Jonas Federal Courthouse Expansion ( 10 floors / 165 feet) + Historic Renovation

uptownliving

The new 10-story federal courthouse in Salt Lake City (which I'm a big fan of, by the way) is approximately 200' tall.  I like that the architect (Thomas Phifer, who also designed the NC Museum of Art in Raleigh) decided to go ultra-modern but took inspiration from the adjacent 1905 courthouse so the new building complemented the old.

http://www.architectmagazine.com/design/buildings/united-states-courthouse-designed-by-thomas-phifer-and-partners_o

http://www.archdaily.com/588373/united-states-courthouse-salt-lake-city-thomas-phifer-and-partners

cdnassets.hw.net.jpg

• Like 4

" The campus will also be redesigned to make it more inviting to the public without sacrificing security."

How in the world will they accomplish both of these goals? The only way I can imagine is if they moved the existing perimeter fence up toward the building by about 100 ft and added public seating areas on that portion of the lawn. But even then they'll still need that 360 degree fence, yeah?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Eh, I have to say that the SLC courthouse does not impress me a bit. I looked at all the images in both articles and read ArchDaily fairly regularly, but I guess I just don't get it. Looks like a telecom building with a few windows on top. This of course coming from a non-architecture/design person, but still. To me, meh...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

Eh, I have to say that the SLC courthouse does not impress me a bit. I looked at all the images in both articles and read ArchDaily fairly regularly, but I guess I just don't get it. Looks like a telecom building with a few windows on top. This of course coming from a non-architecture/design person, but still. To me, meh...

I have to agree. I don't like it at all and really hope we don't get anything even remotely close to that (not trying to be contrary cltcane, you probably know WAY more about architecture than I). I have no idea what something more classic would look like at the height of this building, but I'd like to see someone try.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jednc said:

I have to agree. I don't like it at all and really hope we don't get anything even remotely close to that (not trying to be contrary cltcane, you probably know WAY more about architecture than I). I have no idea what something more classic would look like at the height of this building, but I'd like to see someone try.

The issue with another neo-classical building is that if it is not executed well (which costs a lot of money), it could very well look like a cheap knock-off of the original.  I would much rather the architect incorporate design details inspired by the existing courthouse and do something completely different.  It doesn't have to be as ultra-modern as the SLC courthouse (I've always been a fan of modern architecture, but I know not everyone is), but a sleek contemporary building would provide a nice juxtaposition and highlight architectural details of the current Jonas Courthouse.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cltcane said:

The issue with another neo-classical building is that if it is not executed well (which costs a lot of money), it could very well look like a cheap knock-off of the original.  I would much rather the architect incorporate design details inspired by the existing courthouse and do something completely different.  It doesn't have to be as ultra-modern as the SLC courthouse (I've always been a fan of modern architecture, but I know not everyone is), but a sleek contemporary building would provide a nice juxtaposition and highlight architectural details of the current Jonas Courthouse.

I do agree with this, though there are some pretty solid recent examples of neo-classical that have been executed so well.  The Schermerhorn Symphony Center comes to mind, though admittedly I'm not sure what the price of that sucker was.  It's a beauty though.

42 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I do agree with this, though there are some pretty solid recent examples of neo-classical that have been executed so well.  The Schermerhorn Symphony Center comes to mind, though admittedly I'm not sure what the price of that sucker was.  It's a beauty though.

$120 million compared to $62 million (in 1992 dollars) for the Blumenthal PAC complex (Belk Theater, Booth Playhouse, and Stage Door Theater) , $48 million for DPAC, and $78 for the upcoming Steven Tanger Center in Greensboro.  It is a beautiful building, though.  And I would be fully supportive of a neo-classical design for a entirely new courthouse on a different site.  I'm not saying it can't work for the annex, but it will have to be designed and built to look like an original extension of the courthouse, not a 21st century addition, for it not to look awkward in my opinion.

• Like 1

I think designing it not to look like an addition is going to be impossible. I'm expecting a modern/contemporary style, which is what the federal government tends to build. They do invest in high quality architecture most of the time though, so whatever they build I have high expectations.

Something like this would look great though (albeit a little shorter) OR this, but a little taller.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I personally always liked Cleveland's. it has GREAT height to it. I agree with everything Cltcane says. This building cannot be neoclassical, it must be super modernist. With the current budget, we will get a 10 floor terd, if we try to do faux neoclassical. This was Charlottes previous attempt at Neo Classical

615EastMoreheadSt.jpg

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I personally always liked Cleveland's. it has GREAT height to it. I agree with everything Cltcane says. This building cannot be neoclassical, it must be super modernist. With the current budget, we will get a 10 floor terd, if we try to do faux neoclassical. This was Charlottes previous attempt at Neo Classical

615EastMoreheadSt.jpg

The only thing on this building that seems remotely neo-classical are the four columns at the top. Remove those and I actually like this building (clearly not a courthouse).

I personally enjoy the designs of the LA, SLC, Buffalo, Brooklyn, Cleveland and StL courthouses.  I think they mainly stick within two camps: neoclassical and modern.  I would actually prefer something modern and sleeker than neoclassical.  If we can get anything on the scale of the Buffalo courthouse (it's 10 stories and gorgeous) I will be happy. 

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

A designer RFP for the courthouse dropped, listing nearly 200,000 SF for the "annex" and renovating the 135,000 SF existing building. The budget is set for $125-140 million. This project will be a beast. 

woah. That seems burly for 10 floors on a back lot. Since its a courthouse you can expect at least 15-18 foot ceilings, so 18-20 foot floor heights so we should get a building the height between Aly Bank and the Ritz.

Edited by Guest

I'm excited for the location because it will continue to make uptown more "3D" or contribute to a solid "core" as opposed to how we used to be linear along Tryon and pretty much that was it. 

I wish home plate lofts, the BBT outfield building, another building beside Ascent or behind Trademark would be built, and of course Gateway, and third ward will be a really solid downtown area that doesn't follow a street or two.

• Like 2

Just now, AirNostrumMAD said:

I'm excited for the location because it will continue to make uptown more "3D" or contribute to a solid "core" as opposed to how we used to be linear along Tryon and pretty much that was it. 

I wish home plate lofts, the BBT outfield building, another building beside Ascent or behind Trademark would be built, and of course Gateway, and third ward will be a really solid downtown area that doesn't follow a street or two.

Add in a redone Polk complete with a decently tall residential tower attached to it. :ph34r:

30 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Add in a redone Polk complete with a decently tall residential tower attached to it. :ph34r:

I walk/drive by Polk every day.  It really does have some unique features on the Trade & Graham sides.  But the Wilkes and 5th sides are just horrible.  I haven't the slightest how they could make it work.  Are there any renderings out there?