The Watering Hole

I saw that yesterday! I want a tweenbot.

Anyhow, something I've been meaning to ask for about a year now but keep forgetting about by the time I come home. What's up with the gurgling storm drains? I've noticed them on Grandville, Commerce, and South Division. It isn't a constant gurgling. It's silent for a time, then suddenly "gurgle gurgle SLOOSH." Most storm drains I've seen do this also emit steam or other visible gases. What causes these to do this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

large_1bondo16.jpg

Delbridge Langdon Jr. {sodEmoji.|} The Grand Rapids Press

Ugh... Digital Desert Camouflage unees? Seriously, Whitecaps? That's how you celebrate Armed Forces Day at the ballpark?

Speaking as one who just got off active duty, I appreciate the show of support and all... But I want you guys to look good too. Why can't you just wear a yellow ribbon or a flag or something?

When I lived in San Diego, the Padres wore camouflage every Sunday home game. To come home to GR and see our team doing the same thing... I mean, what else is there to say, but "ugh." :sick:

201621367.jpg

Edited by RegalTDP

Somewhere on UP is a listing of progression through the various "levels." Perhaps one of the global types could help with a pointer.

On Cyburbia, every 1000th post is heralded with a special thread about "teh Clube" (mispellings deliberate). Odometer is provided by the number of b-characters in the second word. Forum users then pile on with a multitude of comments about slacking. It's pretty cute.

I stumbled upon The Grand Lady riverboat docking area whilst exploring some trails along the river. No boat, and the ticket booth seemed dark and unused. I had completely forgotten the thing even existed, so I went to the website, and all I see are schedules for October 2008. Did the company fold up over the winter or is the boat still in operation? Without any bicycle trails or buses connecting Grand Haven with Grand Rapids, the idea of using a boat to leisurely get there sounds appealing but I have no idea if it's still in service.

I stumbled upon The Grand Lady riverboat docking area whilst exploring some trails along the river. No boat, and the ticket booth seemed dark and unused. I had completely forgotten the thing even existed, so I went to the website, and all I see are schedules for October 2008. Did the company fold up over the winter or is the boat still in operation? Without any bicycle trails or buses connecting Grand Haven with Grand Rapids, the idea of using a boat to leisurely get there sounds appealing but I have no idea if it's still in service.

I just googled it and found a couple of different stories about either private cruises or event related cruises happening this spring so it looks like it's still floating.

Here's one: http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.s...r_old_fash.html

I'm pretty sure it's still in business. I think they moved it because of all the flooding a few weeks ago. It doesn't go all the way to Grand Haven though, when they do their cruises. It's mainly weddings and corporate events, and they go down the river for a while and turn around and come back.

For everyone who needs extra motivation to keep working to improve our city - here's a consistant but always poignant reminder of what we want to avoid.

Adam Ross/Leaving Detroit Behind -- Washington Post

Here's a nice piece from yesterday's Detroit Free Press, still located in Detroit, 178 years.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090607/COL3...+saved+Michigan

Here's another.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090607/OPIN...eft+of+Michigan?

Another:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090531/BLOG...roit+s+promise+

Oh heck, just get it direct. Freep.com

Edited by Veloise

Grand Lady cruise:

On Sunday, June 28, we will be going on the Grand River Lady Boat Cruise. This is a Picnic Cruise. Be there to board the boat at 12:30 PM. Cruise is from 1:00 to 3:00. Bring a picnic lunch. There is a Full Cash Bar on board. Cost is $15 for the Cruise. No RSVP necessary. Just show up and pay at the door. Located at 4243 Indian Mounds Drive, SW Grandville, MI 49418

Sent to me from one of the singles' groups.