The Watering Hole

I love the Blast! version of it.

They are going to be at Forest Hills Fine Arts center (albeit with a smaller cast than in the videos) on January 30th. I had been putting off buying my tickets as I wanted to go in person to avoid the nearly $9 in ticketmaster fees. I finally ordered them today and they only had single seats left available. :/ I've only seen it three times already. :) And I'm contemplating asking for tickets to the show in South Bend in March for my birthday. hehe. It's great. You should all see it.

Edit: Also, I don't think it's Van Andel. I checked out the virtual tour on their website (http://vanandelarena.com/vtours/vanandelareana.htm) and it doesn't look like they have aisles parallel to the main floor that go all the way down like the ones at the end of the video. It's definitely a similar size place though.

Thanks fotoman! I had forgotten about the Blast show coming up.

Anyone know when the GRPD has its bike sale - Veloise? I need to replace my stolen one.

Last Saturday in April.

I've seen some decent rides listed on Craigs List (why do I even bother looking at those??? Too many bikes already!)

PM me to talk about my several niece cast-offs...adult 26" wheel ATBs, girly colors, "ladies" frame styles.

Edited by Veloise

Anybody know where I can drop off/recycle my Christmas tree? Preferably on the SE side so I don't have to drive all over with it on the top of the Cavalier.

Riverside Park (north entrance) and someplace else...you might also be able to buy it a tag and it will go away.

OH! The woodchip salvage yard out on Butterworth!

Any New Year's resolutions?

These were posted to Cyburbia by a city planner (location unknown...not me!)

WARNING: put the coffee down first!

[spaces added to allow time to do that]

1. Cut my intensity level down.

2. Be more accomodating

3. Stop beating the wife and children

4. Cut my heroin habit into half

5. Be nicer to my parole officer as he is only doing his job.

6. Swear to only try crack a few dozen times this year.

7. Do not commit anymore felonies

8. Give drinking more of a chance.

9. Sell only one body part this year, should be easy since I am cutting back on the reasons.

10. Completely cut out the breakfast bongs.

Anybody know where I can drop off/recycle my Christmas tree? Preferably on the SE side so I don't have to drive all over with it on the top of the Cavalier.

Simple.

Go to www.accesskent.com, type "Christmas tree" into the search box.

The first link is this: http://www.accesskent.com/YourGovernment/P...stmas_Trees.htm

Isn't the internet wonderful? Hope this helps.

I didn't think it warranted a new top discussion, but has anyone heard or know about Stockbridge Pub? I just got a call from a friend saying that they were closed today and one of the partners in a neighboring bar had been "freaking out" about the Stockbridge Pub owners.

I didn't think it warranted a new top discussion, but has anyone heard or know about Stockbridge Pub? I just got a call from a friend saying that they were closed today and one of the partners in a neighboring bar had been "freaking out" about the Stockbridge Pub owners.

I heard rumors of bankruptcy a few months ago, but I assumed they were only rumors when nothing else came of it...I hope not, I like that place.

You're famous!! Now I get it--Drop the H and add a V to eloise.

While we're on the topic of GR Press articles, here's another great one from today:

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/01/gran...ily_answer.html

This police officer moved his family from Hudsonville into the Black Hills neighborhood with the goal of making it a better community. GREAT! I wish more people did this. I wonder if he moved his children to GRPS too...

What a very nice article! I love the personalized tin idea - how neat. I think I may use that for Dad's birthday coming up. The folks have told us they don't need 'things' anymore. ;)

Google up "memory jar." (It just dawned on me that I might have started this in response to me mum saying "don't get me anything larger than my hand or that won't get used up.")

Left on the cutting room floor: my tin was purchased at Big Lots for less than a buck, I got one for each sib and the 'rents, and the slips were printed on different colors of paper (each sib's respective favorite) at Kinko. Also, the many comments about sis' birthday/holiday shopping for me. "Here's your Meijer gift card," quelle surprise! Manifestly, I do not hate the place...just sick of being handed a g-d gift card "because you're hard to shop for and I'm soooo busy."

Jennifer is bright red over my rode bike which I road to the Y.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Mardi Gras, given the publication date...

You're famous!! Now I get it--Drop the H and add a V to eloise.

While we're on the topic of GR Press articles, here's another great one from today:

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/01/gran...ily_answer.html

This police officer moved his family from Hudsonville into the Black Hills neighborhood with the goal of making it a better community. GREAT! I wish more people did this. I wonder if he moved his children to GRPS too...

Since the Watering Hole is on topic of bicycles via Karen and the Black Hills neighborhood, I discovered another project spearheaded by Dorchester House and United in Christ Ministries. The Motion Initiative looks like a really cool little startup project that will be housed inside the community center mentioned in the above article. http://www.mibike.org/main/about.html I've thought for awhile that Grand Rapids could use a project like this. I'd love to have a few more of them in other neighborhoods.

Edited by fotoman311

Since the Watering Hole is on topic of bicycles via Karen and the Black Hills neighborhood, I discovered another project spearheaded by Dorchester House and United in Christ Ministries. The Motion Initiative looks like a really cool little startup project that will be housed inside the community center mentioned in the above article. http://www.mibike.org/main/about.html I've thought for awhile that Grand Rapids could use a project like this. I'd love to have a few more of them in other neighborhoods.

Black Hills was our first Elves & More bicycle give-away site, 2005. (You were still in Nebraska (??).)

Black Hills was our first Elves & More bicycle give-away site, 2005. (You were still in Nebraska (??).)

Actually, that was the one year Amy and I participated in the build. We got there at noon or 12:30 on build day in 2006 and they were already done and finishing up, then we weren't available this year.

Amy and I went and helped with the bike rodeo they had in the Black Hill the next June. It wasn't terribly well put together. We stopped there on our bikes while riding to Festival from Grandville.

I arrived in GR in December '04 from Urbana-Champaign, IL where I went to school.

I'm sure they'll see some of those bikes once they open their shop.

GrandLAN in the Keeler Building (down Division from the Meijer Majestic/Civic Theatre) now has a well-maintained (a rarity) arcade machine featuring the dance-game, Pump It Up. Similar to DDR/Dance Dance Revolution, but has 5 buttons and pioneered the concept before Konami did.

If any of you are looking for a fun way to get active and in-shape without going outdoors, it's worth a try. It's most popular amoung Middle School to College kids.

Yes, the whole thing seems so bizarre. What happens if "Uncommitted" gets more votes than the other candidates? Then what?

The democratic primary is representative, rather than winner-take-all. Any candidate garnering more than 15% of the vote gets proportional delegates. The 'Uncommitted' delegates are sent to the national convention without a set nominee and can vote for whomever they (or the State party that chose them) choose.

Disenfranchising? Somewhat.

Then, the national party is still threatening not to recognize any of Michigan's delegates.

Bigger problem, the state parties get voter information for everyone who votes in their primary this year. That means more personalized robo-calls and campaign literature.

Edited by Avocado

Bigger problem, the state parties get voter information for everyone who votes in their primary this year. That means more personalized robo-calls and campaign literature.

Wait, what? I didn't see that anywhere when I was filling out information today.

What if I'm on the National Do Not Call List? :P

Oh well - apparently my choice only garnered about 6% of the Michigan Republican vote.

So I was at Mezze yesterday and looking out the window I noticed a maroon pickup and several police cars in the huge empty lot just off division. They were there for over 2 hours and just as I was getting ready to leave I saw a large blue van and several people putting what seemed like a body onto a gurney and into the van. Does anyone have any idea what happened? The pickup didn't seem to have any visible damage. Maybe the driver had a heart attack while driving? I can't find anything in the press about it. Just kind of an eerie thing to see without knowing what happened.

Thoughts are with the family if anyone here knew or was related to the person.