The Watering Hole

Just an FYI - there's an excellent summer documentary series on NPR. It's every Tuesday @ 9:00 p.m. - FM station 104.1. This week seems rather fitting to the UP forum.

Tuesday July 3: The Environment Report - Sprawling of America

There's lots to like about living in the suburbs. But the suburbs lead to sprawling strip malls, traffic jams, and the loss of farmland and wildlife habitat. The documentary Sprawling of America from The Environment Report looks at the tax dollars that subsidize the suburbs, the racism that underlies sprawl, and the ideas that try to find a balance between pursuing the good life in the 'burbs, redeveloping abandoned city centers, and preserving nature.

And if you aren't able to catch it then, they'll post it on their website to download afterwards. http://www.michiganradio.org/summer_docs.html - which are all worth listening to.

What is the name of the development company on Ionia across the street from the park... and do they have a website?

As for the meet up, what day of the week works best for people? For me, I am available most nights after 7, and would like to meet at a place in downtown that serves beer.

edit.. I hate it when a "r' moves on me :-)

Edited by michaelskis

What is the name of the development company on Ionia across the street from the park... and do they have a website?

As for the meet up, what day of the week works best for people? For me, I am available most nights after 7, and would like to meet at a place in downtown that severs beer.

I guess since I'm not a drinker, I'm not familiar with the "severing" of beer. Do they cut the cans in half or something? :lol:

I guess since I'm not a drinker, I'm not familiar with the "severing" of beer. Do they cut the cans in half or something? :lol:

:rofl: I know it's off topic but, since my car is dead for the second time in two weeks and I'm spittin' mad, that was soooooo good! I was in dire need of a laugh and you came through with flying colors. It is so funny that a person's tone can come through in print

Edited by pr sc

Mebbe that's 3.2 beer.

[can't believe I remember that]

When I was in Denver recently I took a tour of the Coors Brewery in Golden. Cool tour if you ever get the chance. The tour guide specifically warned us in Colorado to buy Coors from a liquor store. The Coors that was sold in grocery stores and convenience marts was 3-2 beer. The liquor store stuff had more alcohol.

Funny find at a Tar-zhay:

"Mall Tycoon" software game.

"This tycoon game will challenge you to establish and maintain your own shopping mall...build and manage a successful retail mall, customizing its layout, themes, types of stores, and more." You can also test specials, marketing strategies, add celeb mystery shoppers (the box showed a guy with sideburns in a sequin jumpsuit), deal with difficult customers (gangs of teens) and more.

(No, I didn't buy it.)

Funny find at a Tar-zhay:

"Mall Tycoon" software game.

"This tycoon game will challenge you to establish and maintain your own shopping mall...build and manage a successful retail mall, customizing its layout, themes, types of stores, and more." You can also test specials, marketing strategies, add celeb mystery shoppers (the box showed a guy with sideburns in a sequin jumpsuit), deal with difficult customers (gangs of teens) and more.

(No, I didn't buy it.)

Maybe someone should make the Downtown GR retail tycoon video game. We could all try our ideas and see what works! =)

Me too. Kept checking, and checking... (neo, can you do that on a long weekend next time??)

Oh yeah...make me work on a weekend? :P This weekend is my anniversary anyways...I'm sure my wife would have loved me doing this then, haha.

Does anyone know what was up with the group of photographers near Division and Monroe Center? There were about 8-10 of them; outside of Cafe Solace, it looked like they were chatting it up with a bunch of young twentysomething ladies on a bar crawl. They had cameras with huuuuuge lenses. :) We were snooping, and I'm so curious!

On a related note (well, photo-related, at the very least), does anyone have opinions on great, affordable GR-centered black and white photos? We're trying to decorate our loft, so we need high-quality framed prints, but, of course, are on a budget. We're taking out the 35mm and medium format cameras in the next few weeks to try to capture our own images; however, if you know of any local, affordable photogs who have GR material, please let me know!!!

Now, although I am no Oppenheimer or Fermi (sorry Einstein), I would consider myself fairly intelligent, maybe even slightly above average. Whoever edits the backdrop storylines for WOOD TV 8 are not so much on the intelligent side. You see, it would seem that one must have a strong grasp of the English language and how to correctly spell the words of it, but I have noticed numerous times that words are misspelled as clear as day and they run it on the news. The latest came tonight with the story of the Indiana suits that ok'd the dumping of toxic waste into Lake Michigan for the benefit of a petroleum outfit... they spelled pollute 'polute'. C'mon, guys!!! No spell check on that system???

BTW, slightly above average intelligence means I can beat those damn 5th graders about half the time.

If it's alright with everyone, I thought we should start our own "off topic" thread to give people a chance just to sound off about anything. Since "Coffee House" has already been taken, I gave ours a different name. Time for some of you lurkers to post something :thumbsup:

I saw about a dozen groups of students walking around downtown being led by "tour guides" today. Any ideas? Maybe freshman orientation for one of the colleges?

Anyone still seeing these tours downtown?