Jonas Federal Courthouse Expansion ( 10 floors / 165 feet) + Historic Renovation

uptownliving

On 2/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, JBS said:

I wish I could only be positive about building design (after all, it's someone's job and they are presumably trying their best).  And, I'd welcome some classic architecture on new buildings.  This is just atrocious in my opinion.  Hopefully, it looks better in person.  Just look at the scale and street level.  Surprised anyone likes this.

The rendering is fairly low quality too, I've seen some of the members on here make better mock-ups. 

On 2/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, JSquare said:

.... it is a federal court house what street presence did you think it would have?

On 2/1/2018 at 2:04 PM, JBS said:

Fair point.  But I Googled "Federal Courthouse" and there are many that don't have only block walls for the bottom 6 feet.  Security is an issue I'm sure.  Still think this would be a perfect building to have the addition be modern.  Trying to mimic the original style on that lot is apparently difficult. 

I agree with both of these sentiments, I'm not an engineer or architect, so correct me if necessary, but I think the "wall" is mostly there due to topography, as the land is graded currently it would be next to impossible to have windows and doors line up with the street. Sadly for security and practical reasons I think we need to accept the lack of anything on the scale of retail or a lobby here. They're already taking a bit of a risk having the tower so close to the road, and I would presume any high profile cases will still be tried inside the original structure. Perhaps so ornamentation along the wall will make it less imposing, but anything on the scale of a mural or modern art would be (rightfully so) considered out of place. 

^Asheville has such a great vibe about it and whats more impressive is that it seems to be alive with activity on most all of the blocks in the downtown core.

It's like one big NoDa, PlzMid and Dilworth all rolled into one.  Simply amazing!

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.37062a807d96c0813e578040b7b8b8cb.png

I just dunno, the building feels so heavy, I added one more set back floor, and I think this building looks a little bit less heavy, I dunno. It just doesn't look complete to me.

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Anyone know what this is about?

bc91ce4cfbfc5bbc5bd3568d35bbb29a.jpg

image.png.0c6dc92350dc778c12baf87c0e30a1b4.png

I know part of the plans is to modernize the plaza in the front. I do not, however, know exactly what the plan is for that section. 

• 2 weeks later...

Someone must know what is happening here. This can’t be part of a refurbishment activities.

Honestly it’s like they building holding pens?? [emoji848][emoji45]

Pictures not uploading, but what you have is now blacktop’ed over what was the grass/beds in front of the building and chain link fencing going around it to enclose with the black mental fence that surrounds the building.

3 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Interesting and I guess makes sense. Nothing like paving over your front yard for 2/3 years.

I guess this means the project is rolling. I don’t see anything in Acela for it. Is this exempt form having to go through the normal process as it’s the feds?

In a nutshell, the federal government can do whatever they want within the confines of that property. They are legally bound only by federal rules and any voluntary compliance with building code, zoning, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2018 at 11:24 AM, tozmervo said:

In a nutshell, the federal government can do whatever they want within the confines of that property. They are legally bound only by federal rules and any voluntary compliance with building code, zoning, etc. 

This is true, however, they are going out of their way to comply with local ordinances and development regulations to the extent that they are able to.  The parking lot just a temporary arrangement while they build the tower so they can have a secure space to transfer criminals inside and what not. Most people who work there don't park in the on-site parking lot anyway; it's too small. They park along Mint St and in parking lots nearby.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

The historic obelisk is being relocated out of the way. It will return to it's original home on the Trade Street side closer to the end of the project. 

damn liberals, taking down all our monuments.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 7:49 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

damn liberals, taking down all our monuments.

Funny you say that.... As it commemorates a local who fought in The Spanish American War,  I wondered out loud to a coworker recently that it too might be up for correction if it offends Latinos in some way.  Am I being offensive with this question? 

18 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Whats going to happen to the back of the original building with the tower addition?  Do they close up those windows or perhaps they are kept and look into the new addition?

I'd think you would be able to walk right from one to the other so the windows and sections of the walls will be removed (see the YMCA addition).