The Watering Hole

...and every store and cafe is closed. =p

Only places open that don't have alcohol is the Dog Pit and... well, that's it. Even in Lansing Jimmy John's is open to 3AM, so is a greek place.

Granted, there's not much traffic down Monroe Center. If there were more shops along Monroe...

As for food vendors, they're all over the place. Each one usually sticks to a general area. One at Mojo's and Flannagan's, one at Monte's, 2-3 at the B.O.B., 1-2 at Taps, sometimes one at Hopcat, and 1-2 at McFadden's.

...and every store and cafe is closed. =p

Only places open that don't have alcohol is the Dog Pit and... well, that's it. Even in Lansing Jimmy John's is open to 3AM, so is a greek place.

Lansing, though smaller than GR, happens to have 40,000 people who stay up 'til 4am living right nearby. GR, on the other hand, just got its first significant college buildings downtown in the last couple of years. Predictably, it looks like nightlife is growing, and also predictably, businesses are catching on. Ten years ago, you'd never have seen anyone selling pizza on the street in GR - it won't be long before the brick and mortar businesses figure it out too.

I'm hoping so. I've had several pedicab customers say they're from out of town and ask me where to get food late at night. I tell them there's hot dogs. They say they don't want hot dogs nor any street food, and I have to tell them "that's your only option."

I'm surprised subway isn't even open late.

DT BK is open 24 hours. What's Big Boy's schedule?

Grand Coney on Michigan St. is open 24/7. Weekends, after the bars have closed, are usually packed. As these bar patrons shuffle out, tired from stuffing their faces of questionable quality food and coming down from their vodka redbull highs, the next wave usually comes in...the bar employees.

This place would be my suggestion for sending any out of towners. Too bad there are no places like the Weiner Circle (Chicago) here.

Edited by plee30

DT BK's Lobby isn't open 24 hours, is it? It's just like any other BK, 24h drive-thru, closed lobby. Big Boy I'm not sure, but when I've gone by at 2:30 I don't remember seeing anyone there. Grand Coney is just another hot dog place, yes? That and it's outside of downtown, up a steep hill that people probably won't want to walk up (especially if they're wearing heels.) People unfamiliar with town aren't going to travel a few miles for food, most of them just hope the convenience store inside the hotel will still be open and probably go to bed foodless.

Anyone else stay up to watch the Men's Gymnastics? Too bad they couldn't stick it out for the Silver team medal, but they were awesome considering they were using two alternates. TV's been on all night. I love the Olympics in HD.

Michael Phelps is a superhuman monster. That is all. :)

We've had an NBC affiliate on almost round the clock at my house since they started. I fell asleep last night but the bronze is still impressive. The National Anthem was played so many times last night at the Water Cube! It was pretty amazing to watch Americans take 2 of 3 medals in 3 swimming events in a row!

Edited by jbr12

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a sign taking up somebody's entire balcony at the condos on the corner of 6th & Monroe. The sign read something along the lines of "I'm Fed Up with Ed DeVries" with a big frown face and a phone number. Was on the south side of the building facing the park. Was a well-made sign, looked professionally done. Very readable from a distance. Somebody must really be upset with him. Doesn't he own that condo project?

Saw a sign taking up somebody's entire balcony at the condos on the corner of 6th & Monroe. The sign read something along the lines of "I'm Fed Up with Ed DeVries" with a big frown face and a phone number. Was on the south side of the building facing the park. Was a well-made sign, looked professionally done. Very readable from a distance. Somebody must really be upset with him. Doesn't he own that condo project?

That cracks me up; I'd love to see a pic of that signage.

What's going on?

:ph34r:

[The guy] is upset because I guess he thought he would live in a 100+ old building with wood floors and never hear his neighbors above him. I have been told that Ed DeVries offered to buy the place for what [the guy] originally paid for it and was refused. Next [DeVries] offered to move him into one of his condo developments on the southeast side and again was turned down..so now [this guy] is suing.. I expect this sign to be up for a while...at least the yellow balloons are gone...

Some people.. are sloooooow learners:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8920205

:dontknow:

hahaha...wow.

MILWAUKEE, Mich. (WOOD) -- Two West Michigan men now charged with bank fraud after attempting to purchase a half-million dollar yacht using a Wisconsin man's identity.

And where were the articles about Michigan annexing Milwaukee? I think the local press was really caught sleeping on that one. Does that make GR the 3rd largest city in Michigan? :thumbsup: