Jonas Federal Courthouse Expansion ( 10 floors / 165 feet) + Historic Renovation

uptownliving

33 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Add in a redone Polk complete with a decently tall residential tower attached to it. :ph34r:

What??  You mean that building might actually get saved?  I have been hoping against hope it would.  

Actually I've been secretly hoping Conformity would buy that building, the Builders Building, and whatever the building with the green facade is (don't know the name) and turn that area into a little historic preservation zone.

LOL, no renderings yet. The one above is from 2007. I've heard from a couple people around town that Northwood Ravin is putting together plans that involve keeping Polk and developing a high rise. I'm skeptical, since they have a 17 floor building under development on Stonewall. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

LOL, no renderings yet. The one above is from 2007. I've heard from a couple people around town that Northwood Ravin is putting together plans that involve keeping Polk and developing a high rise. I'm skeptical, since they have a 17 floor building under development on Stonewall. 

I'm confused, what was your post about last year then? 

Well, Tampa got creative with their old Federal Courthouse and converted it into a La Meridian. Not sure this if this is something that Charlotte needs as we already have a LM but I still say there is demand for another boutique hotel in uptown.

AR-140619536.jpg

9 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

I'm confused, what was your post about last year then? 

It was showing a previous plan for the site, I'm pretty sure. but Shrug 

On 4/25/2016 at 3:00 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I personally always liked Cleveland's. it has GREAT height to it. I agree with everything Cltcane says. This building cannot be neoclassical, it must be super modernist. With the current budget, we will get a 10 floor terd, if we try to do faux neoclassical. This was Charlottes previous attempt at Neo Classical

On 4/25/2016 at 5:12 PM, tozmervo said:

I'm going to leave this one right here too... Behold the Bumcombe County Courthouse in Asheville, it's made even more amazing by the awesome art deco City hall that's to the right of it. Their courthouse is 17 stories, but the concepts of neo-classical revival architecture can be applied in a quality way, especially with the budget they are working with. 

Fun fact #1: Those buildings and Pack Square in Asheville were recommended by Jon Nolen (the say guy that laid out Myers Park).
Fun fact #2: Charlotte's old City Hall and old County Courthouse buildings are much smaller versions of the same style of architecture.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I'm going to leave this one right here too... Behold the Bumcombe County Courthouse in Asheville, it's made even more amazing by the awesome art deco City hall that's to the right of it. Their courthouse is 17 stories, but the concepts of neo-classical revival architecture can be applied in a quality way, especially with the budget they are working with. 

Fun fact #1: Those buildings and Pack Square in Asheville were recommended by Jon Nolen (the say guy that laid out Myers Park).
Fun fact #2: Charlotte's old City Hall and old County Courthouse buildings are much smaller versions of the same style of architecture.

That's nice and I like it . . . for Asheville.  Here in Charlotte, I prefer something more modern to expand the radius of our central district.  This also has the added benefit of really letting the original Jonas Courthouse shine.  Why spoil the nostalgia by mixing in faux/fake/crap materials?  I say go modern.

You're assuming they would design something with fake materials. If it's done well and high quality then it would look just fine. My only point is that a neo-classical mid-rise can be done and it can look good. Why is is "modern/contemporary" the only type of architecture we can get in this city? It's boring and unimaginative, and it doesn't work well when you don't have a palette (tapestry?) of old buildings to create contrast. I'm not suggesting that nobody build modern/contemporary, but just throw in something different occasionally. If there were ever a good spot for something traditional uptown, this location would be it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Spartan said:

You're assuming they would design something with fake materials. If it's done well and high quality then it would look just fine. My only point is that a neo-classical mid-rise can be done and it can look good. Why is is "modern/contemporary" the only type of architecture we can get in this city? It's boring and unimaginative, and it doesn't work well when you don't have a palette (tapestry?) of old buildings to create contrast. I'm not suggesting that nobody build modern/contemporary, but just throw in something different occasionally. If there were ever a good spot for something traditional uptown, this location would be it.

Forgive the tongue-in-cheek remark, I didn't mean to make it sound like they would half-@$$ the job.  I'm sure it would look grand, and really look nice.  But I'm going a different direction entirely.  The new court house should let the old one shine through in all its glory by opting for something more modern.  Just a personal opinion.

5 minutes ago, mpretori said:

So whats going to go here? If this just a renovation, full-new construction, or add-on? 

Well, going on what's been stated by numerous outlets and here: there will be a restoration to the existing building, and a new construction/add-on on the parking lot in the back