Summit East

Florida

Future.jpg

Just for starters Summit East is a smart park that started to take shape sometime around the year 2000. The Goal here is to create a Smart Campus of High Tech Businesses. I was originally opposed to the development because I feared it would draw businesses away from the city's central core at a time when I thought the downtown was in need of a shot in the arm, but this project has done just the opposite. Actually the downtown is now doing better than ever, and this project, located at the junction of U.S. 90 and I-10 is prime for luring a top company to Florida's Capital City. Its my hope that this could be the future home of a semiconductor site, but only time will tell.

As for now, Rick Kearney, the developer and owner of Mainline Information Systems, is a great spokesman for the Tallahassee business community and is truly an asset to this community.

Here's a look at what he's creating for East Tallahassee.

First Here's whats been proposed:

mainline_artist.jpg

Mainline HQ

lakeside_artist.jpg

Lakeside Building

110800a2.jpg

Hillside Building

4storybuilding.jpg

Future Hotel

jogtrail.jpg

Greenspace and Trails

Here's what has come to life thus far...

DSCF0416.jpg

Mainline HQ

DSCF0415.jpg

Lakeside Building- IBM Office, Congressman Allen Boyd, others

DSCF0414.jpg

Hillside Building

There is currently a hotel under construction... I wonder how its gonna look!?!

DSCF0412.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good what summit east is doing. I absoulutely love the place. I am a little dissapointed this year because our cross country meet isn't on the schedule to run here. For the past 2 years we always had a meet here, and boy is there course tough. Summit East is really really hilly. I guess with that construction they won't have time to host the meet.

^LOL! You're right! I meant to use the word incubator for these reasons:

A large, underemployed population in the prime of working age (18 - 44)

An exceptionally skilled, well-educated workforce

The Capital of Florida

Direct access to an interstate highway

Enormous educational opportunities

A world-renowned location for high technology and research, as exemplified by the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory

An incubator (technology center) providing a full range of services for new business start-ups

An extensive network of health care providers and regional medical hospitals

An expanded $50 million regional airport designed to accommodate growth

Low crime

Affordable real estate

Shorter than average commutes to work.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just wanted to update everyone as to the progress out here at Summit East. Two other parcels have been sold. There is currently construction of a new office building on another parcel and the Staybridge Hotel and Suites is still under constuction. The builders of the hotel are taking thier time and it looks like it will be a quality hotel. The rendering above is not accurate. The building is "L" shaped and looks bigger than the rendering above. This will be a nice addition for Tallahassee.

I hope to purchase a digital camera so I can post some pics one day. :D

They are supposedly building that new Staybridge Suites Hotel to withstand some enormous storms, winds etc. Maybe that's why it is taking so long since it's not just being thrown together with pre-fab panels. Mad Dog Construction & Design is the General Contractor & I remember reading somewhere, it might have even been on their website, about how this building was being constructed so that it would still be standing after a hurricane, or something like that.

They are supposedly building that new Staybridge Suites Hotel to withstand some enormous storms, winds etc. Maybe that's why it is taking so long since it's not just being thrown together with pre-fab panels. Mad Dog Construction & Design is the General Contractor & I remember reading somewhere, it might have even been on their website, about how this building was being constructed so that it would still be standing after a hurricane, or something like that.

I remember reading this also. It stuck in my mind b/c several people in the coastal area where my parents live evacuate to the Tally area. When I read this about the Staybridge, I remember saying that would be a hotel I'd definitely recommend to those evacuating the coast. If I recall I think he wanted it built this way b/c in previous storms people would evacuate from the far western panhandle to places like Crestview and then end up in a motel there that the roof blew off or sustained significant damage and Rick did not want this happening at his hotel.

That's all great news about Summit. Help me out here, if I remember correctly when this project first came in, all that is being built out there is only in his first phase? If I recall correctly once 90 is widened to I-10 (which is on a faster track now) he can begin on building a second phase if he wants? Is that correct or did I just dream that?

Also what's going up out there on the other side of I-10 at Walden Road? Looks like they are clearing land out there right now.

I know of that huge housing complex going in on Walden Road, in addition to the Cracker Barrel that's been proposed.

Summit East had a restaurant site for sale and it says that it's been sold. Any word on what might occupy this space?

About the rendering above, initially many of the Summit East buildings were "predesigned" so I used the predesigned image from that collection to represent the hotel. I didn't have an actual rendering of this project, so that image is soley for representational purposes.

• 1 month later...

I was out at Summit East yesterday and took some pics. This is my first time posting pics so I hope it works:

205684031_1c3f5950cc_m.jpg

New office construction on the left and the new Staybridge Hotel and Suites are straight ahead.

205684032_63039522bf_m.jpg

Full shot of Hotel Construction

205684039_04d89428d4_m.jpg

Closer view of Hotel construction

205684035_9eb775f0cf_m.jpg

Mainline's Headquarters Building

205684033_aacf194709_m.jpg

Completed office complex URS Building

205684037_3feed4a77e_m.jpg

Another view of the URS building

Two other lots have sold and another lot is under contract. A lot of activity going on at Summit East! :thumbsup:

205684032_63039522bf_m.jpg

Full shot of Hotel Construction

Looks like they've put decking down... but if were there a week or so ago, you would have seen something sad... The Staybridge Suites was being built VERY solid... fully reinforced masonry, precast concrete floors, steel columns.... SOLID! Then.... they top if off with a wood truss roof. Pfphbbt!!! Must've been a budget cut. So, come a hurricane or fire, don't stay in a room on the top floor... the roof will either blow off or the fire will spread throughout the top floor.

Sad.

• 4 months later...

Things are moving quickly for 2007 at Summit East

In the post/pre application phase:

Summit East Office Complex (TPA060075 (12-17-20-408-0000), 12-17-25-C-0030 and 00400)

Proposed project for construction of 87,500 square foot office building located on 8.05 acres on the

southwest corner of Summit Lake Drive and Futura drive. The zoning is IC (Interchange Commerical)

Proposed Retail Summit East (TPA060130 (12-17-25- B-0010)

Proposed project for the construction of a 6,240 square foot commerical development. The property is zoned IC (Interchange Commercial) sign at this location says it is to be a restaurant..... :thumbsup:

I think the roadwork is coming honestly. We really need the county to make infrastructure a priority (especially with SB360), or we won't see much come of Welaunee or any other development planned for this area.

I'm very proud of summit east. I don't mean to sound like a enemy to nature when I say this, but I wish it were a bit more visible from I-10, perhaps we could clear some trees out there.

Archived