great in New Orleans.

Archived