Jonas Federal Courthouse Expansion ( 10 floors / 165 feet) + Historic Renovation

uptownliving

On 2/4/2005 at 3:44 PM, uptownliving said:

Queens University has purchased the option to buy the current Federal Courthouse once they move out in the next 5 years....their current plans are to put their Law School there.

So, about that Queens U law school....

Is it dead?

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2019 at 7:39 PM, SydneyCarton said:

For a lawyer,  federal court practice is great.  It will be even nicer for QC lawyers to practice in this beautiful building.

This is so wrong it cannot go ignored...  No, if I am a plaintiff's attorney, I do everything to avoid federal court.  This is Fed Pro 101.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ertley said:

The forecourt on Trade is slightly trapezoidal too--the courthouse isn't exactly parallel to Trade--all due to the fact the original structure of the courthouse, the old post office, faced Mint. The Trade facade is a later expansion, but the entire structure is still oriented to Mint, which doesn't intersect Trade at a precise 90 degree angle.  

The word forecourt, more prominently seen in British English, is perfectly used here.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, KJHburg said:

Steel rising at the new Federal Courthouse.  Today and boy is W Trade a cluster in front of this.  

and your bonus shot of the WeWork sign at First Citizens.  

IMG_5055.JPG

The more I look at that we work sign the more I think it exceeds the 240 sq ft of allowed signage. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CLT> said:

The more I look at that we work sign the more I think it exceeds the 240 sq ft of allowed signage. 

50 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

They got a rezoning for it

I think WeWork probably isn’t alone in exceeding the 240 sq ft limit (if it even is a limit) but their sign does appear much larger than the rest due to its placement in the sweet spot ~300 feet above ground (not too high, not too low). Smart move for them even though I’d rather it be less visible.

As has been pointed out, the signs are here to stay and have been here for many years.  Old skyline photos from 60’s and 70’s display signs for JeffersonFirstUnion, NCNB, ACC/American Credit, Wachovia. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I think WeWork probably isn’t alone in exceeding the 240 sq ft limit (if it even is a limit) but their sign does appear much larger than the rest due to its placement in the sweet spot ~300 feet above ground (not too high, not too low). Smart move for them even though I’d rather it be less visible.

As has been pointed out, the signs are here to stay and have been here for many years.  Old skyline photos from 60’s and 70’s display signs for JeffersonFirstUnion, NCNB, ACC/American Credit, Wachovia. 

They did do a bait and switch and more than doubled the size presented at the community meeting, but that's par for the course I guess...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

That was one of the unique things about the Charlotte Skyline for many years in the 90s, is that there were almost no signs at the top of skyscrapers, and if they were they were tiny. I don't mind discreet Signage (see Barings, or BofA) but the We Work sign is out of scale.

• Thanks 1

I remember coming into Charlotte in the early 90's and seeing the Marriott red sign on the Center City location, I always liked that.  Reminded me of growing up in Cleveland and seeing the sign for the Pick-Carter Hotel, Sheraton Hotel, Statler Hotel!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:32 AM, kermit said:

So, about that Queens U law school....

Is it dead?

On 5/21/2019 at 6:36 AM, KJHburg said:

Good question and they could move into some classroom space right now in Charlotte Plaza.  We need a law school in this city. 

I just asked a person in the know over at Queens and his response was "very dead."  From what it sounds like, the law school was being floated around before the feds decided to go with the renovation and expansion of the current building with the intention of selling/leasing the building to Queens, and the federal courthouse moving to a new location/building.  Even then, it sounds like the Queens law school was more of a pipe dream and never really had strong movement behind it.  Remember, this was all around the time UNCC was building their uptown campus and Wake Forest was opening their MBA program in the new Wells Fargo (aka Duke) building.  It seems to have been more of a knee-jerk reaction to try and have a competing presence Uptown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1