The Watering Hole

Aackk! I checked out the slideshow, and well, that is just waaaaayyyy too Sci-Fi/Matrixy for me. The plus side is that finally we can get rid of those yucky farms that are really smelly near my McMansion, and instead put in brand new Condos and maybe even a corner shopping center with a Whole Foods store.

Although this might be a great idea for highly over-populated areas. :good:

24040045.JPG

Sign me up for a condo or office in a building like this any day of the week! Can you imagine taking a lunch break and meandering around those gardens or how great the views off you're balcony might be?

Density is a good thing regardless of population. Create more dense developments and the dependence on vehicles decreases.

Reminds me of Skyscraper designs by Ken Yeang:

2menara-mesiniaga.jpg

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/07/wo...en/source/3.htm

Edited by jbr12

Aackk! I checked out the slideshow, and well, that is just waaaaayyyy too Sci-Fi/Matrixy for me. The plus side is that finally we can get rid of those yucky farms that are really smelly near my McMansion, and instead put in brand new Condos and maybe even a corner shopping center with a Whole Foods store.

Although this might be a great idea for highly over-populated areas. :good:

Is this sarcasm or not?

yes, it was meant to be sarcasm...with the exception of that last sentence. I think this might be a good idea for areas where they have no farmland. But I can't stand all the sprawl moving into the country and then complaining about the smell of the cows, or needing to build every convenience right away. Just like I never understood the need to own an Hummer or an H2 when living in the city.

Some of the designs did look pretty cool though.

yes, it was meant to be sarcasm...with the exception of that last sentence. I think this might be a good idea for areas where they have no farmland. But I can't stand all the sprawl moving into the country and then complaining about the smell of the cows, or needing to build every convenience right away. Just like I never understood the need to own an Hummer or an H2 when living in the city.

Some of the designs did look pretty cool though.

Do you mean something like this? This photo was taken was was taken 7/9/08 on a low flight over and around Grand Rapids. From the picture and surrounding area, I don't see a single business that could service any of the residents. Some of the homeowners also lack sidewalks, not making for a truly walkable community.

Suburb.jpg">

Edited by plee30

Do you mean something like this? This photo was taken was was taken 7/9/08 on a low flight over and around Grand Rapids. From the picture and surrounding area, I don't see a single business that could service any of the residents. Some of the homeowners also lack sidewalks, not making for a truly walkable community.

Suburb.jpg">

It wasn't the residents who went without sidewalks in this development. It appears to only be in the one cul-de-sac (far left). And if it's the community I think it is, Kentwood probably didn't require sidewalks in cul-de-sacs at the time (might be still the case), so the developer didn't put them in.

It wasn't the residents who went without sidewalks in this development. It appears to only be in the one cul-de-sac (far left). And if it's the community I think it is, Kentwood probably didn't require sidewalks in cul-de-sacs at the time (might be still the case), so the developer didn't put them in.

If it's Kentwood, those must all be duplexes and apartments.

If it's Kentwood, those must all be duplexes and apartments.

Ha. No, it's actually single-family homes. I believe it's just East of Shaffer and 44th, which as plee said, is a long way from walking to any local retailers or amenities (all the way up the hill to Breton and 44th). But, at least Kentwood had the foresight to add sidewalks along most of the major streets like 44th (not 28th though).

I have a furniture-shopping question for all you design-minded UP'ers. A colleague told me about ReDeux, a discount furniture store in the area, but, unfortunately, it closed the week before I tried to go there. As I understood it, ReDeux sold lots of furniture that other stores wouldn't sell by virtue of the items being either discontinued or slightly irregular/damaged (I thought of it like a TJMaxx for furniture).

Do you know of any similar stores? I'm looking for a place to find affordable modern/stylish items, and would prefer not to have everything come from IKEA or the Art Van Clearance Center. All of you suggestions and comments are much appreciated, thanks! :)

I have a furniture-shopping question for all you design-minded UP'ers. A colleague told me about ReDeux, a discount furniture store in the area, but, unfortunately, it closed the week before I tried to go there. As I understood it, ReDeux sold lots of furniture that other stores wouldn't sell by virtue of the items being either discontinued or slightly irregular/damaged (I thought of it like a TJMaxx for furniture).

Do you know of any similar stores? I'm looking for a place to find affordable modern/stylish items, and would prefer not to have everything come from IKEA or the Art Van Clearance Center. All of you suggestions and comments are much appreciated, thanks! :)

I don't know how you feel about used stuff, or what they have there, but there is second time around.

If you're looking for modern/stylish furniture (reasonably priced) I would look at Stone's Throw / EQ3 on 1428 Plainfield Ave NE. And nowadays, everything is negotiable.

Edited by plee30

DT weekend evenings is simply amazing. I've been passing through lately and seen:

--crowds of people (all ages and styles) going to and from concerts

--huge bar crowds (dressed to impress)

--food vendors (last night there were two hot dog carts on opposite corners)

--street musicians

--pedicabs

--horse carriages

Someone told me about Holland's $10 street performer permit. I have not heard anything about a decisions here; would rather hang out a mile from home.