The Watering Hole

CertifiChecks went out of business and left a lot of people and organizations stranded. Check out LF website for details on how to request a refund from that company: www.localfirst.com. Also, the $15 Local First Coupon Books are not affected by this. They're still available and being accepted by participating retailers. There has been some confusion about these two offerings.

Just to be clear: Local First is not going out of business. The vendor that maintained their gift certificate program, CertifiChecks, is going out of business. Lot of rumors circulating about LF being in financial trouble, and that's false.

Here:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

The (long-existing) bridge over the river has a concrete deck and Kent Trails banners. First view: the camera was sitting in the intersection of that bridge and the trail. Pano view was shot from the east, with the river bridge on the left of frame.

Somewhere I probably have a shot of what the old trestle bridge used to look like...

Edited by Veloise

I want to hear your thoughts on the Cramer vs. Stewart debacle.

24 hour "news" stations (or any "news" station) should be required by law to not give legal or financial advice. People build a trust for the people they watch and DO make decisions based on their on-air comments and recommendations. If they don't outlaw it (which they won't), stations have to take more responsibility to 1) state that it's not advice but OPINION, and 2) make the personalities accountable. CNBC should be worried about Cramer giving bad advice and a lawsuit ensuing.

I like that Jon Stewart continues to keep people honest, though he can be overkill at times just like the rest. It was brutal watching Cramer on the show, but Cramer made some interesting comments the next day on his show ("I have the utmost respect for this person...").

Oh, and the word "booya" makes me want to vomit. I may have to move if I ever hear "A big Dutch Booya from Grand Rapids, Michigan" :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone go to the soup tasting on Wealthy? I was taken aback at the amounts of people. Good times.

We were there. It was super crowded. They could have setup the tables better so that there wasn't that wasted space in the SE corner. Either that, or make it clear that standing in front of the tables and eating your soup was not kosher. It was REALLY hard to get to the soups in the two corners, and many places, there were a bunch of soup cups just sitting on the tables, but nobody could get to them because people were standing right in front of the tables talking and eating.

Great time still. Can't wait for that place to open. How much money did they make?

Edited by fotoman311

Anyone go to the soup tasting on Wealthy? I was taken aback at the amounts of people. Good times.

I was there and had a great time! The soups were interesting and tasty. Definitely lots of friendly people running businesses on Wealthy. As well as lots of friendly people who came out to support. It was a little crowded, but to me, that just added to the fun. Congrats to the Sparrows for taking the Soup Challenge title with their Chilled Strawberry Soup. It was delicious!

Rhino, I saw you, but didn't get a chance to say hi!

*fish

Edited by starrfish

We were there. It was super crowded. They could have setup the tables better so that there wasn't that wasted space in the SE corner. Either that, or make it clear that standing in front of the tables and eating your soup was not kosher. It was REALLY hard to get to the soups in the two corners, and many places, there were a bunch of soup cups just sitting on the tables, but nobody could get to them because people were standing right in front of the tables talking and eating.

Great time still. Can't wait for that place to open. How much money did they make?

I think if it happens again the logistics will be worked out differently. Maybe a single roped off line with more relaxing and eating space away from the soups. I am pretty sure the WSBA's net take was around $1,400. Not bad.

I think if it happens again the logistics will be worked out differently. Maybe a single roped off line with more relaxing and eating space away from the soups. I am pretty sure the WSBA's net take was around $1,400. Not bad.

In my view, the problem was CAUSED by the single line. People seemed to think they were in some line going around the entire table, but what they were really doing was blocking anyone else from getting the soup samples that were sitting on the tables.

Better signs would be a must as well.

Edited by fotoman311

It was a great time! I saw you too Starfish--hopefully you got to try our vegetarian chowder. I was surprised at the number of people who asked us if it was vegetarian. I never thought the number would be that high. The bills are still coming in, but I think Jackson is right on the proceeds. I think some people sneaked in without making a donation, but you'll always get some of that. All in all, it was a great event. I can honestly say that I would PAY for any of the soups there in a restaurant. Rumor has it that they're compiling a recipe book of all the soups there. Ok, back to my leftovers (I'll be eating it for weeks...)

I was there too. Crowded but fun. Saw many familiar faces, not all of whom I could place. Glad for all involved that it was so successful, especially WSBA. Organizers can try to learn from it, but unexpected things will always arise. Sounds like the biggest surprise was the huge turnout. Not all bad.

Rhino, have you frozen any of your leftover soup? Or you could invite us all over to help you finish it off. ;)

It was a great time! I saw you too Starfish--hopefully you got to try our vegetarian chowder. I was surprised at the number of people who asked us if it was vegetarian. I never thought the number would be that high. The bills are still coming in, but I think Jackson is right on the proceeds. I think some people sneaked in without making a donation, but you'll always get some of that. All in all, it was a great event. I can honestly say that I would PAY for any of the soups there in a restaurant. Rumor has it that they're compiling a recipe book of all the soups there. Ok, back to my leftovers (I'll be eating it for weeks...)

I was there too. Crowded but fun. Saw many familiar faces, not all of whom I could place. Glad for all involved that it was so successful, especially WSBA. Organizers can try to learn from it, but unexpected things will always arise. Sounds like the biggest surprise was the huge turnout. Not all bad.

Rhino, have you frozen any of your leftover soup? Or you could invite us all over to help you finish it off. ;)

When and Where??? :good: PARTY!

Maybe you could bring it to the Puzzle Bee on Sunday? ( http://blog.electriccheetah.com/2009/03/el...puzzle-bee.html ) Think it would keep?

Edited by fotoman311

FYI:

For anyone with kids in grade school, the Delta Plex has an event all week for them called Kids Expo. It is an indoor "amusement park" with things like Gladiator matches, riding mechanical bull, belly surfing, and bungy jumping. There is a lot more than that, but those are the ones that come to mind.

It is 10 bucks for the whole day.

We were wondering if it would be any good; judging by the flood of pictures I am receiving they are having a good time. It goes through the weekend.

Edited by Yankee Fan

FYI:

For anyone with kids in grade school, the Delta Plex has an event all week for them called Kids Expo. It is an indoor "amusement park" with things like Gladiator matches, riding mechanical bull, belly surfing, and bungy jumping. There is a lot more than that, but those are the ones that come to mind.

It is 10 bucks for the whole day.

We were wondering if it would be any good; judging by the flood of pictures I am receiving they are having a good time. It goes through the weekend.

I saw that. We're thinking of checking it out later this week. Adults are free too, which is a pretty good deal.