Jonas Federal Courthouse Expansion ( 10 floors / 165 feet) + Historic Renovation

uptownliving

Actually it may not start till after 2013. From the CBJ:

A new federal courthouse is scheduled to be built in fiscal 2013, pending funding that must be approved by Congress.

But because of the struggling economy, construction work on federal courthouses is expected to be postponed, possibly for years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

CBJ is reporting on a visit from a GSA official who commented on the Federal Courthouse construction. It sounds like they are bidding out archetecture and design contracts but says “It’s anybody's guess when construction will be made available,” [it appears that the CBJ left of a word or two from their quote]

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2012/02/gsa-timeline-for-new-us-federal.html?ed=2012-02-17&s=article_du&ana=e_du_pub

I think this is one of those things that is good that it is still on the books, but I would not expect it any time soon. I also like that they are funding the design and architecture as that makes it more of a shovel-ready project that makes it a higher priority when more courtroom space is needed. But look at it at the inverse, it is good that there is not enough federal crime in this region to warrant a larger federal courthouse immediate.

• 2 years later...

I wonder if the moratorium on Federal Courthouses in the US will be lifted, or if it has been yet. I'd be interested to know if Charlotte's new courthouse is in the pipeline. Originally design was supposed to be finished in early 2014.

Along that topic, I found this interesting architects interpretation on a Charlotte Courthouse, since he has work that has actually been built, I wonder what his connection to the project is, if any. Probably none, it kind of looks like a student project. 

http://www.dustinfike.com/?biopic_work=federal-courthouse-charlotte-nc

o2_court_per_lg.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any information on the new courthouse?  I'm simply amazed that Jackson, MS and Billings, MT can get a brand new buildings, but Charlotte can't.  BTW, Nashville's new courthouse was included in the Obama Administration's budget today. They've been waiting as long as we have for a new building, Maybe that's a good sign? 

• 2 months later...

Neat. I remember seeing the rendering for this. By the time it gets built, there will a much better urban environment. Not that that matters in a courthouse

I don't think design was on the federal budget until this year, so I don't think there are any renderings yet. 

It wasn't included in the Obama administrations budget.  It's probably a 2017 at the earliest funding.  Only Nashville was recommended to proceed this year.  There is another project still ahead of Charlotte after Nashville (Toledo I think).