Jonas Federal Courthouse Expansion ( 10 floors / 165 feet) + Historic Renovation

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, nakers2 said:

It's weird to see a modern building with old fashioned building materials. Are these the same as the original, or just really good fakes? 

Not sure what the original materials are, but this appears to be pre-cast concrete so I doubt it is the same.  I was a bit disappointed watching them lift big pre-cast panels off of a truck because for some reason I thought this was some sort of nice masonry.

Regardless of the less-than-perfect building materials ('cause they could've at least finished those interior facades of the two floors facing the atrium in something more luxe, organic), I do think this atrium is a wonderful design element and I'm super impressed by it. I think it bodes well for the renovation of the original building, and the appearance of the interiors of the new one.

"Forget it. He's rollin'"

The 1979 movie "Breqking Away" takes place in Bedford and Bloomington Indiana, neighboring cities, with Bloomington the home of Indiana University. It is the story of the college boys versus the townies and the townies in this story are the sons of the quarrymen, laborers, small town working class, known in the movie as "cutters" for the stone cutting specialty of the area. In reality the locals of the time were known at stoners but that did not work well in the movie so they changed the term.

• 3 weeks later...