The Watering Hole

The downtown site??? Or out here in no-man's land. I'm actually having trouble envisioning either!

a guest came into BW's today and was tslking about the davenport site.... I "overheard" them a bit and guess what the talk is about that site?

they wanna build a.... LIFESTYLE CENTER :sick::sick::sick:

no the DT site.. I asked them who they "worked" for and they said some commitee who is deciding on what to do about the DT davenport site... they actually asked me for my opinion and I immediately wrote down this website including directions to link to GR on a napkin and said, 'look here you questions will be answered by these folk." hehehe

So, I got out of work an hour early, washed up the best I could and brought a change of clothes with me to work so I could get to the BOB tonight and enjoy electronica combined with a small string ensemble. I mean, what EDM fan wouldn't? Electronica... and STRINGS! Such a combination, live, is simply breathtaking.

So, I get downtown, walk into the BOB, and I hear the music already pumping. I'm getting excited. I get up to the bouncer, and he tells me "It's $5 to get in, and you can't get in with those shoes."

..what?

"You can't get in with those shoes." I thought this was something for the movies, but apparently not. So I tell him "But uhh.. I live 30 minutes away in Wayland, that'd mean a full hour's drive and a lot of gas just for a pair of shoes. Can't you get me in?" -- "Nope."

Seriously, WHO TURNS PEOPLE AWAY BECAUSE OF SHOES ONLY?! Apparently the BOB. They really don't care about the music, just a stuffy image of "sophistication" and adults who used to be the 'popular kid' in school and out of school feel lost without that popularity and have to rely on getting drunk at 'sophisticated' clubs where they can piss their pants and pass out on their way home and it's still all OK in the end.

I just came there to listen to music. Beautiful music. But apparently I can't listen to music without wearing the right kind of shoes. That's right everyone, you have to wear certains kinds of shoes to listen to music. I mean, it should be common knowledge, right?

Seriously, what's next? Are glasses going be determined a sign of 'unsophistication'? "I'm sorry sir but you can't come in with those glasses, you'll need to wear contacts." Let's not stop there. Maybe they can add hair colour to their dress code. No blondes allowed, you'll have to go home and dye your hair black. Just so you can listen to some music.

<<

Well, whatever. I'm sure as hell not going to go back to the BOB again. Why waste my time going to a place run by pompus assholes when I can just go to a much better club in Chicago? One that won't tell me I'm not allowed because of the way I look. A place that puts the music first. Something Grand Rapids apparently doesn't have.

*sigh* I can't even begin to describe just how infuriated I am.

*sigh* I can't even begin to describe just how infuriated I am.

Hate to break it to you but the B.O.B.. more specifically Crush is not the only place with dress codes that enforce everything down to the shoes (no tennis shoes) (this is especially true in the bigger cities). Check the website next time, specifically calls out :

"Crush Nightclub maintains a dress code that encourages you to

"dress to impress." Nice jeans are allowed, but all athletic apparel is

prohibited including t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, jerseys and hats.

No atheletic, running or hiking shoes, work boots of any kind.

Collared shirts must be buttoned up and worn at appropriate lenghts."

Montes is very close to the same.. Level was the same if I recall and I'm sure Moxie will be the same. Almost every other bar d/t has some form of dress code, most include no jersey's, no excessive "bling", some don't let you wear camo shorts (I wasn't let into a place run by a great friend and ex-employer b/c I had camo shorts on).

1913 Room requires a Dress Jacket to be worn.. I believe the Chop House is the same way.. Just because I want to enjoy a good steak doesn't mean I can show up in ripped jean shorts and a Nascar jacket.

Guess my point is dress codes are everywhere downtown, don't write off the BOB as a great (and fun) establishment just because you didn't meet their rules.

(I have no affiliation with the BOB or Crush)

Edited by PBJ

I did check the dress code before I left home, I just happened to miss that one small thing.

Well yeah.. that sucks... doesn't make them the pompus assholes though :thumbsup:

While you're at home... I recommend poppin open iTunes.. and downloading the "Radio 538: Dance Department" and "The Perfect Mix" Podcasts.. great music.. free.. plenty of hours of enjoyment. Not live at the BOB but still good.

All I can say is that it's the BOB, not exactly Club Laissez Faire.

You could turn this into a positive, why not start a music club downtown?

Club Slater: Not a dress club, just The Music. KIAS.

Edited by Rizzo

Yeah I'll just use my college income to buy myself a place downtown to do that...

Seriously, I would do that, too. I'd probably use the Harris on S Division... put it in that domed ballroom I heard is inside there. But that's just like everybody else saying "If I had a million dollars..."

I dunno. I can understand dress codes, it just seems that being completely non-leniant on something as silly as shoes is.. well, silly. It's not like I looked like a slob or anything. It'd just be nice if there was a little more balance between regulation and core purpose.

The American financial institution believes in profitable dreams... Nowadays personal income and finances aren't a hold back for realizing dreams. Besides you don't have to buy a place. It appears you already have put some thought in it.

Edited by Rizzo

I dunno. I can understand dress codes, it just seems that being completely non-leniant on something as silly as shoes is.. well, silly. It's not like I looked like a slob or anything. It'd just be nice if there was a little more balance between regulation and core purpose.

Well if it's any consolation to you.. I stopped to check it out.. Mixin Marc wasn't slated to go on till 1 or 1:15 (I didn't stick around).. so he was spinnin a 30 minute set at the most. The rest of the night was top 40/occasional dance track.

It's exactly the reason i refuse to go into Montes. You can get in wearing a $2 pair of flip flops from Old Navy but can't get in wearing a $200 pair of tennis shoes. And i'm sorry but Monte's has NOTHING to offer that i can't get any where else.

It's exactly the reason i refuse to go into Montes. You can get in wearing a $2 pair of flip flops from Old Navy but can't get in wearing a $200 pair of tennis shoes. And i'm sorry but Monte's has NOTHING to offer that i can't get any where else.

Yeah, when is that "flip flops with jeans" look going to pass?

I guarantee if you opened a techno club with no dress code, it'd be shut down in a couple of months due to gangs and fights.

Oops, I meant I didn't like it on those other guys. :whistling:

Don't you get hot wearing jeans in the Summer? Or does the flip-flop ventilation compensate?

Hey.. I wear jeans and flops!!! Look darn good doin it too :silly: I better not be one of those other guys! :tough: