Borders Express at Haywood

gs3

Has anybody been through Haywood lately? Apparently, as part of the remodel, the old Waldenbooks closed, remodeled and expanded, and reopened as a Borders Express with music and gifts included. I haven't been in the mall in sometime, just wondering if this new store had the atmosphere of a freestanding Borders.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't very much different than when it was Waldenbooks although I am wondering if calling the newly remodeled store Borders Express is a way of allowing Greenville to get a feel for Borders before a big Borders opens here????Hopefully...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you're right. I miss Borders and would love to see one of their larger stores open up here in Greenville!

I am still holding out hope that Borders will move into the space at the corner of Washington and Main (the building with red and white striped awning). There is absolutely no rumor to substantiate that, but I think it would be great and would give them plenty of room for two levels if they want it.

I am still holding out hope that Borders will move into the space at the corner of Washington and Main (the building with red and white striped awning).  There is absolutely no rumor to substantiate that, but I think it would be great and would give them plenty of room for two levels if they want it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you Greenville. There is a Borders in downtown Saratoga Springs, NY. Its a town similar in size and feel to Greenville. They seem to be doing extremely well there.

Borders was originally supposed to go to Greenridge where Barnes & Noble is now. When B&N heard that they were looking at the sight, they signed first to keep them out of the market. Otherwise B&N would not have built a second location so close to the first. Shortly after, it was rumored that Borders was going to the Point and the capllc.com website even showed a location for a national bookstore. That has since been taken off the website but the site remains empty. If you look at the site plan on the website or go to the Point, you will see an empty piece of land directly across from Bob Evans/Sticky Fingers and in front of Whole Foods. So far I don't think it has been leased or at least named...

I think it would make more sense for Borders to be downtown instead of at The Point right across from Barnes and Noble. They would be crazy to locate there now that B&N signed the lease to be at The Shops at Greenridge. Besides, downtown is ripe for a great bookstore (no offense to the ones already there) with national prominence. If Borders goes downtown, it will certainly do quite well.

I think it would make more sense for Borders to be downtown instead of at The Point right across from Barnes and Noble.  They would be crazy to locate there now that B&N signed the lease to be at The Shops at Greenridge.  Besides, downtown is ripe for a great bookstore (no offense to the ones already there) with national prominence.  If Borders goes downtown, it will certainly do quite well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe that is the reason they didn't take that spot at the point. Maybe they have their eyes on a spot downtown. Huh....something to think about.

Archived