The Watering Hole

Is the economy really as bad as NPR has been constantly talking about for the last week or so? I had thought we would have a little upswing soon, at least in West Michigan.

Nationally, the indicators are looking rather bleak. The Fed is gearing up for another interest rate cut, but that won't help much with an already rising inflation rate.

One reason it might be in the news is a number of milestones that make for good discussion ($100/Barrel Oil, lowest number of new houses built in a generation...).

Nationally, the indicators are looking rather bleak. The Fed is gearing up for another interest rate cut, but that won't help much with an already rising inflation rate.

One reason it might be in the news is a number of milestones that make for good discussion ($100/Barrel Oil, lowest number of new houses built in a generation...).

Also, the Michigan primary got the candidates talking about the economy, which means more economic coverage.

The last two times I turned on NPR, they were talking about UFO sightings in Texas, anyone got an explanation for those?

The democratic primary is representative, rather than winner-take-all. Any candidate garnering more than 15% of the vote gets proportional delegates. The 'Uncommitted' delegates are sent to the national convention without a set nominee and can vote for whomever they (or the State party that chose them) choose.

Disenfranchising? Somewhat.

Then, the national party is still threatening not to recognize any of Michigan's delegates.

Bigger problem, the state parties get voter information for everyone who votes in their primary this year. That means more personalized robo-calls and campaign literature.

Is this a one time thing? In 2012 will the National Democratic Party still be in a hiffy over Michigan's moved-up date or will it be back to business as usual for Michigan with the earlier primary?

Is this a one time thing? In 2012 will the National Democratic Party still be in a hiffy over Michigan's moved-up date or will it be back to business as usual for Michigan with the earlier primary?

No promises, but this was probably one time only. Based on all the states trying to leap-frog one another this year, it's a problem that will have to be addressed nationally. Either we'll go back to a system similar to that of the recent past, or possibly switch to a national or rotating regional primary. Either way, all candidates should be on the next preseidential ballot.

And I believe the ACLU has filed a complaint to keep the state parties from using the voter information gathered during this years primary.

I think we're out of the loop nationally because Michigan has been its own economic bubble for so long, with West Michigan being even more of its own bubble. Michigan never really came out of the last recession so things seem to be more of the same here.

When I see all of the cranes downtown I find it a little hard to believe that the economy in Grand Rapids really all that terrible. There is a lot of investment going on.

The last two times I turned on NPR, they were talking about UFO sightings in Texas, anyone got an explanation for those?

Something is going on in the skies over Texas.

Two weeks ago, residents of Stevensville reported seeing an object 'bigger than a Wal-Mart' hovering over the community before racing off into the distance followed by two fighter jets. At the time the Air Force denied having any planes in the area, now they report having several planes on a training mission in the area, but state that

FYI Students:

On December 20, President Bush signed into law legislation (P.L. 110-142) that addresses the subprime mortgage crisis by making temporary changes to the tax code. The measure also includes a provision permitting households headed by full-time students to be eligible to reside in LIHTC units.

This means students can now live in Metropolitan Park, The Globe or Uptown as long as they meet income restrictions.

FYI Students:

On December 20, President Bush signed into law legislation (P.L. 110-142) that addresses the subprime mortgage crisis by making temporary changes to the tax code. The measure also includes a provision permitting households headed by full-time students to be eligible to reside in LIHTC units.

This means students can now live in Metropolitan Park, The Globe or Uptown as long as they meet income restrictions.

woot!!!! I was worried I would have to leave metropark because im becoming a full-time student, but no mas! :yahoo:

according to both the globe and metropark, the rules havent changed as of yet

I looked into this a bit further. Looks like the information that I got was a little misleading. Full time students that have children are eligible.

SEC. 6. CLARIFICATION OF STUDENT HOUSING ELIGIBLE FOR LOW-INCOME HOUSING CREDIT.

(a) In General- Subclause (I) of section 42(i)(3)(D)(ii) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to certain students not to disqualify unit) is amended to read as follows:

`(I) single parents and their children and such parents are not dependents (as defined in section 152, determined without regard to subsections (b)(1), (b)(2), and (d)(1)(B) thereof) of another individual and such children are not dependents (as so defined) of another individual other than a parent of such children, or.'.

(b) Effective Date- The amendment made by this section shall apply to--

(1) housing credit amounts allocated before, on, or after the date of the enactment of this Act, and

(2) buildings placed in service before, on, or after such date to the extent paragraph (1) of section 42(h) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 does not apply to any building by reason of paragraph (4) thereof.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.3648.ENR:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For you beer lovers.

Martha's Vineyard got a special shipment of Krait Prestige, a Polish lager that's fermented a second time in Belgium so they can label it Made in Belgium. It's a somewhat unique bottle fermented lager.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/beer/beer-...&SortedBy=1

While not a truly fantastic beer, at the deep discount price of $20 a case for 6 750ml bottles, it's a pretty good deal. Better hurry though. The guy who rung me up said he didn't think it would last past tomorrow.