The Watering Hole

If it's alright with everyone, I thought we should start our own "off topic" thread to give people a chance just to sound off about anything. Since "Coffee House" has already been taken, I gave ours a different name. Time for some of you lurkers to post something :thumbsup:

I saw about a dozen groups of students walking around downtown being led by "tour guides" today. Any ideas? Maybe freshman orientation for one of the colleges?

Edited by GRDadof3

Ohh, "watering hole"! I hope that includes drinks while we're kvetching. Here, I'll turn on the virtual martini fountain...

Here's a non-housing beef I have....since when did paved driveways become the norm? I hate 'em. They cause needless run-off, increase heat, and show off those attractive oil stains. When we take our walks around the neighborhood, I envy those house dwellers who have gravel or weedy-brick driveways. That's livin', baby!

Especially annoying are those well-meaning aquaintences (never friends) who feel compelled to point out the many cracks in our unnecessarily-paved driveway. (It came with the house.) As if a driveway, for crying out loud, is supposed to look pristine and "new!"

Stay outta Eastown, you new-ness addicts!

Ok, I'm feeling better. Hand me a gin & tonic, will you, Dadof3?

Ohh, "watering hole"! I hope that includes drinks while we're kvetching. Here, I'll turn on the virtual martini fountain...

Here's a non-housing beef I have....since when did paved driveways become the norm? I hate 'em. They cause needless run-off, increase heat, and show off those attractive oil stains. When we take our walks around the neighborhood, I envy those house dwellers who have gravel or weedy-brick driveways. That's livin', baby!

Especially annoying are those well-meaning aquaintences (never friends) who feel compelled to point out the many cracks in our unnecessarily-paved driveway. (It came with the house.) As if a driveway, for crying out loud, is supposed to look pristine and "new!"

Stay outta Eastown, you new-ness addicts!

Ok, I'm feeling better. Hand me a gin & tonic, will you, Dadof3?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One G&T, coming up :D

The GRAM has installed a camera on the Steketee Building to watch live updates.  I didn't know that there was a rooftop patio on the "Two Choppers" Buildling.  Pan straight down with the camera:

http://69.217.239.140/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like that camera thing, it's kind of fun, if the traffic on the site gets too high it seems like they could have some problems though, wonder how that would work?

I saw about a dozen groups of students walking around downtown being led by "tour guides" today.  Any ideas?  Maybe freshman orientation for one of the colleges?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brought my two daughters down there today and saw them too. When I mentioned it to my 6 year old, she said they were there to make downtown look busy just like Chicago. :P Ahh, the innocence of youth.

Interesting fact I posted on the general Urban Discussion board: When Riverhouse begins construction, it will be the tallest building under construction in all of Michigan, and will be the first building built over 350' in Michigan in 13 YEARS. If Grooters starts reading here, look out for that ego boost :P

andy, I know it's a chain, but we go to Carlos O'Kelleys out on 28th once in a while.  The food is pretty good, and pretty cheap.  Gotta have my Mas Macho Burro  :P  :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose I should've added my favorites in here too: Cottage Bar, One Trick Pony, Morado Sushi, Tacos El Ganadero in Stockbridge is the best Mexican place in town. :D

I suppose I should've added my favorites in here too: Cottage Bar, One Trick Pony, Morado Sushi, Tacos El Ganadero in Stockbridge is the best Mexican place in town.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found One Trick Pony to be less than wonderful. Perhaps it was the extremely loud band in a tiny space. I'll have to try it again.

Judson's is a great place to get a steak, the Silver Derby has great Chili dogs (2 for $2.25) and Muncho's Pizza on eastern just north of Burton has some pretty amazing pizza.

I noticed UrbanPlanet was lucky enough to get mentioned in another prestigious area publication:  http://www.localareawatch.org/2005/08/banned_on_urban.html

:lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Banned because he disagreed with the host's views on a KKK rally? :huh: I thought monsoon gave him the boot for other rant reasons. Oh, it's time to have a little fun with Tingley.

Edited by GRDadof3

^^That is awesome.

On another subject, what is everyone's favorite restaurant in GR?  It doesn't hafta be downtown, just GR in general.  I'm always lookin' for something new.  Oh, and cheap is always a plus :P .  Thanks in advance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Salvatore's in Stockbridge area never disappoints, Cherie Inn on Cherry Street and Sundance Grill downtown have never provided a bad meal for us, and Vitale's on Leonard has been a family favorite for over 20 years. Of course, there are several more expensive restaurants that provide a great meal. But these are the cheaper eateries that we love.

Banned because he disagreed with the host's views on a KKK rally?  :huh:  I thought  monsoon gave him the boot for other rant reasons.  Oh, it's time to have a little fun with Tingley.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like an interesting character, care to fill me and anyone else new(er) in on the background here?

My husband and I are huge fans of 'Marie Catribs' breakfast. They serve these stuffed crepes with cream cheese, carmelized bananas and walnuts--damn good! I am glad it is almost 5:00, because I am getting hungry.

Good topic. I am always up for trying new places to eat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Schnitz Deli, Great sandwiches. Anyone try Louis Bentons? havent heard anything good or bad, just curious.

Schnitz Deli, Great sandwiches. Anyone try Louis Bentons? havent heard anything good or bad, just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, and the food was fantastic. I had a huge steak and fancy-pants mashed potatoes. Its a good place to take your wife/girlfriend for a romantic evening. But be prepared to spend over $100 on just the two of you ;)