The Watering Hole

This is a pretty nice racket:

deedscam.jpg

Clearly someone has no idea of how much I enjoy going DT. A certified copy from Favorite County is about $12, and I could enjoy a really nice lunch off the rest. (Not to mention a thrift shop run, some bookstore purchase, and heck, I'd have enough left over for dinner!)

[was born in the morning, but it wasn't this morning]

deedscam.jpg

Clearly someone has no idea of how much I enjoy going DT. A certified copy from Favorite County is about $12, and I could enjoy a really nice lunch off the rest. (Not to mention a thrift shop run, some bookstore purchase, and heck, I'd have enough left over for dinner!)

[was born in the morning, but it wasn't this morning]

Geez...

You can get a copy on accesskent even cheaper too!

Help!!! I am looking for pottery, painting, or some kind of art classes as a gift for my gf (something fun please as I will go with her)(and preferably pottery) please send me a message if you have any ideas. thx

You could try the UICA. I know they offer classes in some of those things.

Help!!! I am looking for pottery, painting, or some kind of art classes as a gift for my gf (something fun please as I will go with her)(and preferably pottery) please send me a message if you have any ideas. thx

If you check out UICA, you might want to give them a call. It seems like the schedule on their website (uica.org) doesn't include everything that was on the sheet I picked up at the Holiday Art Sale.

Also, check out the Grandville Avenue Academy for the Arts: http://www.gaah.org/arts/programs/index.htm

It looks like they have adult pottery classes.

GRPS also has community education: http://web.grps.k12.mi.us/adulted/classes/arts_crafts/

It doesn't look like the winter schedule is up, but if you called they might be able to help you out.

This is beyond off-topic - but I'm a huge Tom Petty fan and I love Stevie Nicks too - I ran across this video from a recent performance in 2006 - love this song and wanted to share it :thumbsup:

I wish those two would have come to VanAndel together

Edited by blueradon

Is anyone else having problems with REGIS' IMS parcel finder service? The picture doesn't load on either of my computers.

Were you using FireFox? I have this problem all the time both with IMS and the GRCity system. What helps on my end is to ask the server to do something else such as pan. Double clicking a button seems to kick start the service when the images don't show up. :lol:

Edited by Rizzo

Were you using FireFox? I have this problem all the time both with IMS and the GRCity system. What helps on my end is to ask the server to do something else such as pan. Double clicking a button seems to kick start the service when the images don't show up. :lol:

No, it doesn't work in IE either. Actually, IE gives me a little error triangle icon on the bottom left.

deedscam.jpg

After we bought the house here we started getting offers for mortgage insurance. They were coming at the rate of two or three a week, all quoting information from public records. They started getting clever, too - putting 'em on pink paper with verbage like "Urgent: Response Required" and such.

Thinking folks might be falling for it, I stuffed about two dozen of 'em in an envelope with a nice letter to Mike Cox in Lansing asking why there's a "do not call" list for telemarketing, but buying a house opens you up to this?

Nothing ever came back from Lansing, but last week I got a letter from one of the bigger offenders letting me know that I'd been removed from the list... for now. Any change in the mortgage (refinance) starts the process all over again.

Has anyone played around on the new public GRAR site? I'm interested to know how easy the new system is to navigate. The old site went down this afternoon.

Doesn't look any different than it has for months on my computer...

City of Orlando announces new arena plans. A few quotes from the USA Today article:

"On nights when the Orlando Magic are playing in the new events center by 2010, a

glass enclosed 116-foot tower at the northeast corner of the facility will be aglow in

blue light."

Sounds vaguely like a certain downtown GR hotel.

"Also, the events center will be one of the first green, LEEDS-certified arenas in the

country, Martins said."

For that, I applaud their efforts.

" The facility that will house the Magic, the Orlando Predators of the Arena Football

League and be home to major concerts, NCAA tourneys and potentially political

conventions..."

Finally a place for the Green Party to call home.

Video and pics here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,1526760.story

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody needs to tell teachers in GR about this website. The company I work for does business with Google and this year we got a bunch of $100 Donor's Choose gift cards. I tried every possible combination in the world and couldn't find anyone from the GR area. Free money, and I couldn't give it to my favorite town. The closest I could get was Carson City and Kalamazoo. :(

Joe

Ravel's "Bolero", conducted by Andre Rieu. A brilliant classic.

Be forewarned. You might have this song ringing in your head for days if you watch this. :)

BTW: Anyone else think that's Van Andel Arena in that video? (pay close attention to the ending)

I love the Blast! version of it. It's the first piece in the show and doesn't really get the guard involved much though. You can actually watch most of the show illegally on youtube it looks like. I highly recommend Marimba Spiritual, Officer Krupke (from Westside Story), and Color Wheel. But, of course, youtube doesn't do it justice and you have to get the DVD.

Also, the finale, Malaguena, is my favorite and one of my favorite pieces of music ever. The Stan Kenton recording is AMAZING!

They are going to be at Forest Hills Fine Arts center (albeit with a smaller cast than in the videos) on January 30th. I had been putting off buying my tickets as I wanted to go in person to avoid the nearly $9 in ticketmaster fees. I finally ordered them today and they only had single seats left available. :/ I've only seen it three times already. :) And I'm contemplating asking for tickets to the show in South Bend in March for my birthday. hehe. It's great. You should all see it.

Edited by fotoman311

To try to be more positive after a year of losses. I think if I put more effort into helping others, that would be a very positive step in the right direction!

And, UP-GR sure is wonderful. Always very interesting and I love when I get a chuckle out of some posts. And the pictures - what can I say? You all are so talented. I can't believe I just happened on UP by accident.

Cottage Living subscription, anyone?

Santa brought me a single copy, which was duly displayed at my Charlie Brown Xmas the other day. (The point is: moi am not either hard to shop for.)

I decided to pre-empt the indecision-makers and subscribe. They have not a two-fer, but a three-fer!

Anyone buying single copies and thinking about it? No strings with this gift sub, just a nice magazine that often runs features on density and planning and so forth.