The Watering Hole

That's what I was thinkin.  Have they ever tried putting a couple dozen tables out and tried to get some hot dog carts out there?  That might be kinda cool

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They used to have tables out there owned by the city, but apparently they got worn out and were not replaced due to, you guessed it, budget cuts.

They used to have tables out there owned by the city, but apparently they got worn out and were not replaced due to, you guessed it, budget cuts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember 2 or 3 years ago they had some tables out there, but there were literally only 5 or 6 in that huge flat area, and they were all about 30 feet from one another. It looked really strange. :huh:

I'm no economist, but hopefully the city coffers will fatten up soon with money from some of these new projects increasing the DDA budget. How many of them are "tax free" like Moch's project?

I'm no economist, but hopefully the city coffers will fatten up soon with money from some of these new projects increasing the DDA budget.  How many of them are "tax free" like Moch's project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think most of them are trying to get tax-free status, and the city hopes that the spin-off investment will come in. Hey, we could be Lansing, where the only new construction downtown is for the State of Michigan, tax-free forever :blink:

Are there other theaters beside the Wealthy Theater that show indie and foreign films in Grand Rapids?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know how alternative you want, but you could check out these blogs/websites:

http://www.thedaac.org/

http://upcoming.org/venue/metro/33/

bad link, scroll to the bottom of the page

http://www.g-rad.org/

Does the 10 Weston Theatre show films?

Edited by GRDadof3

When you get a chance, check in at the Louisiana forum to find out more about Hurricane Katrina. Parts of Louisiana may be evacuated for up to 6 weeks I hear (I can't even fathom having to leave my home for that long). We are very fortunate to live in an area that is not prone to such natural disasters. And give to the Red Cross if you get a chance. Thanks.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15374

When you get a chance, check in at the Louisiana forum to find out more about Hurricane Katrina.  Parts of Louisiana may be evacuated for up to 6 weeks I hear (I can't even fathom having to leave my home for that long).  We are very fortunate to live in an area that is not prone to such natural disasters.  And give to the Red Cross if you get a chance.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea Grdad. That is an unbelievable disaster. The mayor is saying probably over a thousand dead :(

When you get a chance, check in at the Louisiana forum to find out more about Hurricane Katrina.  Parts of Louisiana may be evacuated for up to 6 weeks I hear (I can't even fathom having to leave my home for that long).  We are very fortunate to live in an area that is not prone to such natural disasters.  And give to the Red Cross if you get a chance.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hate to say it, but 6 weeks is probably too optimistic right now. Evacuations arent going so smoothly.

Anyone else feel like going back to talking about construction projects and urban renewal.  This cultural difference, red state/blue state, liberal-conservative talk bores me to tears  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes please. To me the red state-blue state isn't boring but more of an exercise in futility. It doesn't change many minds, so they don't strike me as particularly constructive conversations.

Here's a weird thought: Does anyone else think that downtown GR "faces" west? Its probably the best downtown skyline shot coming east on 196, and its the most visible with downtown being somewhat on the hill of the Grand River valley. Currently I drive up 131 to work and it seems like the view you get from 131 around wealthy is the "old, gritty" view of downtown, where the side facing west has been polished up to look nice. Does that make sense to anyone else? Or am I just weird?

Oh on another subject:

I contacted WGVU to see if they can do a showcase of some project developments downtown. Just a note; keep your eyes open for West Michigan Week on WGVU at 9:30pm Fridays, maybe they will air a special with a guest that can give us more of an insider view as to the up and comming projects!

-----------------------------

Email: [email protected]

Address:

Phone:

How about showcasing up and coming building projects in downtown Grand Rapids? Highlight the new Alticor hotel or maybe the new high-rise 'River House.' This would be a great topic for the West Michigan Week program.

Thanks.

Reply:

Thanks, Brent, for your suggestions. With this reply I am passing these ideas along to production. Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Carrie Corbin

Program Manager

WGVU-TV

Does Cooley/WMU have another construction project on the board?  I noticed that the adjacent surface lot to the south of their building has a temporary chain link fence around it, but I can't remember if it has always been there or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are getting ready to build a new parking ramp.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the "Icon Properties" realtor signs on 101 and 139 S. Division are one and the same as Joe Moch's Icon International?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No they are not. Icon Properties is an offshoot of McGraw Construction. Dan Durr is the agent there.

Nitro