Metro Connectivity

nickmgray

Ok, I've always been a big supporter of public transportation since I was a kid. I lived in Rome, Italy growing up and I loved the buses and metro, but here in the twin cities things are a bit different. I think we need a more connected transit system that's fun.

One technology that I think government officials should think of implementing is a momorail. A lot ness noise that the light rail and a lot more noticeable. It's easy to install and a lot cheater as well.

Imagine taking a trip from Minneapolis to St. Paul on an elevated monorail, seeing both skylines at once. I think it would be simply amazing.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I've always been a big supporter of public transportation since I was a kid. I lived in Rome, Italy growing up and I loved the buses and metro, but here in the twin cities things are a bit different.  I think we need a more connected transit system that's fun.

One technology that I think government officials should think of implementing is a momorail.  A lot ness noise that the light rail and a lot more noticeable.  It's easy to install and a lot cheater as well. 

Imagine taking a trip from Minneapolis to St. Paul on an elevated monorail, seeing both skylines at once.  I think it would be simply amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Monorail....my favorite means of rail transportation, however there is a reason most US cities have not decided to choose light rail: cost. It is far more expensive than light rail because you have to build a huge elevated track whereas light rail trains can run on the street. Monorail is safer, looks better, and I think it is better for the environment, but cost is the biggest factor, and it is too expensive for light rail. Now that Minneapolis has started light rail, they should continue expanding it, first with the Central Corridor I hope (connects Minneapolis and St. Paul).

Cost would be high, but I think that it would be cheaper that purchasing land, laying foundation for 8 miles of track, power lines and poles. With monorail all you put up is cenemt or steel pillars and the evevated track that's precontructed off site.

Cost would be high, but I think that it would be cheaper that purchasing land, laying foundation for 8 miles of track, power lines and poles.  With monorail all you put up is cenemt or steel pillars and the evevated track that's precontructed off site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's not forget the expensive, elevated stations that go along with it. I'm all for monorail, but its just too expensive. You said about the foundations for light rail? Well what about the thousands of deep foundations you need for the cement pillars?

Archived