Will Publix ever come to Charlotte?

atownrocks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bi-Lo is not leaving the Charlotte market anytime soon, they still consider it a "core" market for them. I would love for Publix to enter the area here, but it seems like any new chain has a rough go of it when they first come into Charlotte. People's grocery shopping habits are sometimes hard to change, so any new grocery store chain would have to saturate the market with new stores, just to get any attention.

Bi-Lo is not leaving the Charlotte market anytime soon, they still consider it a "core" market for them.  I would love for Publix to enter the area here, but it seems like any new chain has a rough go of it when they first come into Charlotte.  People's grocery shopping habits are sometimes hard to change, so any new grocery store chain would have to saturate the market with new stores, just to get any attention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there is any grocery store in this country that can come into a market and change the natives' shopping habits, it would be Publix. I usually shop at Kroger or Whole Foods but I regularly shop at Publix as well. Kroger used to dominate the market until Publix entered the scene. Kroger is still number one but Publix is a strong number two. What Publix does is locate first in affluent areas....right across the street or near already established grocers. They offer cleaner stores, fresher food and slightly lower prices. Eventually people will let go their loyalties for the bottom line.

I truly believe that Publix is one the way.

If there is any grocery store in this country that can come into a market and change the natives' shopping habits, it would be Publix. I usually shop at Kroger or Whole Foods but I regularly shop at Publix as well. Kroger used to dominate the market until Publix entered the scene. Kroger is still number one but Publix is a strong number two. What Publix does is locate first in affluent areas....right across the street or near already established grocers. They offer cleaner stores, fresher food and slightly lower prices. Eventually people will let go their loyalties for the bottom line.

I truly believe that Publix is one the way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also vote for Kroger to come back to Charlotte. I know this off topic, but does anybody remember how long Kroger was in Charlotte before it pulled up stakes and left?

I think that there was previously a thread on this exact topic. I don't see why a Publix would be any better then what is currently available. Lowes Foods and Harris Teeter seem to be pretty good. Winn Dixie did not have too great of an influence on the Charlotte 'grocery scene' that I know of (as compared to HT or Food Lion). I have only seen two in the Charlotte area.

Publix does build urban stores though, Harris Teeter has a few of those...

Harris Teeter must have a strangle hold on the Charlotte market.

Atlanta has a very crowded market and quite honestly I don't see how so many survive here. I can't believe that Kroger has not come into the Charlotte market. I only wished that Harris Teeter would have never left the Atlanta market. When they were here, I shopped them the most. I think I have said on another Charlotte post why I so loved HT in Atlanta. They were much different than I hear people talk of them in Charlotte. It was like HT and Brunos were the Bloomingdales of grocery stores.

Maybe they will come back on day.

I think that there was previously a thread on this exact topic. I don't see why a Publix would be any better then what is currently available. Lowes Foods and Harris Teeter seem to be pretty good. Winn Dixie did not have too great of an influence on the Charlotte 'grocery scene' that I know of (as compared to HT or Food Lion). I have only seen two in the Charlotte area.

Publix does build urban stores though, Harris Teeter has a few of those...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will say this Moonshield........the more competiton you have in a given market, the better the prices. The consumer always win in a crowded market.

Harris Teeter must have a strangle hold on the Charlotte market.

Atlanta has a very crowded market and quite honestly I don't see how so many survive here.

Eeh, I may have to respectfully disagree here. Did you maybe mean "Charlotte" instead of "Atlanta?"

In Atlanta, there's a Kroger...then a Publix...then another Kroger...then another Publix...then another Kroger....then another Publix... (etc.) within 5 miles of where I used to (my parents still do) live. My parents used to shop at Cub (not only because I worked there ^_^ ), but when they left town, that was pretty much it for them. Now mom goes to Publix to buy meat and produce because she doesn't like Kroger's meat and produce, but doesn't buy much else at Publix because the prices are higher. And I do miss Bruno's/Ogletree's in Atlanta, too.

And yes, I suppose there are still a handful of Winn-Dixies -- or ShopRite or whatever they're calling them now -- in east Cobb and other metro parts, but for the most part, it's K vs. P.

I must say that I like the fact that there is much more selection here in Charlotte, even though I shop at Food Lion 99% of the time (used to have one of those back home as well). As to how they all survive, I haven't the foggiest idea. Would adding Publix be a good move? Well, personally, I could live my entire life without going into another Publix because they're all (at least the ones I've been in :) ) crowded at all times of the day and they have such narrow aisles with stuff too high up on them. (It makes me feel claustrophobic.) However, I would think that Publix would do fairly well here and could easily attract a following.

Matt

Piggly Wiggly runs one of the best grocery stores I have been to, Newton Farms in the Charleston area. I think they are opening one near Myrtle Beach soon. Not sure what kinds of gourmet grocery stores are in the Charlotte area but i'm sure this kind of store would work well there.

Newton Farms

Inspired by open-air European markets, Newton Farms is a subtle blend of Southern hospitality, thoughtful food selection, and refined tastes. Whether it's fresh local produce, a select cut of Kobe beef, or a vintage Merlot, this extraordinary market has what you're looking for.

Newton Farms

I'm not a fan of Publix, I prefer to shop at BiLo or Harris Teeter personally.

Piggly Wiggly runs one of the best grocery stores I have been to, Newton Farms in the Charleston area.  I think they are opening one near Myrtle Beach soon.  Not sure what kinds of gourmet grocery stores are in the Charlotte area but i'm sure this kind of store would work well there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are about to build a Piggly Wiggly in Calabash--I just saw the site this weekend. I find it very odd that Piggly Wigglys are decent in other areas because the only one I'm familiar with was in my hometown of Sanford and it was a total dump.

OT, but I also saw what appeared to be a fairly new Roses in N. Myrtle Beach.

No sweetie I said and meant Atlanta.

You have:

Kroger

Publix

Whole Foods

Aldi's

Ingels

Winn Dixie/SaveRite---now defunct

SuperWalmart

SuperTarget

Bi-Lo

Food Lion

Wayfield Foods

Piggly Wiggly

Good point. I didn't think to count the Food Lion, Ingles (most), and Bi-Lo locations as being in Metro Atlanta, but that's just me being east Cobb-centric again. :lol: And as far as Whole Foods goes, that one completely slipped my mind. To be honest, I'm just not used to thinking of them as a grocery store.

Did you ever go to SaveRite? We went there only once or twice. They were pretty subpar. Kinda sad to see W/D disappear into oblivion like that.

See ya, darlin'!

Matt

They are about to build a Piggly Wiggly in Calabash--I just saw the site this weekend. I find it very odd that Piggly Wigglys are decent in other areas because the only one I'm familiar with was in my hometown of Sanford and it was a total dump.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's true, some PW's are nice and some not so nice

The Roses in N. Myrtle Beach, along the main road is actually old if we r thinking of the same one....it's built beside a grocery store right? I believe a somewhat dumpy Harris Teeter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it's on 17. There was something beside it, but I can't remember what.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol yeah that is true, the Piggly Wiggly downtown Charleston was in pretty bad shape but they completely redid that store recently and it looks really nice now.

Archived