The Watering Hole

Would you guys find any value in having a City Profile section on this site? ironchapman (from the Georgia forum) and Allan over at Detroit have made these, and they did a great job! But there is no way on God's green Earth that I would have the time to put one of these together :w00t: There are sites like CityData that get big advertising bucks for these, so doing it for free seems silly. Anyone else want to take a swing at it?

Here is the Detroit one:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15219

(every single entry has a link :blink: )

one for Savannah, GA:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13229

and one for Atlanta:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12836

Any thoughts?

Thats a cool Idea, Id love to see it for Grand Rapids, and infact if anyone doesnt mind, I might just start on it today :P

Sweet! Only about 550 to go. And since we had it changed to Metro GR, we bumped up to second billing over Mid-Michigan ;)

You're helping out a lot with that number too.. It seems like just yesterday I was reading your first post, now you're up to almost 1,300 :blink::D

Anyone know what is going on this weekend at Devos Place? The schedule shows "The Homecoming" today and tomorrow. I felt like I was in a big city this morning downtown. It wasn't just white people, :P and there were people all over the place around the Amway, Monroe Center and the convention center.

That's just it, it didn't feel like Grand Rapids. It felt more metropolitan (not to slight GR, but it's the truth). It also made me feel a little uncomfortable about the prospects of things for people to do downtown. Our retail and attraction choices for convention goers in the Center City suck, quite frankly!

However, on the bright side, people looked like they were having a good time, taking photos, looking up at buildings. And the Downtown Alliance was out in force keeping the streets and sidewalks clean.

Edited by GRDadof3

It also made me feel a little uncomfortable about the prospects of things for people to do downtown. Our retail and attraction choices for convention goers in the Center City suck, quite frankly!

Agreed. And I hope the few existing options do well enough to stay downtown too. Little Bohemia was robbed Wednesday afternoon -- across the street from the police station no less!

Maybe they are trying to create a new tourist attraction for "out of towners". The Great Wall of East Grand Rapids. Known to those "in the know" simply as "The Great Wall"

Hmm...a "Great Wall"? This one would make two; can't forget about this one:

Moch5.jpg

Anyone here suffer from insomnia?

It's 4:56 a.m. and I've been awake for an hour, surfing. Nobody seems to be around the ol' Urban Planet website; whattaya, all tucked away in yer beds? Don'tcha know misery demands company?

lol, I've had it for years, and finally found the cure about ten years ago--it works infallibly for me, and its completely drug free!

I have a good radio bedside that has a preset button tuned to WGVU AM (1480), which broadcasts the BBC from midnight to 5am... (and various other good talk features in the early evening also)

i have an earphone plugged into the radio...

when I lie awake, I simply place my small mono earphone in one ear (so as not to disturb the spouse), turn on the timer to the radio to turn off after one hour...

while I'm listening, its always intresting, and I always seem to fall asleep between the 20-minute and 50-minute interval, and the earphone sort of falls out by itself...

sometimes I actually use it to fall asleep at 11pm as well, lol....

try it, it might just work for you as well...

:)

Edited by publius