The Watering Hole

Here's a random question for everyone: On Sunday there were something like 30 or more Caucasian adults walking in two groups down my street (Sigsbee near Diamond). I'm guessing it was something church related or something, but I was curious if anyone knew what the story was. This may seem like a silly question, but those familiar with the area know we don't see that very often. Maybe it was a tour of lighthouse's work? It looked a lot like the UP lunch and learn a few weeks ago.

Edited by twoshort

Hey GR Dad . . . .Is Urban Planet down a lot? I can only get on to this site very sporadically. Many times when I type the web address and hit "enter" my screen will go completely blank. Maybe its an issue on my end? thx

This is is an issue with our company's network. I have the same problem when trying to access this site from our place of employment. Sometimes I get in, sometimes I don't. I never have the issue when accessing Urban Planet from home.

Edited by Par75

Here's a random question for everyone: On Sunday there were something like 30 or more Caucasian adults walking in two groups down my street (Sigsbee near Diamond). I'm guessing it was something church related or something, but I was curious if anyone knew what the story was. This may seem like a silly question, but those familiar with the area know we don't see that very often. Maybe it was a tour of lighthouse's work? It looked a lot like the UP lunch and learn a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure that Eastern Ave. CRC took a walking tour of the neighborhood last sunday.

On the 'random groups of people walking around' tip, does anyone know the reason for the influx of Asian people (conference attendees?) on Saturday? At first I thought everyone walking around was there for the Parade of Downtown Living, but they were there for something else. It was certainly good for the few retail stores that were open, City Market was FLOODED with people buying things! The same group was gathered outside of Van Andel box office around 6:00 pm or so. I don't know who they were, but it was great to see the streets so alive with foot traffic!

On the 'random groups of people walking around' tip, does anyone know the reason for the influx of Asian people (conference attendees?) on Saturday? At first I thought everyone walking around was there for the Parade of Downtown Living, but they were there for something else. It was certainly good for the few retail stores that were open, City Market was FLOODED with people buying things! The same group was gathered outside of Van Andel box office around 6:00 pm or so. I don't know who they were, but it was great to see the streets so alive with foot traffic!

My sister-in-law works for Alticor and we just happened to be talking about how many asains there were downtown this weekend and she said it was some sort of meeting for Alticor. She said they were all touring her work place and even taking photos of the vending machines.... =)

I think they were all from Japan. I saw them taking a picture in front of Alticor headquarters in Ada on Thursday. On Friday, there were a bunch of them taking pictures and being very "touristy" downtown. It was nice to see that in GR...wonder where they shopped downtown? On Saturday, they were downtown again. I saw them while going to the street party (from all of the busses behind the arena). Then, on Sunday, I saw a bunch of them again out in Grand Haven on the pier/beach. Whoever put on the visit for them sure did a great job. From my observations, they saw the best that GR and W. Mich. has to offer.

Edited by Rhino6885

I saw a lot of Asian tourists around the AGP the other day while doing my riverwalk tour. Amway's Asian business units are some of their fastest growing (especially with China now allowing multi-level marketing like Amway and Mary Kay). I'm sure we're going to see a lot more, and it may be a big reason why the J.W. received a lot of Japanese touches in their decor. :dontknow:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but is everyone liking the smaller picture format, with the ability to click to see a larger zoomed in image that sparky and I are doing? Hopefully it is taking some of the herky jerky out of the page loads. It's a few more steps to post photos, but hopefully it's worth it (?)

it wasnt just asians (they may stand out more seeing as how we generally dont have large groups of asian people walking around) but people from all over the world. I met some people from switzerland and they told me all about it. id give details but i was a bit inhebreated (buddies bachelor party) at mojo's

I saw a lot of Asian tourists around the AGP the other day while doing my riverwalk tour. Amway's Asian business units are some of their fastest growing (especially with China now allowing multi-level marketing like Amway and Mary Kay). I'm sure we're going to see a lot more, and it may be a big reason why the J.W. received a lot of Japanese touches in their decor. :dontknow:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but is everyone liking the smaller picture format, with the ability to click to see a larger zoomed in image that sparky and I are doing? Hopefully it is taking some of the herky jerky out of the page loads. It's a few more steps to post photos, but hopefully it's worth it (?)

I'm not familar with the UP forum software, but I'll take a guess its not actually manipulating the images so that the pages load quicker. I use high speed access and have not noticed the difference. Actually, before the images are even resized I see them full sized and then once the image is fully downloaded they are resized. This hasn't really given the photo thread any edge in the preformance department. In fact it just puts another step in the process.

At the DT Living event on Sunday, I was handed an invite to a Hawaiian-themed party at River House's lobby. It's Wednesday...and I am out of town on a business trip.

I left the invite on my front porch, and if someone on here wants to attend (they are offering a prize for best Hawaiian outfit...plus see my comments about the wonderful food they offered on the tour)...send me a PM and I will provide directions. Hate to see it go to waste.

(Just because I am stuck in Arkansas for four days doesn't mean my favorite city grinds to a halt. I sure hate missing the premiere BOTM...and the DT task force...and some of the best weather Michigan has to offer! Whine whine whine)

This is is an issue with our company's network. I have the same problem when trying to access this site from our place of employment. Sometimes I get in, sometimes I don't. I never have the issue when accessing Urban Planet from home.

so, in other words, they are trying to prevent goofin around, huh? lol

There were definately some Japanese walking around. Saw a Japanese man walking along N. Division this weekend. I could tell he was Japanese because he had a crazy spiked hairstyle wearing a business suit and actually looked good in it. Only Japanese people can pull that off.

Agreed. Also, I took a good look at the phones and cameras they were using downtown and in Grand Haven...definitely stuff we don't have over here. Very cool items.

I think they were here for the church meeting (held in VAA, simulcast in DVP) and including lots of little Ez-Up canopies on RPC.

Someday we will not notice huge crowds of people DT on a weekend BECAUSE THAT WILL BE STATUS QUO!!!

I happened to be walking to Nat'l City from the street party Saturday around 9:30pm when the Alticor meeting at VAA let out. There must have been 800+ Japanese ( sounded like Japanese ) and another 300+ Europeans walking with me on their way to the Amway Hotel. I felt very cultured in a city that typically hosts Americans and Latinos. happy.gif Hopefully in the next 10 years there will be more and more tourists in DT because it was great to be in a bustling city for 20 min.

Anybody know a place that sells old doors, knobs, etc. from remodeled/demolished houses? I swear that there is a place who sells some used building supplies. I'm looking for interior doors for my early 1900's house that match/are close to the current doors. Thanks!!

I was reading the strange places in gr topic and was reminded of a place on the East Beltline that makes me feel terrible. It is when you get to the Grand River, the funky intersection by cannonsberg road. They tore down so many trees that I could hardly believe it, it made me very sad.

Anybody know a place that sells old doors, knobs, etc. from remodeled/demolished houses? I swear that there is a place who sells some used building supplies. I'm looking for interior doors for my early 1900's house that match/are close to the current doors. Thanks!!

Try Pitsch wrecking. Or Phil's stuff on Wealthy.

Does anyone know what happened to the furniture store re-deux? I'm trying to find some reasonably priced, nicer furniture, and re-deux was recommended. I just found out about it, but its website is down (www.re-deux.com). Did it close? Also, please PM me if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Does anyone know what happened to the furniture store re-deux? I'm trying to find some reasonably priced, nicer furniture, and re-deux was recommended. I just found out about it, but its website is down (www.re-deux.com). Did it close? Also, please PM me if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

This is worth a public message. I discovered Habitat's Re-Store and want to help spread the word.

Good cause...recycles items removed from deconstructed buildings... decent furniture, building suplies, stuff at a great price.

It's on Division not far from M-6. Difficult retail hours (close at 6 pm every day).

ETA: coming soon, the stuff removed from what will become The Fitzgerald.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/knapescorner/

Edited by Veloise

This is worth a public message. I discovered Habitat's Re-Store and want to help spread the word.

Good cause.

Recycles items removed from deconstructed buildings.

Decent furniture, building suplies, stuff at a great price.

It's on Division not far from M-6. Difficult retail hours (close at 6 pm every day).

I've been there a couple times. Nothing spectaucular really, but the last time I was there they had a big stack of granite tops for your bathroom vanity for like $30. I almost bought one. Its worth checking out if you are thinking about some remodeling.

Parhelion, the wood source on 29th near Breton has some nice stuff if you dont mind finishing it yourself, but some of it is pricey. I think re-deux is in union station, is it not?

Edited by torgo

Parhelion, the wood source on 29th near Breton has some nice stuff if you dont mind finishing it yourself, but some of it is pricey. I think re-deux is in union station, is it not?

Yes, but I called their number, and it was disconnected. The website is down, and even if you search cache pages of the site, there is no recent monthly sale listed. I've been to Re-Store's before (and they're great!), and will definitely check out the Wood Source.

By way of more information, I'm looking for things like overstock and consignment designer furniture (sofas, end tables, chairs, bedframes, etc) for a loft/condo. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, they are invaluable!

Did anyone else catch the coverage of Bill Clinton's visit to the Econ Club yesterday? On WOODTV, they had video of him visiting the gravesite of Ford, and then he walked across the pedestrian bridge and over to the event at Devos Place. It was pretty cool seeing him strolling around downtown and he paid a lot of compliments to the city and Ford's resting place.

You may not agree with his past, but he received a standing ovation at the end of his speech, to a record 2100 attendees. :blink:

WOODTV Coverage

(couldn't find the video coverage)