The Watering Hole

Anyone still seeing these tours downtown?

I notice a number of different "tour" groups around downtown, or what look like GVSU or Kendall classes. Something that I've seen several times are groups of school children (maybe middle schoolers) broken up into groups with one or two parents, and they appear to be on a "History Scavenger Hunt" through downtown.

Welcome to the forum SD!

... this from the "interested" owners of BW's

Does this mean they are interested in: 1) Benton's location, or 2) the general area, or 3) something else I'm not picking up on? :) If you have any clout, Sean (it seems like you know or work with the BW3 people), put in a good work for the 'Drink' Building!

Last winter, if I remember correctly, one of the owner's passed away. I wonder if this has something to do with it. Either way, that stinks!

ya. i thoroughly enjoyed Louis Benton (the one time I went there, it is CRAZY expensive) but if it wasnt attracting enough people to stay open then maybe something that does bring in more people will.

ya. i thoroughly enjoyed Louis Benton (the one time I went there, it is CRAZY expensive) but if it wasnt attracting enough people to stay open then maybe something that does bring in more people will.

True, but there are vacant buildings for that "something else." I never like hearing about local businesses going down--especially with good steak.

I'll be honest, I've never been to Louis Benton because I perceive it to be an upscale, special occasion place. However, I have seen ads for a jazz trio or cover band of sorts that performs there. If it is a jazz trio (the cover band being a bit too cheesy for my own personal tastes), they should play it up and advertise a cool Happy Hour. I'm thinking they could give specials to groups like the Grand Rapids Young Professionals, the Young Lawyers' Society, RMA, or other young professional organizations in the area that regularly have happy hour social events (and a membership that drinks martinis!). That would familarize those groups' membership with the menu and the restaurant, thus making it more accessible to potential new customers.

:) Then again, if they're already going under, it's a bit too late for that, eh?

Last winter, if I remember correctly, one of the owner's passed away. I wonder if this has something to do with it. Either way, that stinks!

I think it's the same family affiliated with the Sierra Room. Maybe they just lost the passion to keep the restaurant businesses going, especially with a tough Michigan economy for anything "upscale". :dontknow:

I think it's the same family affiliated with the Sierra Room. Maybe they just lost the passion to keep the restaurant businesses going, especially with a tough Michigan economy for anything "upscale". :dontknow:

The Louis Benton owner who passed away was an original co-founder of Sierra Room. She eventually left SR...started LB...but was not a relative of the Gil family who continued to operate Sierra Room.

Anyone see on WoodTV.com that a local family found a lifesaver on Lake Superior? They don't reveal what they found, but obviously its a lifesaver. :huh: Is it me or is it from the Fitzgerald? If its authentic it's an increadible find considering the conditions of the lake and how long the ship has been lost.

Edited by Rizzo