The Watering Hole

bd's Mongolian Grill Acquired by New Owners with Aggressive Growth Plans

I hadn't seen this posted and didn't know they sold out until looking to see if there was a location nearby. Its sad to see a Michigan owned company sell out to out of state investors. Hopefully the HQ stays in Ferndale? Maybe this will increase the likelyhood of getting a restaurant out here in WA.

The person who claimed our FREE! Kiss of the Spider Woman vouchers never picked them up.

If anyone wants them for tonight, the last night, please email me at fotoman311 (AT) yahoo.com and we can try to make arrangements for you to pick them up. Hopefully they are not sold out.

The show starts at 8pm.

Edited by fotoman311

I've looked forward to Festival each summer because it falls on my birthday and all the delicious food. I'm sure we all have one vendor that we look forward to trying again each summer. Not to mention, downtown during Festival is perhaps one of the best times to people watch. If you're downtown frequently, it's refreshing to come out, much like the Fifth Third Riverbank Run, when it's unrelated to work or a night on the town.

My question is, has anyone seen the Festival of the Arts poster for 08? http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/gran...l_of_the_a.html

I surprised it hasn't been commented on, but I think it's heavily influenced by the work of Andy Warhol and should be noted as such. Had this poster been selected in previous years, or even a few years from now, I wouldn't feel this strongly about it. However, since the GRAM just featured works by him, I feel that the use of this poster design, and its promotion for Festival, makes me a little uncomfortable as it does represent our city on a national level. I'm not sure if it still is, but wasn't Festival the largest all volunteer festival in the country?

I've looked forward to Festival each summer because it falls on my birthday and all the delicious food. I'm sure we all have one vendor that we look forward to trying again each summer. Not to mention, downtown during Festival is perhaps one of the best times to people watch. If you're downtown frequently, it's refreshing to come out, much like the Fifth Third Riverbank Run, when it's unrelated to work or a night on the town.

My question is, has anyone seen the Festival of the Arts poster for 08? http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/gran...l_of_the_a.html

I surprised it hasn't been commented on, but I think it's heavily influenced by the work of Andy Warhol and should be noted as such. Had this poster been selected in previous years, or even a few years from now, I wouldn't feel this strongly about it. However, since the GRAM just featured works by him, I feel that the use of this poster design, and its promotion for Festival, makes me a little uncomfortable as it does represent our city on a national level. I'm not sure if it still is, but wasn't Festival the largest all volunteer festival in the country?

I thought the same thing, that it was heavily influenced by the Warhol exhibit. But I was surprised to read that you think it's a bad thing. Since the Art Museum is always an integral part of Festival, doesn't it tie in nicely with the two separate but complimentary events? Or do you think it's TOO close in resemblance to Warhol (ripoff even?). I could see that in a way.

I stumbled across the Festival website yesterday. Yup, the poster is infromed by Andy Warhol. And this morning I noticed that my bathroom shower curtains look similar (checked backgrounds, color shifting, duplicative imagery). Needless to say I like the look.

Not sure how this could be percieved as a Bad Thing. It's not like Campbell's Calder Soup.

Can't wait for the T-shirt.

Oh, I love the poster and that's why I have conflicted feelings. Maybe the artist wasn't influenced by Warhol's work, although you can make the argument that much of what we see in print each day has influences from Warhol, as well as other artist's, work. If someone came out and said the poster is a tribute or nod to his work and his recent stop to the GRAM I'd feel differently.

Perhaps these feelings are because of a book I just started, Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell. Coincidentally, the intro to this book tells a story of a kouros statue a museum had been offered for purchase. The museum did its due diligence of authenticity of the statue piece that appeared almost too perfect. The first impressions by numerous noted art historians was something seemed a little off (like it was a forgery); morever, the paperwork for the piece was inaccurate and marble analysis showed it to be from different region as other pieces of that era. All the these things were overlooked because the museum curator wanted to believe it was the real deal. (this synapses in a nutshell of course).

So my first impression was it's copy of Warhol's work. Or put it this way, if Warhol were still alive, could it be confused for a commissioned piece for the city?

Edited by plee30

Oh, I love the poster and that's why I have conflicted feelings. Maybe the artist wasn't influenced by Warhol's work, although you can make the argument that much of what we see in print each day has influences from Warhol, as well as other artist's, work. If someone came out and said the poster is a tribute or nod to his work and his recent stop to the GRAM I'd feel differently.

So my first impression was it's copy of Warhol's work. Or put it this way, if Warhol were still alive, could it be confused for a commissioned piece for the city?

Yes. But presumably the Warhol estate has no issue with current works being informed by their guy. (It's not like the artist signed AW's name to it.) Festival posters usually have the GV (the big red thing) as a design element.

Here's the GRAM using AW's work as a promo for the exhibition:

ddaban-2.jpg

Where's the outrage at the artist ripping off Alexander Calder's work? :P:P

I really like the poster and I think borrowing from Andy Warhol's style when his art is featured at the museum is a pretty cool thing.

Perhaps these feelings are because of a book I just started, Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell. Coincidentally, the intro to this book tells a story of a kouros statue a museum had been offered for purchase. The museum did its due diligence of authenticity of the statue piece that appeared almost too perfect. The first impressions by numerous noted art historians was something seemed a little off (like it was a forgery); morever, the paperwork for the piece was inaccurate and marble analysis showed it to be from different region as other pieces of that era. All the these things were overlooked because the museum curator wanted to believe it was the real deal. (this synapses in a nutshell of course).

I see what you're saying plee. They should have at least given a "nod" to the Warhol exhibit going on (through June 16th I believe). At least in the Press article, there's no mention:

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/gran...l_of_the_a.html

But as is usually the case, I know one of the Festival organizers quoted in the article, so I hesitate to get out the pitchforks (personally). :) Maybe someone could contact the Festival organizer and drop a hint that giving a nod to Warhol would be in good form. Coming from me, it might seem weird.

It looks like the artist does this style quite a bit:

http://www.jonathanshuff.com/default3.asp

But as is usually the case, I know one of the Festival organizers quoted in the article, so I hesitate to get out the pitchforks (personally). :) Maybe someone could contact the Festival organizer and drop a hint that giving a nod to Warhol would be in good form. Coming from me, it might seem weird.

Two comments for this reply: one an observation/warning, the other, updates on pedicabbery.

VERY DEFENSIVE BIRD AT MUSEUM! I was biking along the riverfront and got attacked by a bird just south of the carousel. Didn't know birds could hiss, but I heard a strange hiss behind me, looked back and saw a frantic bird just a foot and a half away from my head. I freaked out and ran into the wall of the museum and got chased away towards the blue bridge by the thing. (Was ont the little connector between the riverwalk and the sidewalk that goes along the wall, thus me running into the wall.)

Now for pedicab updates. Doesn't look like there will be any operation beginning June 1st, there's another meeting with the city on Tuesday regarding seatbelts. Passengers will be required to wear seatbelts but what isn't clear is who gets fined if a passenger is caught not wearing one. Moreover, the city wants to charge each driver an $80 license fee which most of the drivers cannot afford, especially going into a risky business. These two issues are the current ones slowing down progress on this front. (Apparently the city has been doing this for a while, trying to throw in extra rules and change operation, otherwise we'd all be out there already.) Good news for Lansing, Elite Pedicabs will be operating there this weekend. (Funny, it only took Lansing a month to give the green light.) So if any of you will be in Lansing, be sure to keep an eye out and flag one down. =]

Kent County GOP headquarters broken into..

Thousands of "Republican for Obama" bumper stickers reportedly missing. More at 11:00.

What is the KCRC doing with "Republicans for Obama" bumper stickers anyway, sounds like it was an "inside job" (Meaning its probably a group of Republicans angry with the stickers in the KCRC offices)

on another topic:

This one is probably right up Veloise's alley, but does anyone know of a good bicycle shop on the NW side?

Edited by snoogit

What is the KCRC doing with "Republicans for Obama" bumper stickers anyway, sounds like it was an "inside job" (Meaning its probably a group of Republicans angry with the stickers in the KCRC offices)

on another topic:

This one is probably right up Veloise's alley, but does anyone know of a good bicycle shop on the NW side?

Your choices on the NW side are Freewheeler, Freewheeler, or Freewheeler. Hope you like Freewheeler. :) It's a fun shop on Leonard just west of Alpine, especially if you get the full tour of all 18 basement areas and 23 hidden hallways full of bicycles and parts.

I've been into at least 3 separate basement areas, all stuffed with wheels or tires or full bicycles. And I haven't even seen the storage area out back. There will nearly always be bicycle parts scattered across the counters being prepared for e-bay or something else. You can also get good deals on low to mid-end clipless pedals that were stripped from new bicycles that were parted out to be sold separately.

From my experience, they are the cheapest place to get consumable bicycle parts, like tubes, patches, spokes, tires, cables, and brake pads, etc.

There used to be another shop out at LMD and Wilson, but they closed 4 or 5 years ago.

www.freewheelerbikeshop.com - looks like they recently updated the look of their site. It still doesn't have much extra content, but at least it looks like it was made by someone who knew what they were doing now. :)

Edited by fotoman311

This one is probably right up Veloise's alley...

Your choices on the NW side are Freewheeler, Freewheeler, or Freewheeler. ...

There used to be another shop out at LMD and Wilson, but they closed 4 or 5 years ago. ...

Freewheeler is a great shop, particularly since they have been in the biz long enough to appreciate a vintage ride. The wrenches know what they are doing. (I have taken bikes to other shops, and had the kids break things trying to remove a freewheel, or argue with me about what size a component really is. Been using Park Tool's color-coded spoke wrenches for probably 35 years, so I know when I need a "green" one. Don't hand me a yellow one, sonny.)

Another feature: they don't evacuate the building at 5:59 pm and run like there's a chopper on fire overhead. Not too long ago I arrived just after 6. They beckoned me in. I made it worth their while.

I've never been through the full basement, as I have my own stash of needed items. No sense tempting fate.

The folks on the unusual bikes seen at Blues on the Mall are the FW "pedal posse." This year we'll be in black armbands due to change-ups at 34 Monroe Center.

HTH