The Watering Hole

I wonder how many people from across Michigan, or even out of state come to see this. It seems like a pretty unique event.

I believe it's one of the largest butterfly blooms in the country. The Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha opened a butterfly exhibit in one of their zoo renovations 3 or 4 years ago, but it's only 1/3 to 1/2 the size of what Meijer Gardens puts on.

• Like 1

I believe it's one of the largest butterfly blooms in the country. The Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha opened a butterfly exhibit in one of their zoo renovations 3 or 4 years ago, but it's only 1/3 to 1/2 the size of what Meijer Gardens puts on.

They seem to have expanded it this year. It used to only be in the large greenhouse, but it is in the side rooms this year as well. Pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

The best coverage that I've seen has been on the political blog Eclectablog. He's been doing a lot of work connecting various dots. There are some important links to Fred Upton in here, as well as some with McClendon of Saugatuck Dunes fame. Fwiw, Maddow gave him a shout out this week. For some pushback to the Maddow coverage, check out Julie Mack on MLive. The comments can be a pain, but on the third or fourth page there are some significant ones adding to or otherwise refuting Mack. And of course, Maddow's team has been stirring it up (a little to much, if you ask Eric at Michigan Liberal -- another story), but they do have a number of links.

Does any one know what the story is with Benton Harbor and the emergency manager and how all this relates to the proposed golf course/country club there?
Edited by wmrharris

Sneak peak was in the headline. I don't do Facebook, but thanks for the warm welcome to the site on my first post.

Welcome to Urbanplanet, Hoeks! Thank you for posting this for those that hadn't seen it already.

I like the ad, but I find myself thinking of lots of other things I wish they'd included. :) Only so many shots fit into :25 seconds, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Free spring bulbs, you pick up

A local wholesale grower gets rid of unsold product (think Easter and Mother's Day) by transporting the pots to a nearby compost-pile-to-be. One of my neighbors passed along some of these treasures last year, and as a result my tiny plot rivals anything in the city of Holland.

This year I went to see for myself.

bulbs.jpg

PM me for details.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Want to see what downtown used to look like? Bill Vits tells me that this was filmed at the location that's now RPC. And the columnar building...that's the facade now installed at Gaslight Village.

(Bill is the principal percussionist for a couple local bands. We were discussing the use of taped music in lipdubs, and how this town is bursting with folks who could perform almost any tune [e.g. American Pie] quite well.)

• Like 1

Wish I could remember the old park there, it looks pretty neat. Unfortunately I still don't understand fashion in the 90s.

Guess I'm older than I realize cause I have some fond memories of times spent at the Monroe Center Amphitheater and that brought some back. I like the openness of RPC, but there was something about the old setup...

This was clearly done in the 80's, the era of neon. My brother and I had some awesome neon coordinating shirt/short combos.

Edited by amylynne

The old park was bermed along Monroe, with a fountain down at the Monroe/Pearl intersection. I really liked that fountain. I vaguely remember (mid-70s) when Monroe came down and curved. The big downtown event in the 80s was the extension of Monroe and the construction of the park..

To go back to Veloise -- the columned building would be McKay Tower (still standing) -- the building that went to East, was an old bank building on what is now the Art Museum.

Edited by wmrharris

The old amphitheater had it's time. Great memories of it when I first got here to G.R. almost 14 years ago. With Monroe Center ending at Ottawa is was more secluded and was a hang out for the low and no income people. Rosa Parks Circle with Monroe Center going all the way to Monroe Street has opened it up, making it more suitable for business and activities for family enjoyment. Wow, the new Grand Rapids Art Museum sure has helped the area also.

Grand Rapids is more blessed than many realize.

~John Eisenschenk

• 2 weeks later...

Want to see what downtown used to look like? Bill Vits tells me that this was filmed at the location that's now RPC. And the columnar building...that's the facade now installed at Gaslight Village.

(Bill is the principal percussionist for a couple local bands. We were discussing the use of taped music in lipdubs, and how this town is bursting with folks who could perform almost any tune [e.g. American Pie] quite well.)

W.T.F!!! Thats was a terrible song lol

I heard the Grand Rapids Brewing Company is closing. I wonder, what with the expansion of Founder's, and so many other brewpubs and drinking destinations popping up in the center of town, if there wasn't any room for them anymore.

Sad to see an old company go. Then again, I've never been there either, and I'm from Kentwood.

I heard the Grand Rapids Brewing Company is closing. I wonder, what with the expansion of Founder's, and so many other brewpubs and drinking destinations popping up in the center of town, if there wasn't any room for them anymore.

Sad to see an old company go. Then again, I've never been there either, and I'm from Kentwood.

While I am not a drinker, it seems to me that atmosphere matters. And one could wander between the Arena District and Founders, enjoying the journey. My former employer colleagues used to go to the GRBC for events; you can sit on the side facing 28th street, or the parking lot.

As it says on my featured bus, let's go. downtown.

From what I understand, GRBC was bought from its former owner a year or so ago. In addition to some issues with the ownership change (I know there was a dispute between the former and new owner as to who was responsible for covering gift certificates), the food went downhill. The last time I was there (in March), the menu was extremely limited and the food was not very good. It used to be one of my favorite restaurants, but after my last experience I was not eager to go back; I suspect I'm not the only one with this experience.

Edited by organsnyder

• 2 weeks later...