Atlanta vs. Miami

peaceloveunderstanding

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is important to note all of the companies that were mentioned earlier such as lennar and motorola but what many people here are forgetting is, even if we are not home to a slew of Fortune 500 companies we are home to their latin american headquaters. Some examples include. Microsoft, SBC, Chrysler and many more. Miami serves an important function as a Latin American Capital this comparison which it seems is always made by some jelous or insecure Atlanta forumer is ridiculous.

Futhermore as a latin american forumer I think its important to realize that Miami is viewed in Latin America the way New York is viewed in the u.s. Many of the networks in Latin America have there studios based in miami and many of there tv shows come from miami and are based in miami. Additionally many people form latin america come to Miami to shop our stores.

:thumbsup:

I am not a jealous Atlanta forumer.  I have no connection to ATL.  I just think in the aggregate that ATL is more valuable to the US economy than MIA.  By the way, the person who started this thread is from Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No,.. its not a Atl connection, its because he's from Jacksonville

For some reason or another, the media in Jacksonville is very bias and promotes a

sort of propaganda that gives people in Jax kind of a superiority complex to the rest of the state, and even dares to compare it self to Atlanta every once and a while.

The reson i say this is because the precept ion that the news gives the people is

not the reality. I do realize its news media, and its selective regarding its stories, but the focus seems to be completely off track.

Example: Watching First Coast News a few nights ago and I see a story about a crime somewhere in CRAZY South Florida where there is no business and murderous drug dealers run ramped thru the streets and there is no real sence of government. But shortly after the story, there is BIG news concerning a bar in the Landing (Downtown Retail and Entertainment Center) serving alcohol after 2am and how it would impact Jacksonville's economy.

Im not hating on Jax's potential business ,,..

I just think the people's precept ion there is kinda funky..

Let's not go to stereotyping a metro of 1.3 million residents based on one guy's comment and a local news channel you happened to be watching on night. If we play it that way, then the perception people have in this entire country is kind of funky.

The reality is, like most other places, including South Florida, regular people in the Jax metro area could care less about what goes on outside of their local region. Nevertheless, if someone attempts to compare their hometown, with another, what's wrong with that? That's one of the best ways to learn, what and what not to do, to enhance your own city's quality of life.

No,.. its not a Atl connection, its because he's from Jacksonville

For some reason or another, the media in Jacksonville is very bias and promotes a

sort of propaganda that gives people in Jax kind of a superiority complex to the rest of the state, and even dares to compare it self to Atlanta every once and a while.

The reson i say this is because the precept ion that the news gives the people is

not the reality. I do realize its news media, and its selective regarding its stories, but the focus seems to be completely off track.

Example: Watching First Coast News a few nights ago and I see a story about a crime somewhere in CRAZY South Florida where there is no business and murderous drug dealers run ramped thru the streets and there is no real sence of government. But shortly after the story, there is BIG news concerning a bar in the Landing (Downtown Retail and Entertainment Center) serving alcohol after 2am and how it would impact Jacksonville's economy.

Im not hating on Jax's potential business ,,..

I just think the people's precept ion there is kinda funky..

Huh?? I am not really sure how me and the people of Jacksonville got dragged into this argument. I gave my opinion, that was all. I hardly ever even watch the local news. I get all my local news from the papers and the Jacksonville forum. And I never criticised Miami.

^ Point taken

Its not 1.3 yet,.. and besides, thats isnt a real big deal these days for a metro to be over 1 mil (larger city areas speaking)

All I can say is media in this particular city seems to be obsesed with its own growth none so like I have ever seen before, and kind of have a chip on its sholder being in a state were its more or less overshadowed by about 4 or 5 other metro areas. I guess to lighten my statement up a little Lakelander,.. Jax is like the kid whom all his life was looked over, sometimes picked on, but now has grown up a bit and trying to catch up with his older and bigger brothers over and underachieving at times, and the media outlets there are the narrators of this story. It can be a lil bit much at times, but its one reasons I kinda like living here...

1,225,381 according to last year's census estimates, and growing fairly rapidly, so the 1.3 mark will be here anyday now. Nevertheless, I'm not claiming 1.3 million is a big deal. I'm only saying its illogical to place that many residents, from any area, under one umbrella, especially considering the different nationalities and cultures making up the city. Just compare the attitude of people living in places like Springfield or the Northside, with those in Orange Park or Ponte Vedra.

From my view, the issues presented on Jax's local news (thw two years I've lived here) mirror that of the Tampa/Orlando news stations I watched for over 20 years, while living in Central Florida.

Miami, no doubt

Atlanta's industries would be elsewhere if the city never existed.  If Miami wasn't there and even if maybe Castro had never taken over, we wouldn't have this Latin city in the U.S. that acts as the financial and entertainment center for Latin America.  Dallas, Houston, or Tampa couldn't (and probably wouldn't) serve the same purpose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite frankly... I'd credit the success of Miami to Henry Flagger and those who worked hard to pave the way for northerners to move south to escape harsh winter colds. Miami's success didn't come without the help of outsiders, and Cubans, or any other internationals wouldn't be drawn to that city if not for its proxmity to their native lands. Despite saying that, being that it is in Florida, I do love our Miami!

At the same time, Atlanta, sitting in the heart of the south is probably not only the most important city in the south, but I'd say it ranks up there after D.C., NY, LA. Wisemen used to say all roads lead to Atlanta, look at a map, not all, but many do! Atlanta's airport is one of the world's busiest, Atlanta has a bustling entertainment industry now, it is home to some of the nation's top companies, and it is located in a more accessable location.

Atlanta wins this one. Sorry Miami.

At the same time, Atlanta, sitting in the heart of the south is probably not only the most important city in the south, but I'd say it ranks up there after D.C., NY, LA.

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement that I'm sure most, outside of Georgia its border states, excluding NC & FL, will agree with. We've had this dicussion plenty of times before and I think most will say that Atlanta sits on the same level as Miami, Houston & Dallas as the South's most important cities. Under DC, if you're one of the people, like me, who consider DC as a border city or part of the South.

Well, since this thread is geared towards who is most important to the south, how about port cities in the states of Alabama(Mobile) and Louisiana(New Orleans). It appears that since the hurricane Katrina hit (and destroyed some gas lines in these states), there have been enormous spikes in gas prices from Texas to SC.

It makes one think, just what state or city is important to the south???????????????????

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement that I'm sure most, outside of Georgia its border states, excluding NC & FL, will agree with.  We've had this dicussion plenty of times before and I think most will say that Atlanta sits on the same level as Miami, Houston & Dallas as the South's most important cities.  Under DC, if you're one of the people, like me, who consider DC as a border city or part of the South.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, it's very difficult to make a case for Atlanta being more important than Dallas or Houston.

I agree, it's very difficult to make a case for Atlanta being more important than Dallas or Houston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see Dallas and Atlanta as about equal in the importance standings because they are both regional business centers. I would rank Houston above them only because of its importance to the petrochemical industry.

Archived