Jonas Federal Courthouse Expansion ( 10 floors / 165 feet) + Historic Renovation

uptownliving

On 9/28/2017 at 12:10 AM, TheMightyBK said:

A couple of threads over someone proposed we rank uptown's most attractive and most hideous buildings.  This, as rendered, instantly climbs to the top five ugliest.  It looks like something my son would have constructed out of grey Legos when he was 3.

Why not try a modern complement instead?  Something like this would be complementary to both the existing courthouse and surrounding modern highrises.   Duplicate the courthouse's front façade in the rear, and let us see it from the ballpark.

So you want it to look like every other glass box in Charlotte? Meh. Here in the land of no historic preservation, traditional architecture IS different and cutting edge.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

To be historically accurate, the addition to the courthouse should be designed in the architectural style of the original US post office and courthouse on West Trade that was demolished in 1917 in order to construct the first phase of the existing courthouse.    How unfortunate it was for the city to lose this beautiful structure! 

Image result for charlotte post office west trade

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, JSquare said:

Though I would post another rendering from a different angle. I think this thing looks pretty good. I love this older style architecture. I think we could use more of it around the city. 

5a7357ae2be56_FederalCourtHouse.thumb.jpg.085d88fc65a78fb0c4a9b259bd22ab20.jpg

I wish I could only be positive about building design (after all, it's someone's job and they are presumably trying their best).  And, I'd welcome some classic architecture on new buildings.  This is just atrocious in my opinion.  Hopefully, it looks better in person.  Just look at the scale and street level.  Surprised anyone likes this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JSquare said:

.... it is a federal court house what street presence did you think it would have?

Fair point.  But I Googled "Federal Courthouse" and there are many that don't have only block walls for the bottom 6 feet.  Security is an issue I'm sure.  Still think this would be a perfect building to have the addition be modern.  Trying to mimic the original style on that lot is apparently difficult. 

• Like 1

I disagree I like the look of a more Gothic style architecture for a courthouse (I know it's not really Gothic style but you know what I mean). I would rather see the new library be the ultra modern addition to the city. 

They are not tearing down the existing court house so adding a modern addition to the back of it would look so forced. 

Edited by JSquare
  • Like 1

@SouthEndCLT811 Beautiful examples of old mixed with new but I wonder if government building that are not really for public use are weary of spending so much money on looks. The lot this is on is obviously not large enough to do that type of stuff which you did acknowledge but I do get your point about putting something in for the public. 

I do still like this project though I think it will be an improvement over the current building. Still very early on in the life of the project as well. I am truly not hinting toward anything but there could still be time for changes. 

1 hour ago, TheMightyBK said:

it's terrible

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I find this to be beautiful.  They could have tacked on a cheap glass box, but instead, they're building what appears to be a beautiful limestone structure that complements the gorgeous old courthouse.  I love it.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Woah, we have a construction start date for this building. Fall 2018. I'm stunned its going to start this soon. Another 200 foot building under construction for Charlotte. 

Wow, really 200 feet?  that seems pretty tall for an 8 story building but I'll take it.  Thanks for the info. 

3 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Wow, really 200 feet?  that seems pretty tall for an 8 story building but I'll take it.  Thanks for the info. 

oh its supposed to be 10 floors with 20 ft ceilings, so if its 8 floors it'll be 160.