The Watering Hole

Weekend listeners to Michigan Radio would have gotten a jolt on Saturday. The day sponsor was apparently someone from Ohio (or with scarlet & grey blood in his/her veins).

Pretty funny. I messaged the station to suggest that they raise the rate for similar future tweaks.

My wife and I were driving in the car Saturday afternoon and laughed when we heard another day sponsor's name on NPR. The name given was a Mike Hunt. No lie. We looked at each other just to make sure we heard it right, then started laughing out loud.

Edited by plee30

• 2 weeks later...

What is with channel 35 playing Yanni and TSO instead of the Antiques Road Show? I am disappointed every monday. Plus, I would like to see the show they filmed in Grand Rapids soon.

I think I saw that the GR episode of Antiques Road Show wouldn't be until April 09.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/schedule.html

• 2 weeks later...

What has happened to this world? I truly and completely agree with Ian Rand that the masses are incurably ignorant.

~John

Did you mean Ayn Rand? Her name is pronounced similarly to Ian (eye-n).

And yes, do tell, to what were you referring?

...Personally I tend to hold the philosophy that we are ALL incurably ignorant to a lamentably distant point. I know people are stupid because I am one and boy am I stupid sometimes... :dontknow:

Did you mean Ayn Rand? Her name is pronounced similarly to Ian (eye-n).

And yes, do tell, to what were you referring?

...Personally I tend to hold the philosophy that we are ALL incurably ignorant to a lamentably distant point. I know people are stupid because I am one and boy am I stupid sometimes... :dontknow:

Yes Ayn Rand. Thank you for the correct spelling.

Not referring to anything specific. Just that I have learned that the masses are truly incurably ignorant. The masses will never get, underdstand life or even the meaning of life for that matter.

~John

Yes Ayn Rand. Thank you for the correct spelling.

Not referring to anything specific. Just that I have learned that the masses are truly incurably ignorant. The masses will never get, underdstand life or even the meaning of life for that matter.

~John

Not a fan of Rand myself. All that self-centeredness seems like it would lead to a very lonely and depressing life (no matter how much potential you were able to reach).

Here's my new-old refurbished horn, a fine vintage product of the GR Band Instrument Co. And my kettle-red coat, obtained at a certain thrift on 28th St.

http://photos.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/2...ukiewicz_4.html

When I was reading that story on Sunday I put glove and coat and horn together and figured that must be you. :)

Anyone get cold just watching the Bears vs. Packers game? I believe they said the wind chill at the game's start was -12F (temp of 2F). It was supposed to get a bit warmer as the night went on, but that is still just ridiculous!! I wasn't able to watch it live because I don't pay for television, but I wish I could have.

And in other football related watering hole talk, is anyone else contemplating going to watch the BCS championship game in 3-D at our locally owned Celebration North? http://celebrationcinema.com/?pid=184&...lField=01/08/09

Even though $20 seems pretty steep, I'm really curious to see what this technology that I've read pretty good reviews of is like in person.

Anyone get cold just watching the Bears vs. Packers game? I believe they said the wind chill at the game's start was -12F (temp of 2F). It was supposed to get a bit warmer as the night went on, but that is still just ridiculous!! I wasn't able to watch it live because I don't pay for television, but I wish I could have.

And in other football related watering hole talk, is anyone else contemplating going to watch the BCS championship game in 3-D at our locally owned Celebration North? http://celebrationcinema.com/?pid=184&...lField=01/08/09

Even though $20 seems pretty steep, I'm really curious to see what this technology that I've read pretty good reviews of is like in person.

I don't pay for tv either, but went to the Queen's Pub to watch it. Lots of Greenbay fans there being extra noisy because of my full Bears get up. It looked cold. Bears prevailed, go Bears.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else thinking of canceling their GR Press subscription because the paper seems to be about half as thick and our most recent bill said that the price is going up? If you're going to take both of those actions, don't you think you'd space them out so your customers don't feel like their getting completely ripped off?

Edited by fotoman311

Anyone else thinking of cancelling their GR Press subscription because the paper seems to be about half as thick and our most recent bill said that the price is going up? If you're going to take both of those actions, don't you think you'd space them out so your customers don't feel like their getting completely ripped off?

Yup

Edited by Raildudes dad

The Thursday and Friday editions seemed to have their "normal" number of sections. I expect that the classified ads have fallen way off, and the weekend adverts are carrying the rest of the week. Hey, just like at the Freep! It appears that they are not boosting the page count on the slow ad days (I used to work in publishing).

Having Sports and classifieds all in the second section is much easier for my recycling purposes: straight to the bin. Wish that Parade and USA Weekend drivel would just go away.

I'm a newspaper reader; it would take more than a price increase to make me stop. I remember when the Detroit dailies were 15 cents.

Anyone else thinking of canceling their GR Press subscription because the paper seems to be about half as thick and our most recent bill said that the price is going up? If you're going to take both of those actions, don't you think you'd space them out so your customers don't feel like their getting completely ripped off?

Yes, I am. I think combined, my wife and I now only spend 10 minutes browsing the paper each evening. I may actually read only 2-3 articles in their entirety. The rest of it, I just skim. The majority of it seems to be wire reports or day(s)-old opinion pieces from the NY Times, Washington Post, or Wall St. Journal. It's old news by the time it appears in the Press. IMO, the paper version of the Press is no longer worth the money, especially when it's available online (I prefer to read a hard copy versus web version, but only if I spend a fair amount of time actually reading the articles).

Yes, I am. I think combined, my wife and I now only spend 10 minutes browsing the paper each evening. I may actually read only 2-3 articles in their entirety. The rest of it, I just skim. The majority of it seems to be wire reports or day(s)-old opinion pieces from the NY Times, Washington Post, or Wall St. Journal. It's old news by the time it appears in the Press. IMO, the paper version of the Press is no longer worth the money, especially when it's available online (I prefer to read a hard copy versus web version, but only if I spend a fair amount of time actually reading the articles).

We're probably leaning towards keeping it. We talked about it a little more and we just like having the paper version to casually browse through in the evening. I really wish they would go back to a full page of the A to Z news though. I know I could get it online, but that's not convenient. Sometimes you can (or should I say could have?) find some really interesting things on that page.