The Watering Hole

Can't help you with the hunting...but if you may find some useful pasty info here. You can order pasties to be delivered via FedEX! My mom (a Finn from Marquette) makes the best pasties, so we rarely buy them. All I know is watch out for the places who put broccoli in them - not authentic!

Thanks Fish! By the way, Tuesdays are Pasty Days at Marie Catribs...they have vegetarian ones too! Marie had a restaurant in the UP when her son went to school up there, and apparently Tuesday was Pasty day in the cafeteria.

Thanks for the reminder about Marie's pasties. I don't think I've ever had hers - but since her place was in Houghton, she's got pasty-street cred! Maybe for dinner tomorrow!

Thanks Fish! By the way, Tuesdays are Pasty Days at Marie Catribs...they have vegetarian ones too! Marie had a restaurant in the UP when her son went to school up there, and apparently Tuesday was Pasty day in the cafeteria.

Anyone know any good salmon recipes? Normally if I can get it fresh I grill it with just salt and pepper and butter. If it isn't so fresh I barbecue it with Sweet Baby Rays. Both ways are good but it would be nice to try something different though.

I like this sauce with Lake Superior white fish, but it should work fine with salmon too...

2T melted butter

4T mayonaise

Juice and zest from one lemon

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan

2T chopped fresh herb (I like dill, but parsley or maybe even mint would work)

Dash of cayene pepper

Salt and pepper

Stir them all together and bake over fish (10-15 minutes at 425)

It works even better if you bake the fish over a layer of sorta mashed up potatoes and leeks (or some mild onion). The potatoes soak up all the juices nicely. You could really gussy it up by topping with some capers, fresh chopped herbs, and lemon wedges too.

I like this sauce with Lake Superior white fish, but it should work fine with salmon too...

2T melted butter

4T mayonaise

Juice and zest from one lemon

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan

2T chopped fresh herb (I like dill, but parsley or maybe even mint would work)

Dash of cayene pepper

Salt and pepper

Stir them all together and bake over fish (10-15 minutes at 425)

It works even better if you bake the fish over a layer of sorta mashed up potatoes and leeks (or some mild onion). The potatoes soak up all the juices nicely. You could really gussy it up by topping with some capers, fresh chopped herbs, and lemon wedges too.

Wow, sounds fancy. I'll have to give it a shot.

Can someone explain to me the differences between low-, medium-, and high-density residential development? I'm guessing that it's the difference between big "rural"-type plots versus subdivisions vs apartments?

I think it varies depending on what municipality, but I believe low density usually means single family homes on individual lots (1 - 4.9 dwellings per acre per GR Master Plan), medium density means townhouses, duplexes, triplexes (5.5 - 14.9 units per acre); and high-density would be apartment style developments (14 to 40 units+ per acre).

I think it varies depending on what municipality, but I believe low density usually means single family homes on individual lots (1 - 4.9 dwellings per acre per GR Master Plan), medium density means townhouses, duplexes, triplexes (5.5 - 14.9 units per acre); and high-density would be apartment style developments (14 to 40 units+ per acre).

Yes, it varies greatly depending on the location. In rural areas, 1 or 2 homes per acre is "high density". In more suburban areas, high density is usually more along the lines of 6-10 homes (or "units") per acre.

That was fun...in short order I "earned" 4000 kernels of rice and ended up at 42.

All that reading has paid off! Good question, though - how many much rice equals a meal?

I have no idea, a couple thousand sounds about right. I got pretty far with educated guesses and then averaged out to 40 to 42.

Edited by GR Jackson