The Watering Hole

I was thinking of asking area churches for tours to study the architecture of them Maybe I'll see about gathering together a lunch-n-learner.

I did a similar tour like this about 3 years ago. I'm not sure if they were the 5 oldest churches, but looked at the architecture and the stain glass windows. I don't remember who put it on, it could have been part of the art museum.

St Adolphus

St Mary's

Park Congregational

Fountain St. (we didn't get on the bus for St. Andrews because the nice little old lady at St. Mary's spend 5 minutes talking about each stain glass. The tour leader had to stop her after the 6th of 12 stain glass windows.)

St Andrews

Anyone is welcome to poke their head in at the Winchester. The framing for the new store front went in yesterday afternoon. The big wood structure is ready to come down soon.

Yesterday I was at Barstools & More on Lake Eastbrook and the Beltline looking for new pub furniture. Somehow the subject changed to some new developments going on in the Heritage Hill and near surrounding neighborhood. The sales lady, very nice person, starts telling me a story about a customer who came in a few days earlier, loud, crass, lot's of offensive language, looking for 20 stools for a "strip club in Heritage Hill."

At close to $100 a stool, that's a pretty substantial investment. One still has to buy the stripper pole and given today's metal prices, that's not going to be cheap either. :P Perhaps I missed something and wasn't aware City Planning already had a meeting for a special land use. My prediction - Something is going to be in the news, and probably not positive, in the next year.

Edited by plee30

Yesterday I was at Barstools & More on Lake Eastbrook and the Beltline looking for new pub furniture. Somehow the subject changed to some new developments going on in the Heritage Hill and near surrounding neighborhood. The sales lady, very nice person, starts telling me a story about a customer who came in a few days earlier, loud, crass, lot's of offensive language, looking for 20 stools for a "strip club in Heritage Hill."

At close to $100 a stool, that's a pretty substantial investment. One still has to buy the stripper pole and given today's metal prices, that's not going to be cheap either. :P Perhaps I missed something and wasn't aware City Planning already had a meeting for a special land use. My prediction - Something is going to be in the news, and probably not positive, in the next year.

Geez Paul. This is how rumors start. :whistling:

I thought that zoning wouldn't allow that there. Maybe I'm wrong but something tells me that wouldn't happen.

A strip club would certainly be an innovative application of the City's new "Form-Based" codes.

Looks like ROTHBURY may have been only a one-time event (we'll see next week).

I hope not...

Still, it's good to see that the festival is a consideration with this transition. I was afraid that it would get forgotten in the shuffle.

So, if they get this straightened out soon, looks like they'll start booking acts for next year ASAP.

The official site accidentally posted dates for next year's festival, and the mounted horse people have a job posting on their website. The dates aren't on the site anymore, but they replaced the announcement with a notice to sign up for updates for Rothbury 2009.

Edited by Rhino6885

That would be a great horror movie character.

It could be a sequel to Maximum Overdrive, a really bad 80s movie written and directed by Stephen King (with an original score by...you guessed it, AC/DC!) where the semi trucks (among other machines) came to life and terrorized Emilio Estevez!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091499/awards

Went to the Y. Flipped through some channels on the elliptical. Watched some happy Claymation blobs sing what turned out to be an aria, then morph into decorations on a cake. Watched an orchestra play back-up to Marilyn Horne singing an aria.

Flipped to a new channel, and there was Jay Fowler doing a Powerpoint for the Press Club. Slides showing the history of new multi-family buildings DT. It was lighthearted (not a lip reader) and the best part was the potato chip truck that happened to be on MC by Scary Wigs. Jay's.

Time frame was before the GRAM opened (a rendering was shown). I hung out on the elliptical some ten minutes longer than planned, waiting for the good part.

I should get me some earbud headphones.

What's on everyone's Thanksgiving menu? I think I will make salmon on the grill in cedar paper. Then the usual sides. Free range turkey for those who partake, and topping it all off with pumkin pie.

I usually make a homemade stuffing recipe I got from the Joy of Cooking cookbook in 2004 when I was in Tallahassee with my cousin for Thanksgiving. We made a 16 lb. bird for the two of us. There were a few leftovers for the long bus ride home. :)

What's on everyone's Thanksgiving menu? I think I will make salmon on the grill in cedar paper. Then the usual sides. Free range turkey for those who partake, and topping it all off with pumkin pie.

My family will be smoking a turkey, and serving it with all the usual sides; twice baked mashed potatoes, sausage filled stuffing, home made turkey gravy made with the drippings, (Apple smoked turkey gravy? omgs, so good!), and all kinds of good stuff.

Typical just outside the suburbs style cooking :D